Watching the Watchmen...
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved it and I had never read a single comic before. I think that it is definitely worth reading. It is a quick read, and brings up some interesting thoughts. I felt like it was trying too hard to be "deep" at points, but overall it was fun and some of the artwork is just fantastic. One thing I really didn't like was the somewhat meta substory with the comic book pirate guy. Anyone who's read it will know what I mean. They did cut that though, so I am happy bout that.

Wow. I really loved the pirate story. It was a consistent metaphor for society as a whole in the rest of the story, and it was so pertinent and appropriate that I felt it added a lot of meaning to the rest of the book. Both parts as seperete stories were good, but together they were great.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think changing the psychic squiddy will not be a big deal - I do not think it is necessary to get the same effect... Leaving out the pirate story is fine - maybe they could add an animated version in an extended DVD. As long as all the events in the comic involving Rorschach are carried over to the movie exactly - then I will be content.

Yeah, a lot got cut due to time restraints such as the Black Freighter arcs, but Snyder has told us that stuff like that and the Hollis Mason arc will all be present in the final Directors Cut, plus there will be a bonus disc that features the Under The Hood Documentary. All in all, the movie is shaping up to be a really good adaptation of the novel.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 77
I will be seeing it and think that even with the change it should still be good.

However, once - just once can we watch the movie and then make an informed decisionas to say "read the book"?

I am just glad when something decent go to film.

Maybe there could be hope for the David eddings belgaraid go to film.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #19 of 77
Yes, I intend to go, partly because my wife is a comic book aficionado. She's heavy into sci-fi as well. While I'm heavy into sci. :wink:

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 77
It's rare that I stray outside of the manga universe when reading graphic novels, but Watchmen was incredibly awesome. I initially had some reservations about the drawing style (looks like a comic from the 80s with the thick black outlines and masculine women), but the story is so good that it's easy to look past it. I have every intention of seeing the film the week it comes out.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a lot got cut due to time restraints such as the Black Freighter arcs, but Snyder has told us that stuff like that and the Hollis Mason arc will all be present in the final Directors Cut, plus there will be a bonus disc that features the Under The Hood Documentary. All in all, the movie is shaping up to be a really good adaptation of the novel.

I haven't bought a single DVD since Blu-Ray has come out. I have been waiting on a cheap Blu-Ray player, or for a movie that I am simply compelled to own - that way I am forced to buy a player (PS3 preferably). If Watchmen turns out to be done very well, and has all the extra goodies on its video release - then it will be the first Blu-Ray movie I will own.

When I went to Comic-Con International in San Diego this year - I won a customized XBOX Elite with DC comics graphics all over it (free). One of the several other XBOXes had Watchmen graphics. Too bad Playstation wasn't giving away PS3s with Watchmen graphics - would have been perfect.

By the way appophylite - how is the weather up there? I lived at Eielson AFB - when I was up there. So cold - the tires on your car would literally freeze in shape overnight. If your tire was sort of flat, and you would drive your car - then it would sound like you were driving on square tires (if you can imagine). Heh. Atleast I had a car to drive to school instead of waiting at a bus stop or walking.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #23 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's rare that I stray outside of the manga universe when reading graphic novels, but Watchmen was incredibly awesome. I initially had some reservations about the drawing style (looks like a comic from the 80s with the thick black outlines and masculine women), but the story is so good that it's easy to look past it. I have every intention of seeing the film the week it comes out.

So maybe they'd look better with eyes 800x too large for their head. Yeah. Cuz that's better.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So maybe they'd look better with eyes 800x too large for their head. Yeah. Cuz that's better.

Or if they looked and acted more like naive teenage girls too. Yeah?

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or if they looked and acted more like naive teenage girls too. Yeah?

That'd be totally awesome, OHHHH???????

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #27 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it wrong to be possibly turned off from a GN based solely on how it is animated? That's the biggest reason it took me a while to get into Watchmen-because I couldn't overcome the 80's animation style of a GN from the 80's. Doesn't mean anything, because once I got over it, I was rewarded by an excellent story.

I've been reading the reviews written by a handful of people who have already seen the pre-screenings and their initial thoughts have me very excited about what to expect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Me for one...just 3 weeks late
frown.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly speaking...movie industry is kinda cold these days...there isnt any movie persuading me to get out of my house and go to a theatre.

dont know about u guys..but i have started watching Sitcoms...and catching up some old movies i didnt see.

since Ironman & Dark Knight...everything looks lame.

go see Taken

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #30 of 77
I can't wait for it personally.. the graphic novel is awesome and I expect the film will live up to it in a big way. FWIW the ending had to be changed because it wouldn't make sense without the Pirate/Horror comic side story which also had to be left out of the film because of time constraints from what I heard a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back