Watts Up...?
Feb 7, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #3,077 of 4,674
Thanks a lot for reply @Rob Watts . One thing more, is mojo 2 firmware user upgradable ?
There's no way Chord will allow the firmware to be upgraded by end users, considering the proprietary code involved.

On the other hand though, it means that Rob has to get things perfect the first time.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #3,078 of 4,674
There's no way Chord will allow the firmware to be upgraded by end users, considering the proprietary code involved.

On the other hand though, it means that Rob has to get things perfect the first time.
Not the firmware update in the sense of filtering algorithm but for slight changes in ui like indication of sample rate , eq , steps of volume control

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #3,079 of 4,674
Not the firmware update in the sense of filtering algorithm but for slight changes in ui like indication of sample rate , eq , steps of volume control
For an FPGA, it requires that the entire firmware be replaced, if I'm not mistaken.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #3,080 of 4,674

Given I spent 14 years working as a consultant to semiconductor companies, the discipline of getting it right first time is ingrained. When mask costs are in the millions of dollars, you have to spend considerable time on getting it right - and that means lots of testing, simulation and verification. I carry that process through with my FPGA designs.

But there are other reasons - when a design is finished, I want to maximize the performance with the given hardware. And since I have a lot of products in production, once a design is done then I am finished with it, and it's performance is frozen. The benefit to the consumer is that every product you hear should all be identical - a Dave from 2015 will sound identical to a 2022 Dave.

Another point - I am not interested in silly "upgrades" just to increase sales - as Mojo 2 shows - when a new product comes out, it represents a substantial improvement. And all of these improvements require new hardware, and a huge investment in my time to get it right.

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #3,082 of 4,674
Actually I don't know either - all I know is I haven't started work on a replacement to Dave at all.

Thanks Rob for this info..
I just got myself a Dave😊 and Ohmy.. straight i'm hearing what the noise shaping does with the depth of the sound! Cause thats what differs the most with Qutest both Mscaled right?

No sleep for me this night.. let the exploration begin ♡

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,083 of 4,674
Thanks Rob for this info..
I just got myself a Dave😊 and Ohmy.. straight i'm hearing what the noise shaping does with the depth of the sound! Cause thats what differs the most with Qutest both Mscaled right?

No sleep for me this night.. let the exploration begin ♡
Have you added an MScaler to your DAVE or are you running straight from it please?

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #3,084 of 4,674
Have you added an MScaler to your DAVE or are you running straight from it please?

Its with HMS.
The guy from whom i bought it also heard it with HMS in his system for the 1st time cause i brought it with me.. he almost did'nt let me buy his Dave anymore 😄 .. i made a new friend in the process

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,085 of 4,674
Its with HMS.
The guy from whom i bought it also heard it with HMS in his system for the 1st time cause i brought it with me.. he almost did'nt let me buy his Dave anymore 😄 .. i made a new friend in the process
Fab! I’m pondering the addition of a DAVE with my MScaler. I currently run a TT2/MScaler. A bit concerned the DAVE will be a bit too bright for me and perhaps lack a bit of bass from what I’ve been reading far…..

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #3,086 of 4,674
Fab! I’m pondering the addition of a DAVE with my MScaler. I currently run a TT2/MScaler. A bit concerned the DAVE will be a bit too bright for me and perhaps lack a bit of bass from what I’ve been reading far…..
Sorry i'm intoxicated.. i'm having trouble concentrating.. my music is pulling me in..

I also read that the Amp section in TT2 is further improved.. at least can deliver more peak current.. but that should'nt change brightness etc..

i think Daves 20e pulse array and filters give more refinement compared to TT2's and my Qutest 10e one..
Thats the reason i did'nt consider TT2

I'm listening to Dave through my Current mode headphone amp now.. i will compare it with Dave's direct HP out later.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #3,087 of 4,674
Sorry i'm intoxicated.. i'm having trouble concentrating.. my music is pulling me in..

I also read the the Amp section in TT2 is further improved.. at least can deliver more peak current.. but that should'nt change brightness etc..

I'm listening to Dave through my Current mode headphone amp now.. i will compare it with Dave's direct HP out later.
Thank you. I really look forward to your thoughts on the HP out as soon as convenient.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,088 of 4,674
To me the Daves better bass is one of the differences between it and TT2 . . .

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #3,089 of 4,674
There is no lack of bass in the Dave and it’s not bright as far as I am concerned.

I had the TT2 with M-Scaler and upgraded the TT2 to a Dave (I had them both at the same time and compared).

I would say the bass has more detail and definition on the Dave.

I was immediately convinced by the Dave and have not regretted the change for one moment.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #3,090 of 4,674
There is no lack of bass in the Dave and it’s not bright as far as I am concerned.

I had the TT2 with M-Scaler and upgraded the TT2 to a Dave (I had them both at the same time and compared).

I would say the bass has more detail and definition on the Dave.

I was immediately convinced by the Dave and have not regretted the change for one moment.
Thanks for your thoughts... most appreciated. Have you an MScaler attached to the DAVE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back