Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 3, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #4,246 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine run all the time, i pretty much am keeping the second double as a back up for some reason i really dont know..haha

i always looked at the high priced watch winders with a question as to "why?" myself. on one side i can see something that has to work perfect 24/7/365 being costly but on the other end what could go into a good watch winder that is left out of a cheap watch winder? i am also surpised the DIY peeps out there have not come up with a solution.

Same thing with watchbox too. I'm pretty sure they priced it like that because honestly collectors who don't mind spending thousands of dollars for a single watch usually don't really mind to spend big $$$ on the winders too - even though it probably won't cost that much to make one.

I can say the same thing with camera bags and camera storage shelves.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #4,248 of 14,283
But then again if my watch was this one, I'd probably wouldn't mind spending big money for a watch winder/box.

But if I had that kind of money to buy that watch, I'm wondering whether I should get the watch or just use the money to buy a small island, hire a few minions, and start my own country there.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #4,249 of 14,283
Quote:

how accurate is a tuning fork movement usually? Is it quartz-like?

One in decent shape should be between mechanical and quartz in accuracy. Tuning fork movements were essentially a predecessor to quartz movements and operate on the same principle.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #4,250 of 14,283
$600,000 lol. me want! can't have though
confused_face.gif

music_man

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #4,255 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone suggest a good strap for my Luminox? Luminox 3903 Navy Seal Dive Watch , LUMINOX NAVY SEAL DIVE WATCHES MENS SERIES I and II , LuminoxShop.Com

I really like the watch but have received negative comments from friends and family.

Comments about...the strap?

That watch wouldn't look right with anything leather or steel. I'd order a 22mm zulu with black h/w to see how you liked it before any other route.

maratac Go down to the Original Zulu Strap, go to the 22mm section and pick "BLACK LOW LITE" from the dropdown.

The Maratac composite straps Aevum mentioned would be sweet, too. I think a black-on-black would look awesome on your watch.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #4,256 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another reason not to let a watch like that wind down is because it takes a PhD just to re-set it.

I wouldn't mind going for a PhD in watch making and setting, right now, if it was on scholarship.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #4,257 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't mind going for a PhD in watch making and setting, right now, if it was on scholarship.

I wonder how much do those people get paid (the master watchmaker)

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #4,258 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comments about...the strap?

That watch wouldn't look right with anything leather or steel. I'd order a 22mm zulu with black h/w to see how you liked it before any other route.

maratac Go down to the Original Zulu Strap, go to the 22mm section and pick "BLACK LOW LITE" from the dropdown.

The Maratac composite straps Aevum mentioned would be sweet, too. I think a black-on-black would look awesome on your watch.

Comments about the watch as a whole.

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking that I could put a leather strap on it and make it look nicer but now I'm thinking that I may be better off getting a fancier looking watch just for special occasions. I'll have to come back and ask about nice leather straps when I find a fancy watch I like.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #4,259 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comments about the watch as a whole.

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking that I could put a leather strap on it and make it look nicer but now I'm thinking that I may be better off getting a fancier looking watch just for special occasions. I'll have to come back and ask about nice leather straps when I find a fancy watch I like.

If you got rid of the stock gaudy logo-laden strap, they'd probably warm up to your watch more. But yeah, get a dressier watch for button-down occasions.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #4,260 of 14,283
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how much do those people get paid (the master watchmaker)

Probably, not enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back