Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #7,098 of 14,268
Quote:

My DSN Homage. The Panatime straps just come in yesterday. Bent it many times to give that vintage look.

Nice! In that light it looks a bit like one of those new bronze-look cases you see popping up. Here are my Pams:

attachment.php

The phantom Fiddy is by Jackson Tse, the traditional Radiomir by Tricon.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #7,100 of 14,268
Quote:
Are they as good as Panerai watches ?

They cost about $120. A Panerai costs about $7000. I think the homages may have cut the costs somewhere. :wink: Personally I believe Panerai, like Rolex, are vastly overpricing their watches though. There is nothing in, or about, a Panerai that justifies it's price. Apart from image and marketing that is. I'll take a Zenith El Primero, or even a Seiko Spring Drive, over a Panerai any time.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #7,103 of 14,268
Quote:
Are Getat watches reliable ?

Luck of the draw. Getat does decent RMA though. Only problem is you have to wait a month for an item to reach him and vice versa. RMA can take up to three months this way. Hency why some knowledge of basic watchmaking (opening a caseback, removing a crownstem) will come in handy when you own a PAM homage. Fixing these movements isn't rocket science since they're pretty basic. I love tinkering with these though and the amount of customisations is endless. I've built a custom PAM from parts for a friend and he loves it. He now thinks I'm a genius watchmaker eventhough I explained how easy it is. :p 

Mine cost bout $400 (not including the straps). They may not be Panerai perfect but it's great to have your own personalized vintage watch.

DSN uses ETA movements I suppose instead of the Chinese Unitas clone found in most PAMs. I imagine the quality control is much higher as well. The cases, crownguards, basic hands and dials or the same though. There is a tear down of a lot of these watches over at, among other forums, Watchuseek. I never bought a DSN after I found out he makes most of his cash by doing actual replicas. He's a "trusted replica seller" over at the Replica Watch forum. Getat, Jackson Tse and Tricon only sell parts there but no fake branded items. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #7,106 of 14,268
Quote:

A truly beautiful watch. I had worn mine on a Hirsch strap until since day one until I put the original bracelet back on. It has never left the watch since.

The day I bought my sapphire sandwich I put it on a Di-Modell alligator strap with an RHD deployant. About two years later on a whim, I put it back on the bracelet and it's been there ever since.  It's my only watch on a bracelet as I generally find them uncomfortable but that Omega bracelet really is something!

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7,107 of 14,268
Quote:

The day I bought my sapphire sandwich I put it on a Di-Modell alligator strap with an RHD deployant. About two years later on a whim, I put it back on the bracelet and it's been there ever since.  It's my only watch on a bracelet as I generally find them uncomfortable but that Omega bracelet really is something!

Love the bracelet, love the watch. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #7,109 of 14,268
i think the seiko 007 diver will be my watch of choice for life.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #7,110 of 14,268

It's such a great value in a dive watch. Workhorse Seiko movement, 200 meter ISO diver rating, nice brushed and polished finishes on the case, classic dial design following the 6309-704x heritage.

I also love that there are so many mod parts available on the market to come up with your own creative spin on it.  

Here's my 007 using MKII and Dagaz watch parts.

Obviously inspired by the British Royal Navy issue Omega Seamaster 300 "Big Triangle" of the 1970's, but I used a broadsword hand style and a combination countdown/GMT bezel instead of MoD sword hands and a diver elapsed time bezel like the original.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back