Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #5,941 of 14,276
Aart, with all due respect I think you're getting off on the wrong foot here, and the sarcasm runs counter to what this thread and this forum are about: our common loves for audio, headphones, and (in this case) watches.

Back on topic, those are some great-looking watches and great photos. Did you snap them yourself? 

May 20, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #5,943 of 14,276

Quote:
Aart, with all due respect I think you're getting off on the wrong foot here, and the sarcasm runs counter to what this thread and this forum are about: our common loves for audio, headphones, and (in this case) watches.

Back on topic, those are some great-looking watches and great photos. Did you snap them yourself? 

Hey, listen, didn't mean to offend anyone. All I meant with my first post was:
Careful trading watches, it is very easy getting fakes and watches have a HUGE target audience compared to the handful of headphone enthousiasts. I've seen well respected people do stupid things when the stakes get high enough.

On topic: I'm considering buying one of those.

May 20, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #5,944 of 14,276
Stowa makes lovely watches, go for it. :wink: I've been partial to the Marine Original, but those Fliegers are awfully puurrrdy.

May 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #5,946 of 14,276
CEE TEE...
I happen to appreciate your 'color' choices very much. 
wink_face.gif

It's how I choose my watches and dogs.

And while we're on this subject... here's my 5. Sorry for the horrible shot.

May 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #5,948 of 14,276
FYI, Stowa has been a bit delayed in production lately because ETA was not sending out movements on time. Stowa takes ETA movements and "finishes" them or "customizes" them for their watches. Nomos builds their own complete in-house movements.

@shane55- I'm on TapATalk so I have to look at you pic a little later...can't wait!!

EDIT: Couldn't wait!! That is a cool 5! Shane...we've got some of the same taste!

May 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5,949 of 14,276
Just joined, I've been looking through the 390+ pages in the past day and I'm loving the pictures and how you all seem to be so into your time pieces.

I love watches because they are truly a man's jewelry, but I do not have the means of "collecting" all the watch I wish I can. AND I don't think I can part ways with my hard earned cash for watches that cost more than my mortgage payment, car payments I can understand but when a clock (watch) on a cow (leather) cost in the range of a small used car, I have a problem with it. There's just so much better things I (personally) can do with the money. for those who spend god knows how much on a Patek, AP, VC, or whatever is out there with ridiculous prices. I have no idea how you do it (mentally, not financially)! Just because you can splurge doesn't mean it's not an absurd amount of money for a watch. The real ones that I have rarely gets worn because I'm afraid to scratch it. Then you have to worry about servicing them 5-8 years down the line. *shiver*

I'm gonna confess that I have a few "knock-offs / fakes / frauds / replicas" because I just like the looks of these watches. I CAN afford to splurge and buy ONE or TWO of these a year, but at the same cost I can get all of them and more as a fake and still have plenty left over, since I like the look more than the movements I got fakies. In terms of accuracy, I know all of them have the correct time at the end of the day..and even up to a week when I wear one that long andI'm not going to sweat over the +/- few seconds since I wear a different one every day or two anyway....BUT I have one HORRIBLE Rolex (Folex) Day-Date Presidential that looses 20 minutes within 24 hours. That thing is truly junk.

I'l take some picture of my watches and post them up real soon....please don't bash me too hard for the knockoffs!

May 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #5,950 of 14,276
Soooo many good, cheap watches out there that aren't knockoffs. Seiko, Orient, and Citizen among others make some awesome watches under $100.

May 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #5,951 of 14,276
And all show the time .. :)

May 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5,952 of 14,276
^TOTALLY.  I think this is THE time to be up on your "Orients" and Seagull movements...the Seagull full in-house brand is going up in price now as an indicator.

ETA is going to stop providing movements to everyone (lots of Swiss and German makers use full ETA or partial ETA movements- including Panerai).

So, the Seagull and other chinese movements may be going up in price methinks...

If you need a good, inexpensive watch- now might be the time to get a Seagull S16 movement in something.

Quote:
Soooo many good, cheap watches out there that aren't knockoffs. Seiko, Orient, and Citizen among others make some awesome watches under $100.

May 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #5,953 of 14,276

Quote:

Oh I know, I have Citizen, Seiko and Invicta, looking at the Orients these past few days. I'm not saying there are no good watches. my Casio, suuntos, timex, etc all tell the time too, my 20 year old Swatch automatic runs perfectly fine. but I've always wanted to own a...let's say Rolex Daytona because of the look but never wanted to fork over that kinda money. Invicta has one that looks like a daytona, but quartz movement wasn't attractive.

May 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #5,954 of 14,276

Quote:
^TOTALLY.  I think this is THE time to be up on your "Orients" and Seagull movements...the Seagull full in-house brand is going up in price now as an indicator.

ETA is going to stop providing movements to everyone (lots of Swiss and German makers use full ETA or partial ETA movements- including Panerai).

So, the Seagull and other chinese movements may be going up in price methinks...

If you need a good, inexpensive watch- now might be the time to get a Seagull S16 movement in something.

RE: ORIENTS vs. INVICTA

which is better in terms of movement. the Invicta I have is a Japanese Miyota not swiss, what is Seagull?

May 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #5,955 of 14,276
I have the Seiko 5 with the crown by 4 o'clock, and it hasn't worked since I bought it. It loses 15 minutes a day. I'll have to check the serial to see where it's made. I have 2 other Seikos with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back