Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #6,736 of 14,275
I have no idea who the fellow is but it looks like an older brietling aerospace to me, titanium by the looks of it. Great movement in those as it is high accuracy, around 10 seconds a year +/-

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #6,737 of 14,275

Quote:
I like the strap on this Citizen.

Thanks, I subbed it out because I hate buckle clasps and went with the orange on a lark but that was a couple of years ago and I still like it 
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6,740 of 14,275
This thread is really making me re-think buying and selling fountain pens, in exchange for watches
biggrin.gif

Or you could do what I have done and pare down collections of both to those you really love and have the best of both worlds then! :D

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #6,741 of 14,275

Quote:

Even with nice things, most people still enjoy the cheaper things in life even if only once in a while. 

I like to think of them not as cheaper, but those which offer significant value which belies their lower purchase price. It isn't just any old $50 watch... it's the one that happens to have the accurate, bulletproof mechanical movement that even the same companies other offerings doesn't take advantage of. The hidden gems. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #6,742 of 14,275

Quote:
It's funny to see how people work. I have a friend who went from some Rolexes, a Breitling, an Audemars, a Bell and Ross, and now three IWC's. At one point his Orient Mako still got a ton of wrist time (before he gifted it to me) and now he has several ~$100 pilot watches that seem to see more time than any of his IWC's.

Even with nice things, most people still enjoy the cheaper things in life even if only once in a while. 

I love IWC because they are beautiful watches, yet only watch people tend to know about them.  Everyone wears Rolex, and a lot of people who don't know watches wear Rolex as a status symbol.  Also, the Rolex submariner design has been replicated by just about every single watch manufacturer out there.  IWC is more understated elegance, it's a watch I appreciate while not being flashy.

My other IWC (and absolute favorite watch):

The problem is I really like it and don't want to mess it up, so I wear it around less and only for formal occasions.  On a day to day basis I wear the ingenieur chrono since it's built like a tank.

I bought a Damasko 46 black that I've been wearing around as a sports watch, and wearing it a little more than my IWC recently:

http://www.damaskousa.com/models-da46-47.asp

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #6,743 of 14,275

Quote:
I like to think of them not as cheaper, but those which offer significant value which belies their lower purchase price. It isn't just any old $50 watch... it's the one that happens to have the accurate, bulletproof mechanical movement that even the same companies other offerings doesn't take advantage of. The hidden gems. 

the people who attach and evaluate by price are the ones who do it more as a front to impress others

for enthusiasts, it's not really price so much as personal appreciation. ex: I like IWC because they make really good quality watches and have some of my favorite designs.  If IWCs cost $500, the only thing that would change is that I would own a lot more of them :)

i mean if sennheiser sold the HD-800's for $50, shiet.... they would still be an awesome pair of headphones, and I would be going shopping.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #6,745 of 14,275
I like it a lot, it looks like digital jewelry. It doesn't look that comfortable though. Is it metal or flexible?

edit: went to the website and still can't tell even with the ingredient list and a pic of it opening (but not twisting).

It somehow makes me want to exercise though 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #6,746 of 14,275
I like it a lot, it looks like digital jewelry. It doesn't look that comfortable though. Is it metal or flexible?

edit: went to the website and still can't tell even with the ingredient list and a pic of it opening (but not twisting).

It somehow makes me want to exercise though :rolleyes:

.....I don't need a wristband telling me to go...

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #6,748 of 14,275
So I got my Casio A158 on Saturday. For the $15 I paid for this thing, I love it. I have worn it to work the past two days and just love how it feels on my wrist. It must be 1/3 the weight of my Mako and even a lot lighter than my G-Shock. I also really like how easy it is to adjust the band. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but I find my wrist size changes a good amount day to day and I can resize the band in about 10 seconds with just my pocket knife.

I am seriously considering eventually getting a A168 because of the nicer looking band on that. I am quite glad I stumbled across this thread, it has totally satisfied my desire for a dressier digital that doesn't cost over $100. Gotta love the low price and retro look.....

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6,749 of 14,275
So I got my Casio A158 on Saturday. For the $15 I paid for this thing, I love it. I have worn it to work the past two days and just love how it feels on my wrist. It must be 1/3 the weight of my Mako and even a lot lighter than my G-Shock. I also really like how easy it is to adjust the band. I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but I find my wrist size changes a good amount day to day and I can resize the band in about 10 seconds with just my pocket knife.

I am seriously considering eventually getting a A168 because of the nicer looking band on that. I am quite glad I stumbled across this thread, it has totally satisfied my desire for a dressier digital that doesn't cost over $100. Gotta love the low price and retro look.....

Oh thats such good news! I am really happy you like it, amazing it only costs what it does, it is so comfortable as well. I have the same with with my wrist getting bigger during the day so the ease of adjustment is great. I am thinking of getting the gold version as I seem to have a thing for anything gold lately!

I am getting so much satisfaction out of mine, I find myself glancing at it as much as i glance at my Cartiers!

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #6,750 of 14,275
I'm looking to replace my Pulsar watch. I like the watch, but this is the second one I've had where the stopwatch hands don't return to the 12:00 position. I was looking at Citizen watches, and I like the looks and features of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL8000-11X-Eco-Drive-Calibre-Strap/dp/B002BWPDOI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1H09XRF0PMV2Y&colid=1CY2QW3LGTV4T

Citizen Men's BL8000-11X Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 Strap Sport Watch

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I want a decent everyday watch. Any comments, or suggestions watches for under $300 USD? I was also looking at the Casio G-Shock watches, but a lot of them are bigger than I like. (My Pulsar is 42mm by 12mm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back