Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #7,071 of 14,276
Quote:

Yep. Preferred the sapphire sandwich over the cheap 'plexiglass' with a fancy name on the original.

Do you put Bose sound systems in your Studebaker as well? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #7,074 of 14,276
Lovely Speedy, love them on straps as well, looks even more old school! Am I right in thinking that another advantage of having the Sapphire is that you also have a clear case back?
I love that option as the movement in this one is worth seeing! I know a lot of folks go with the plexi for a number of reasons, history, ease and cheapness of maintenance and it gives the dial a certain patina. It would be a tough choice for me. I love the look of the plexi but also love the scratch resistance of the sapphire.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #7,075 of 14,276
Quote:
Lovely Speedy, love them on straps as well, looks even more old school! Am I right in thinking that another advantage of having the Sapphire is that you also have a clear case back?
I love that option as the movement in this one is worth seeing! I know a lot of folks go with the plexi for a number of reasons, history, ease and cheapness of maintenance and it gives the dial a certain patina. It would be a tough choice for me. I love the look of the plexi but also love the scratch resistance of the sapphire.

Yes, the sapphire crystal version also has see-through case back. 

If you really prefer the original hesalite crystal (prctical for space applications, but not for terrestial though :wink:) you can get a 3rd party see-through sapphire crystal case back.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #7,076 of 14,276
Actually, until a few years ago, Omega made, I believe, 4 options: hesalite crystal, sapphire crystal (not entirely sure of this one), hesalite with sapphire display back, and sapphire sandwich.  If you look around, I'm sure you could find one with a hesalite crystal and display back.  It was just for the people who wanted the "correct" look of hesalite plus a display back.

Mine is a sapphire sandwich.  However, hesalite is easy to polish and CHEAP to replace (I think OEM Omega hesalite crystals are under $40).  An OEM Omega sapphire crystal is over $300, IIRC.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #7,077 of 14,276
Quote:
Actually, until a few years ago, Omega made, I believe, 4 options: hesalite crystal, sapphire crystal (not entirely sure of this one), hesalite with sapphire display back, and sapphire sandwich.  If you look around, I'm sure you could find one with a hesalite crystal and display back.  It was just for the people who wanted the "correct" look of hesalite plus a display back.

Mine is a sapphire sandwich.  However, hesalite is easy to polish and CHEAP to replace (I think OEM Omega hesalite crystals are under $40).  An OEM Omega sapphire crystal is over $300, IIRC.

For a tech lover like me the sandwich was the only option :)

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #7,080 of 14,276
lol...yeah that would be a relative proposition..actually my wrist is small :)
there are 3 adjustable parts...the whitish half circle on the left has city names, and its adjusted by the push on the left
the inner one has the second time, in hours..its adjusted by the right lower push (and rotates with the timer itself)..
the right upper push is for the date and time adjustments...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back