Watts Up...?
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #3,047 of 4,685
Let’s say “better” is not the right word. “Proffered” is more fit for purpose
No, IMO better is the more accurate description for what I heard with Dave compared to TT2+Mscaler. To my ears the Mscaler cannot replace the transparency in going from Dave to TT2+Mscaler but I accept that some may prefer the latter combination as being nearer to the sound they like. We are (mostly) all different in our tastes. 😀

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #3,048 of 4,685
Coupling capacitors have a few problems - one is increased distortion at bass (20Hz I use as a test) and that's due to the capacitance value changing with applied voltage. The second is dielectric absorption, where charge is discharged some time later than it should do. These two effects accounts for the soft warm and slightly imprecise bass when using coupling caps.

Curious..
When i had my mojo i found it sounding a bit 'rolled off' in the high frequency area and sounding less 'transparent' compared to my AK120 in that time.. ive read that that it had a fixed filter applied like the ones i can select in Qutest/H2.

The fact i couldnt switch that filter off actually made me going for the Qutest where i can use it without filter.

Now im confused that the warmer sound of M1 was caused by a capacitor..

Does the M2 still have this fixed filter.. or is it discarded and replaced by the EQ function?
So it can sound as 'open' as a Qutest on 'white'

Regards,
Rick

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3,050 of 4,685
No, IMO better is the more accurate description for what I heard with Dave compared to TT2+Mscaler. To my ears the Mscaler cannot replace the transparency in going from Dave to TT2+Mscaler but I accept that some may prefer the latter combination as being nearer to the sound they like. We are (mostly) all different in our tastes. 😀

So just to speculate.. Dave is nearing the age of 7 years.. with all its little brothers already improved.. i guess its getting time for the king to be followed up..

I'm hesitating cause now that i acquired funds to afford one.. i cant help thinking if i get one.. shortly after it comes a announcement 😏

I know.. Rob's lips remain sealed on this matter..

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #3,052 of 4,685
So just to speculate.. Dave is nearing the age of 7 years.. with all its little brothers already improved.. i guess its getting time for the king to be followed up..

I'm hesitating cause now that i acquired funds to afford one.. i cant help thinking if i get one.. shortly after it comes a announcement 😏

I know.. Rob's lips remain sealed on this matter..
The last time the master mentioned Dave 2 it was not even on his ‘to do’ list. The next Choral range product is expected to be a second Mscaler to join Dave later in 2022. I am saving my pennies for that to plug into my Dave rather than thinking there will be a new Dave even in 2023.

There is only one man who does know but as you say his lips are sealed. If you are worried, buy a second hand Dave but I think there is plenty of life left in the Dave, especially when it is joined by a Dave equivalent Mscaler.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #3,053 of 4,685
The last time the master mentioned Dave 2 it was not even on his ‘to do’ list. The next Choral range product is expected to be a second Mscaler to join Dave later in 2022. I am saving my pennies for that to plug into my Dave rather than thinking there will be a new Dave even in 2023.

There is only one man who does know but as you say his lips are sealed. If you are worried, buy a second hand Dave but I think there is plenty of life left in the Dave, especially when it is joined by a Dave equivalent Mscaler.

Speaking about 2nd hand..
I just missed a €5k 2nd hand opportunity..

I can afford new but it has a terrible WAF
(wife acceptance factor) if i choose to get this discusson 'pain' i better get settled for at least the next 5 years

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #3,054 of 4,685
That’s why I said “preferred”. Not all are after ultimate transparency.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,056 of 4,685
My gut feeling is that tt2 with its fuller warmer more grounded sound excels with the right type of headphone where synergy between transducer and dac is vital. The mscaler digs deep into detail regardless. Dave with its cinematic wide and transparent soundstage shines more with suitable speakers IMHO. Then again with the right synergy and the right headphone that transparent presentation we get with dave can be quite compelling. There are two sides to this story. A little diplomacy helps....My preference at the moment with my oppo planar magnetic 1 headphone is firmly set with mTT2 over solo dave and more than likely also over mDave. Synergy between various hi end audio components can't be explained with normal logic as sometimes it just sounds right and you don't know why that is it just is.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,057 of 4,685

I absolutely agree with you and anyone else striving for the closest approach the the "real thing" ie as close as possible to the actual sound of unamplified acoustic instruments regarding which is better between TT2 and Dave.
IMO "another audiophile" seems to be arguing here mainly for the sake of arguing and apparently without understanding the meaning of better in this context.
His recent posts reminds me of another excellent Monty Python Episode, guess which one!
There can only be ONE winner here ie the DAC that gets closest to that goal and yes DAVE was clearly is BETTER ie More Transparent in all comparative auditions I have made between the two. But I would not use either of the two without an Mscaler or possibly?similar SQ software based upscaling.

Mscaler helps narrowing the gap to such an extent that for me personally the price difference is MUCH bigger than the actual 10-15% improvement in transparency and realism it imho,brings over TT2 and Qutest which is not that far behind TT2, that I am still after all these years like quite a few here, patiently waiting for DAVE to come down to a MUCH more affordable price level and sticking with my Qutest /Mscaler until that happens.

Regarding Rob´s "sealed lips" seeing that Mojo 2 according to the circuit board picture posted recently was actually a project he finished already in 2020!

I really wonder when we will get an opportunity to hear what he has REALLY been cooking these 2 Covid years!
It was obviously NOT Mojo 2!
But I fear Mscaler X will be priced at a similarly ridulous "Pennies" price level as DAVE when it is released ie not affordable for me and many others.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,058 of 4,685
I absolutely agree with you are anyone else striving for the closest approach the the "real thing" ie as close as possible to the actual sound of unamplified acoustic instruments regarding which is better between TT2 and Dave .
IMO "another audiophile" seems to be arguing here mainly for the sake of arguing and without understanding the true meaning of better in this context. His recent posts re minds me of another excellent Monty Python episode guess which one!
There can only be ONE winner here ie the one that gets closest to that goal and yes DAVE was clearly is BETTER ie more transparent in all comparative auditions I have made between the two.
But Mscaler helps narrowing the gap to such an extent that for me the price difference is MUCH bigger than the actual 10-15% improvement in transparency and realism it imho,brings over TT2 and Qutest which is not that far behind TT2, that I am still after all these years like quite a few here, patiently waiting for DAVE to come down to a MUCH more affordable price level and sticking with my Qutest /Mscaler until that happens.
Regarding Rob´s "sealed lips" seeing that Mojo 2 according to the circuit board picture posted recently was actually a project he finished already in 2020!
I really wonder when we will get an opportunity to hear what he has REALLY been cooking these 2 Covid years!
It was obviously NOT Mojo 2!
But I fear Mscaler X will be priced at a similarly ridulously VERY HIGH price level as DAVE when it is released.
Cheers CC
”Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?” 🤣😜👍

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,059 of 4,685
Mscaler is vital with h2 up the chain to dave and without it this endeavour for me would be a waste of time. From 2D TO 3D with mscaled music. However not all music is unamplified and acoustic. There is plenty of music outside of full scale unamplified acoustic orchestral music. As i type this i am experimenting with new sounds digging deep into tidal's catalogue listening to popular music from Romania and it is giving me great joy. I also played classical violin for many years.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #3,060 of 4,685

Similar to a reply that I posted recently.
Rob does occasionally post about working on the digital amplifier.

In simple speculative terms, I am expecting the Choral range MScaler this year, [edit] then the Choral range digital amplifier (ie Dave1 - the upscaler + output stage to provide approx 25W) in 2023 (at the earliest). feels much too optimistic, based on this post

To try and respond to @Reactcore question, you have 3 relatively simple options/choices:
  • Do nothing now but continue saving money for what could become an expensive future in a few years - no short-term enjoyment
  • Buy a second hand Dave and use it for the next 15 years, whilst you save up for the Choral range MScaler, and then the Choral range digital amplifier) - does allow short-term enjoyment, whilst the middle/long - term Chord roadmap becomes clearer
  • Buy a new Dave and use it for the next 5 years, whilst the middle/long - term Chord roadmap becomes clearer - does allow short-term enjoyment, but carries the risk that Reactore may feel psychologically (or financially) trapped, because he has chosen the most expensive short-term solution
Only Reactcore can make the decision, based on his detailed contextual knowledge of his needs/constraints.
My speculation is given in good faith, but there is always the risk that Rob is ROFL when he reads it. :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back