Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #4,981 of 14,276
Hey guys... not sure what the protocol here is for asking questions but I'm just gonna dive right in!  I'm looking for a nice, classy watch that'd look good with a shirt, but fits in nicely for casual stuff too.  My budget's probably around $200.  I'd want a metal bracelet, preferably something with an automatic movement?  I've been looking casually at the Seiko automatic department... but nothing comes to mind yet.  Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #4,983 of 14,276

Quote:
Hey guys... not sure what the protocol here is for asking questions but I'm just gonna dive right in!  I'm looking for a nice, classy watch that'd look good with a shirt, but fits in nicely for casual stuff too.  My budget's probably around $200.  I'd want a metal bracelet, preferably something with an automatic movement?  I've been looking casually at the Seiko automatic department... but nothing comes to mind yet.  Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Check the post right below you, heh.

Seiko Black Monster ^_^

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #4,984 of 14,276
Definitely get the Seiko Monster. It fits everything your looking for and more. I got mines from longislandwatch.com which ships the Seiko Monsters from New York. It's the cheapest I've found on the internet, maybe you'll have better luck. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4,986 of 14,276
I have a Tissot PR50 chrono that's my daily beater watch, but the leather strap is getting destroyed by my sweat. I've tried looking for a 19mm synthetic band, but haven't had much luck. I'd be fine with a silicone/rubber band with a deployant clasp or even something like the kevlar patterned band above, but nobody seems to make them in 19mm.

Any help sourcing one would be appreciated.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4,987 of 14,276

Quote:
It's because of this thread that I bought a Seiko Black Monster. A very happy head-fier. Thanks guys.

My new watch. I got so much compliments from girls already. ;D

Congrats!! I love this watch. One of my daily-wears.

And @ npnjunction... yeah, a Black Monster is certainly a great choice. It was for me. But it's not all that's out there. What style you looking for? What colour metal, face, band... Digital, combo, numerals (Roman?). Lots of choices out there and as many styles as there are tastes.

More to go on please...

cheers

shane

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #4,988 of 14,276
There are some beautiful watches in this thread. I'm planning to buy my first 'proper' non-fashion watch for my graduation soon, but I haven't decided exactly which one I am going to go for. Before I choose I thought I would do some research on movements and watch makers. Anyone care to recommend any books or website that might be useful? Or even recommend what might be an ideal first serious watch. Obviously because I don't really know my way around movements and such like I am just basing my preference on looks. I like the vintage military style watches like Panerai but I don't know of anyone else who does a similar style of watch.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #4,989 of 14,276
I purchased this Movado Valor 7 years ago. Since it's made out of tungsten carbide, it's still pretty much scratch free.  

A Tag Heuer I purchased 18 years ago.

A Seiko Automatic. My everyday watch

One more Seiko Automatic. (Not the original band)

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #4,990 of 14,276
@shane55 (and everyone else who has been so kind as to respond!):

My ideal design runs towards the DeVille above (only that I obvious can't afford it hur hur), and with a metal bracelet.  Preferably an automatic movement (hence no digital? not too sure on this).  I'm obviously new to the field, and not very familiar with the lingo... and am hence not able to provide a more detailed description!  The design of the monster is growing on me though... and I somehow find myself drawn towards it!  I'm still open to suggestion though so if you happen to have any please do pass them on to the ignorant (ie. me heh)!

Cheerss

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #4,991 of 14,276

Quote:
@shane55 (and everyone else who has been so kind as to respond!):

My ideal design runs towards the DeVille above (only that I obvious can't afford it hur hur), and with a metal bracelet.  Preferably an automatic movement (hence no digital? not too sure on this).  I'm obviously new to the field, and not very familiar with the lingo... and am hence not able to provide a more detailed description!  The design of the monster is growing on me though... and I somehow find myself drawn towards it!  I'm still open to suggestion though so if you happen to have any please do pass them on to the ignorant (ie. me heh)!

Cheerss

Look at post #4911 for a couple good links. 
The Seiko 5 above is a great watch and you might find something like it there.
Here's my Seiko 5, and Monster.

shane

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #4,992 of 14,276

Quote:

shane

Shane, I love your Seiko Monster Diver Watch. Real nice!

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #4,993 of 14,276

Quote:

shane

I like this one. What model is it? 
That strap looks really familiar...
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #4,994 of 14,276

Quote:
I like this one. What model is it? 
That strap looks really familiar...
tongue.gif

On the back side crystal, it says 7S26-0420 - A4. 423411 is also stamped on the crystal.
The movement has 7S26A stamped on rotor.

Yeah, I have / had several of these straps. Love 'em. 
wink_face.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back