Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #4,951 of 14,276

Quote:
In my old house, my G-Shock wouldn't sync unless I wore it to bed.  Don't ask me why.  Sitting on the night stand next to the bed, it wouldn't sync but on my wrist it would get the sync.  So, I got accustomed to wearing a watch to bed.  In my new house, anywhere on the second floor and it'll get a signal.

However, wearing a watch to bed really isn't the best thing to do.  Good way to get some nasty wabi and they'll get filthy with bed lint pretty quick.

Don't know what wabi is, but any watch that I wear to bed, gets a shower the next morning.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #4,952 of 14,276

Quote:
Don't know what wabi is, but any watch that I wear to bed, gets a shower the next morning.

Not necessary.
Just wash your 'hands'... unless it's digital, of course, then just wash your 'face'. Sorry, I'll 'dial' it down a bit, but I'm all wound up. Not sure what all these puns 'stem' from, they're just automatic.
rolleyes.gif

All right, I'll stop.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #4,953 of 14,276

Quote:
Not necessary.
Just wash your 'hands'... unless it's digital, of course, then just wash your 'face'. Sorry, I'll 'dial' it down a bit, but I'm all wound up. Not sure what all these puns 'stem' from, they're just automatic.
rolleyes.gif

All right, I'll stop.

Now, you 'wound' me up.  Oh, the fun and "punnishment"...  It's wonderful!  
atsmile.gif
  "Watch" out, the humor has "crowned."

I will never settle for 'second' best, showers really 'clean my clock' over 'time', "hands" down, er, maybe "hands" up.  Yes, from whence "springs" all of this humor?

Ok, sorry..
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4,955 of 14,276
Aug 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4,956 of 14,276
I decided to have some fun with a cheap, Chinese automatic that I picked up a while back. Used it at work a couple of times until I dropped it and it stopped working. I figured it would be a good chance to take it apart an learn a bit more about how the automatic mechanism works. Played around with it a little until I found the loose gear and reset it and the movement started working again! I started playing around with it a little more, threw out the dial, did some rough sanding on the case and put it on a leather cuff band I found in a crafts store, and came up with this, moderately steampunk-ish watch:

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #4,957 of 14,276
Quote:

You're a WIS and you don't know wabi?!?!
eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
wink_face.gif

It's actually wabi-sabi but generally stated as just wabi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

In the world of watches, it generally refers to the marks, scratches, dings, etc. that a watch gets over time that can add 'charm.'.  A Rolex Explorer with desk diving marks, not wabi.  The same watch with damage from climbing Mt. Everest: wabi.

Be careful showering with watches, even if it's a JLC Master Compressor or other watch very well suited for water.  The heat from the hot water can wreak havoc on seals.  Watches of any kind in a hot tub are a serious no-no.  The heat and the chemicals used in the jacuzzi are even more deadly to watch seals.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #4,958 of 14,276

Quote:
You're a WIS and you don't know wabi?!?!
eek.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
wink_face.gif

It's actually wabi-sabi but generally stated as just wabi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

In the world of watches, it generally refers to the marks, scratches, dings, etc. that a watch gets over time that can add 'charm.'.  A Rolex Explorer with desk diving marks, not wabi.  The same watch with damage from climbing Mt. Everest: wabi.

Desk diving...  I love it!  LOL

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #4,960 of 14,276
I love the concept of wabi-sabi.  My Omega Hour-Vision reminds me of such a concept.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #4,961 of 14,276

Quote:
I love the concept of wabi-sabi.  My Omega Hour-Vision reminds me of such a concept.

Holy crap, that's gorgeous! Nice piece, Sir.
Wonderful DeVille movement.

shane

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #4,962 of 14,276
Wabi...
My wife's work watch.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #4,963 of 14,276

Quote:
Holy crap, that's gorgeous! Nice piece, Sir.
Wonderful DeVille movement.

shane

Thanks Shane.  The hour vision's movement is the first newly designed, in-house manufactured movement for Omega in many, many years.  That, and the 4 sapphire windows in addition to the front and back sapphires are my favorite parts of the watch.

[size=medium][size=x-small][size=medium][size=medium]Omega unveils its exclusive in-house manufacture movement[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=x-small]Bienne, Geneva (24 January 2007)--[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=x-small]Always at the forefront of technical innovations and renowned as the watchmaking company which produced the first-ever industrialized movement, Omega presented its exclusive in-house manufacture calibre 8500 / 8501 to a select audience during a press conference which took place today at the Cité du Temps in Geneva.[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=x-small]Replete with technologically-advanced features, the new automatic movement is a COSC*-certified chronometer comprising 202 completely redesigned components. It is naturally equipped with an upgraded version of Omega’s proprietary Co-Axial technology guaranteeing prolonged timekeeping accuracy and reliability over time. This virtuoso 13-lines movement has two barrels which increase the energy source to provide greater stability, thus ensuring an impressive 60-hour power reserve. These attributes are complemented by a bi-directional self-winding mechanism and a time-zone function which enables the precision to be maintained when the hour hand is set. The intricate beauty of the mechanism is echoed in the luxurious decorative finish as fine black screws complement the delicate snail-wave engravings. This movement is also available with an 18 ct red gold rotor and balance bridge (calibre 8501).[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=x-small]To celebrate the launch of this exclusive manufacture movement, Omega proudly unveils an exceptional collection of timepieces within the De Ville range aptly named Hour Vision. The unique case is a revolutionary feat of engineering enhancing the visibility of the meticulously-crafted movement through four translucent sapphire lateral-openings. The refreshingly unadorned Hour Vision dial features facetted gold hands with delicately-polished sides. The curvilinear bracelet is easily adjustable as it incorporates an innovative screw and link system, the finishing design touch being the Omega emblem inserted on the clasp.[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=x-small]The new Omega Hour Vision collection has been specially conceived as a complete creation of craftsmanship embodying in a new generation of high precision and elegant timepieces all the experience gained from Omega’s 159 years of pioneering in the field of mechanical watchmaking.

The prestige watch manufacturer Omega was founded in 1848 and since then has continually set the pace in the many fields of watchmaking: from precision, competitions, sports timekeeping, design awards to watches for professional use in space or underwater, Omega identifies with a world of achievements that includes the conquest of space, timekeeping at 22 Olympic Games, numerous precision records and design awards as well as the launch in 1999 of the revolutionary Co-Axial calibre, one of the 20th’s century’s major innovations in mechanical watchmaking, designed with the English star watchmaker George Daniels. Omega will be Official Timekeeper for the Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 Olympic Games.[/size]
[/size]

Once known for producing its’ own movements and indeed holding the unique reputation of being the producer of the first industrialized movement, the coming of the calibre 8500/8501 heralds a new era for OMEGA. Following the successful incorporation of the Co-Axial escapement into a number of self-winding movements beginning with the calibre 2500 eight years ago, Omega now produces all of the 202 components of the new calibre. In embarking on this ambitious project, OMEGA’s aim was to up-grade its existing proprietary Co-Axial technology. The Co-Axial escapement touches the very heart of the watch by re-engineering the component that provides the regular transmission of energy to the mechanism. Together with the free-sprung balance, the Co-Axial escapement offers optimal stability to the watch’s running rate over long periods and enhances the performance of the timepiece. In addition, the need for oil in this tiny component is virtually eliminated.

The automatic mechanism is driven by a highly efficient bi-directional rotor. The energy is then transmitted through two barrels providing the watch with an impressive power reserve of 60 hours. Adjusting the watch when travelling through time-zones is simple since the hour hand can be moved separately from the minutes and seconds hands. The 8500/8501 calibres naturally are COSC-certified chronometers. 

As you would expect from a movement of this category, great care has been taken in the finishing and decorating of the components. In the case of the Calibre 8501, the rotor and balance bridge are fashioned out of 18-carat red gold. The presence of 18-carat red gold components is reminiscent of OMEGA’s rich watch making heritage since historically red gold had been used in OMEGA movements. The screws, barrels and the balance wheel are all blackened. This was to create an unusual and contemporary matt finish. The bridges and the rotor are decorated with an “arabesque” Côtes de Genève pattern which in itself is a world premier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back