Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #4,922 of 14,276
Well the outlet stores in my area (Seiko) are actually more expensive then buying online. And I am but a mere child and don't have money in the four digits (although I agree that is where watches start getting interesting).

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #4,923 of 14,276

Quote:
Well the outlet stores in my area (Seiko) are actually more expensive then buying online. And I am but a mere child and don't have money in the four digits (although I agree that is where watches start getting interesting).

Oh I don't necessarily agree...
This was bought in China, it was really inexpensive, and I think it's kind of interesting.
Mao waves as it ticks.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #4,924 of 14,276
One day those Mao watches will be worth a lot. Just don't wear them in Poland.
wink_face.gif

Very cool indeed!  

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #4,925 of 14,276

Quote:
One day those Mao watches will be worth a lot. Just don't wear them in Poland.
wink_face.gif

Very cool indeed!  

Gee, I sure hope so.
biggrin.gif

As for wearing it in Poland. No worries whatsoever. I've actually only worn it once or twice. It's really a terrible timepiece. Also it's got a nasty scratch on the glass (not crystal) that you can see in the photo. Not sure how it got there, but it's really annoying / distracting.
frown.gif

But thanks for the travel-wear advice! 
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #4,927 of 14,276
(hold tongue... hold tongue....) snap... no I can't....

Yes, but only one of them is a real communist, can you tell which? 
biggrin.gif

O crap, I'll be bannished forever!!!  It was just a joke, really!!!
Don't taze me bro....

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #4,928 of 14,276
Aug 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #4,929 of 14,276
Aug 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #4,930 of 14,276

Quote:
I'm in the US.

My budget has grown a little bit, and now I'm just debating between that Tissot (here) and this Hamilton. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm thinking that I might prefer the Tissot still.

I love my Hamilton, but that Tissot is great looking! They're both owned by Swatch, so you can't go wrong with either one.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #4,931 of 14,276
Aug 11, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #4,932 of 14,276
About to take my watch passion to the next level.  I currently own a Citizen (Skyhawk, Nighthawk & Navisail) a nice Rado and a couple cheapies.  I would like a Military/Pilot style w/ an automatic swiss movement.  My two current favorites are the Victorinox Airboss Mach 6 (in black) and the Sinn 857 UTC.  I really like the Sinn but it's about $500 more.  My main concern with Victorinox is that they also make $100 watches (very nice ones btw) and I don't think the resale value is as good as Sinn.  Any thoughts?

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4,933 of 14,276

Quote:
About to take my watch passion to the next level.  I currently own a Citizen (Skyhawk, Nighthawk & Navisail) a nice Rado and a couple cheapies.  I would like a Military/Pilot style w/ an automatic swiss movement.  My two current favorites are the Victorinox Airboss Mach 6 (in black) and the Sinn 857 UTC.  I really like the Sinn but it's about $500 more.  My main concern with Victorinox is that they also make $100 watches (very nice ones btw) and I don't think the resale value is as good as Sinn.  Any thoughts?

I LOVE Sinns. They are worth the extra money IMO. Well-engineered and simple.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #4,934 of 14,276

Quote:

I know this is way below your budget (and not as prestigous as some other common German brands like Sinn and Stowa), but I'm enjoying this pilot's style watch by Junkers - 6270M-2. It has all the specs I was looking for: Titanium case and bracelet, sapphire crystal, Superluminova lume, ETA 2824-2 movement.. looks very similar to a Sinn 656/556 (I think the Junkers actually looks much better.. date is more clear, very readable dial, red seconds hand adds a lot), but for much less. If I had more cash to spend I'd have gotten a Sinn or Stowa but for cost effectiveness, I think I made the right choice. I posted this a few pages back so it might look familiar:

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #4,935 of 14,276

Quote:

The Sinn has my vote.
I'm a Sinner from way back. One of my faves...
I can't comment on resale other to say that I would guess you are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back