Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #4,231 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now here's a question... I'm looking for a waterproof strap! What you recommend? composite, urethane, nato style?

You'd probably be better off with a nice vulcanized rubber aftermarket diver's watch.
In my opinion, a nice Seiko divers watch like yours only deserves either the stainless steel bracelet like in your picture or a black rubberized diver's band.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #4,232 of 14,275
So this is a bad photo but anyone know where i can find a replacement band like this?

0101001504y.jpg

It is held in with two tiny screws. Came on my girlfriends Skagen and one side broke. No idea what or where I can find a band like this the only ones ive seen work with pins.

Another view *Stock photo*

additional-image-expanded.php

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #4,233 of 14,275
That looks very specific (in thickness and width) because it has to go in to the slot perfectly to fit. Probably the best way is to contact Skagen directly.
Or just get your girlfriend a new watch and make her happy. Get a stainless steel bracelet one this time, haha...

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #4,235 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my favorite watch winder.. i have 5 of these
k701smile.gif

Amazon.com: Double automatic watch winder.: Watches

i ordered two of these awhile back. first off not one of my watches stays wound and tells time correctly while inside it. i tried all four settings in timing and different directions..still no correct timing. (i have not tried any of my Breitlings in it..for good reason)

it makes this weird clicking sound when it works, like someone is knocking on my front door. the motor is silent but i am not sure where the clicking sound is coming from.

i read somewhere there is a big magnet behind one of the watch holders, thats not good if you care for your watch!

i still have one in the box unopened, its really not worth my time to try it out.

years back i ordered a cheap double Steinhausen from ebay and it still works and the watches stay wound with correct time (the Breitlings call it home).

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #4,236 of 14,275
i tried an expensive one years ago.. it was for single watch winder that did not last one day on a big Seiko watch.. i thought its motor was not powerful enough.. sent it for warranty.. replaced.. same thing.. hence, retired that one
redface.gif

of 5 "double watch" watch winders i am using 4 units.. the 5th one for back-up ... all my watches working with a few minutes variation per month on each watch.. a friend told me to turn these winders ON one day a month only which i am doing last year.. will see about the magnetic field mentioned
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #4,237 of 14,275
I know as consumers we don't really have a choice, but IMHO watch winders are overpriced, I mean surely it doesn't cost that much to make that thing?
I am not saying it's a waste of money, it is very useful indeed, but I get the feeling that they make it this expensive because people still buy them.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #4,238 of 14,275
i got a free esquire for my bday from the movado group because i bought 5 ebel's.

i really liked it. then i realised what i really needed(wanted) is the emergency. it is the one i wear every day now. i really like ani-digital unless it is uh, timex.

btw, you notice all the chinese automatics at walmart? any of them ok?

music_man

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #4,239 of 14,275
i wouldnt get one,

anyways, thought id share a nice picture with you folk,
P1010156.jpg

From left to right,
1) Hamilton X-Wind crono
2) Heuer black coral
3) Farve Leuba Daymatic
4) Omega Seamaster 120M multifunction
5) Camel Trophey Black zero
6) Citizen Crono "speedmaster"
7) Marathon G-Sar

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #4,241 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried an expensive one years ago.. it was for single watch winder that did not last one day on a big Seiko watch.. i thought its motor was not powerful enough.. sent it for warranty.. replaced.. same thing.. hence, retired that one
redface.gif

of 5 "double watch" watch winders i am using 4 units.. the 5th one for back-up ... all my watches working with a few minutes variation per month on each watch.. a friend told me to turn these winders ON one day a month only which i am doing last year.. will see about the magnetic field mentioned
wink_face.gif

mine run all the time, i pretty much am keeping the second double as a back up for some reason i really dont know..haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know as consumers we don't really have a choice, but IMHO watch winders are overpriced, I mean surely it doesn't cost that much to make that thing?
I am not saying it's a waste of money, it is very useful indeed, but I get the feeling that they make it this expensive because people still buy them.

i always looked at the high priced watch winders with a question as to "why?" myself. on one side i can see something that has to work perfect 24/7/365 being costly but on the other end what could go into a good watch winder that is left out of a cheap watch winder? i am also surpised the DIY peeps out there have not come up with a solution.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #4,242 of 14,275
Aevum,
That watch box would be perfect for me. What brand and where did you get it? TIA.

P.S. - I too have always wondered why watch winders are so damn expensive. I have found that ones that tilt, or lie flat, don't work as well as ones that stand up straight, due to how a winding mechanism works inside a watch.

I've always had to have battery powered ones, because I keep my watches in a wardrobe closet. I would assume that electric ones would have stronger motor possibilities and work more consistently.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #4,243 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There you go!

Old watches, non-synthetic = gummy.
Newer watches, synthetic = "let 'er lie".

Old Watches = synthetic too (some of us have them cleaned and re-lubed every so often
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im really tempted to get a tuning fork movmenet watch off ebay, maybe an omega F300 or something, the warm hum and the smooth moving seconds hand,

orig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back