Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #6,556 of 14,276
Yeah there is, quite a few actually. I'll have to go take a look.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6,557 of 14,276

Quote:

dont know the make but it fell from from my wrist one day(MY OWN FAULT) hit a concrete floor but still works

Does the "T" stand for Tissot?

I have a nice Casio Pathfinder with Compass/Altimeter/Barometer/Atomic Clock synch nightly, etc., however, like the G-Shocks, I can't stand when a watch has writing all over it. Heck, I don't even like the 
Nike Swoosh on my sneakers. The day a company pays me to advertise for them, I'll take a different point of view. This is why I don't buy Old Navy, North Face or Gap clothing. I am not a walking advertisement.
Now, if I were a Nascar driver, or got a free Pink Cadillac from Mary Kay, I might rethink my opinion in the matter.
Race car drivers patches and logos on the car are "over the top", however, $25 million can coerce me easier than paying $40 for a Gap sweatshirt with their name all over it. Race car driver patches and the real estate they occupy, remind me of the parody on SNL where Wolf Blitzer has to hold his head sideways in a corner of the screen just so words aren't running all along his face. Funny. They even had little Wolf Blitzer heads racing across the bottom of the stock ticker on the bottom of the screen, and he shouted out "Oh, come on, now"! 
biggrin.gif

If ABC pouts it's logo any more in the center of the screen, especially in hi-def, I am going to put a square of duct tape right in the middle of my 50". Now they have moving ads in the corners. What i find really amusing, is when they advertise for the channel, when you are already watching the channel. Subliminal seduction can be a dangerous thing.

Panerai has a beautiful skeleton with a Sapphire glass on the back of their watches. 

Also my Marina Militare has a nice Panerai knock off skeleton for $90:

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #6,558 of 14,276
the panerai is real cool and it is not $80 either haha. hmm. for $10 more you can get the marina but it is not a panerai..... at least the relic has it's own designe. btw, some "icons" define the brand and are not exactly advertising. like luis vuitton,ferrigamo,guci kangol. i do not know if gap has reached that status yet. i don't need anything that says "home depot" unless i drive a race car. ill agree on that. i love dish ad's when you are watching dish. doh!

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6,559 of 14,276
I like to entertain myself and call this $22 Indian-made Janata my "MadMen" watch. 

It is small like an older watch (fine watches were smaller back in the day):

(Band is a replacement...but $12)

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #6,560 of 14,276
That black Panerai is so nice. To bad it's so expensive. *Immediately google searches for replicas*

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #6,561 of 14,276

Quote:
I like to entertain myself and call this $22 Indian-made Jonata my "MadMen" watch. 

It is small like an older watch (fine watches were smaller back in the day):

(Band is a replacement...but $12)

A Janata fan! That's the one I was trying to get my hands on last year, but I have the one with the Devnagiri font instead. Have you checked out the Sonas? Those are some classy looking pieces as well!

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #6,562 of 14,276
dude, don't get a replica watch. at least if you do, don't wear it in public. a replica says a lot about a person. i will leave it up to yourself as to what
wink.gif
besides a actually decent replica anything, the price kind of negates the purpose. then of course if it is that good it is not really a replica. it's a fraud. that is to say most replicas are junk anyhow and the good ones are not cheap. the relic is like a timex. it is what it is. no pretending to be anything more or anything less. besides, watches such as timex are fine watches indeed. so are casio. the fossil brands just happen to have their own design and do not resemble something else. pretty good quality too. for a quartz watch i'd stick with timex or casio. they wrote the book on inexpensive quartz watches. which leads me to, the timex automatics are real nice to if not somewhat overpriced. no skeleton though.

i have a couple panerai's but not that one. for the money the maurice lacroix masterpiece skeleton is dazzling. i am guessing that panerai costs the same or more. in fact, ill put my ml skeleton up against anything short of a patek.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #6,564 of 14,276

Quote:
dude, don't get a replica watch. at least if you do, don't wear it in public. a replica says a lot about a person. i will leave it up to yourself as to what
wink.gif
besides a actually decent replica anything, the price kind of negates the purpose. then of course if it is that good it is not really a replica. it's a fraud. that is to say most replicas are junk anyhow and the good ones are not cheap. the relic is like a timex. it is what it is. no pretending to be anything more or anything less. besides, watches such as timex are fine watches indeed. so are casio. the fossil brands just happen to have their own design and do not resemble something else. pretty good quality too. for a quartz watch i'd stick with timex or casio. they wrote the book on inexpensive quartz watches. which leads me to, the timex automatics are real nice to if not somewhat overpriced. no skeleton though.

i have a couple panerai's but not that one. for the money the maurice lacroix masterpiece skeleton is dazzling. i am guessing that panerai costs the same or more. in fact, ill put my ml skeleton up against anything short of a patek.

Haha I was just kidding. I hate the idea of a replica for the same reasons you mention. I'll just have to put that panerai in the "If I had more money then I ever could spend" category.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #6,565 of 14,276
Thanks for helping me with the spelling- Jonata is a winemaker that costs about FIVE to SEVEN Janata's per bottle
redface.gif

Quote:
A Janata fan! That's the one I was trying to get my hands on last year, but I have the one with the Devnagiri font instead. Have you checked out the Sonas? Those are some classy looking pieces as well!

If you are still interested in a Janata, PM me and I will ask my friend for the contact info.  It's a small watch and one that Indian co-workers recognized right away. 

(I think it is more special/interesting to us, for sure!)

Will check out the Sonas, thanks!

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #6,566 of 14,276

Quote:
wink.gif

+1 on the Maurice Lacroix Skeletons

But there is a difference between Replicas, Homages and Counterfeits.  I agree that Counterfeits should be avoided.  Not so for branded Replicas and Homages.

Nothing wrong with this Timex-Rolex Replica-Homage.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #6,567 of 14,276

Quote:
thanks for the reply immtbiker dont think it is a tissot  i believe it could be a kronos ? with a replica seiko dial

This appears to be a custom Kronos watch from Ray Wong (watchesu571 on eBay). He makes homage style watches such as MilSubs, PloProf, and Seamaster style with ETA quartz, Miyota, or ETA auto movements. This dial is an SAT/Seiko Tuna homage.    

Instead of leaving the dial sterile, Ray Wong uses the circled T marking. This is supposed to mimic the British military's way of indicating the watch uses radioactive Tritium lume paint. Your watch does not have Tritium, but it's more for the vintage look like on an old Seamaster 300.   

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #6,569 of 14,276
Anyone familiar with Skagen watches?

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #6,570 of 14,276

Quote:
Anyone familiar with Skagen watches?

Yes. If you like the designs then I have no problem recommending them. 
I do not like the design of most of them though. They have a few automatics but mostly quartz. 
I have this one:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back