Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4,217 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you demand an Automatic, or is durable quartz fine? I personally recommend the Seiko SNDA65: Amazon.com: Seiko Men's Chronograph Strap Watch #SNDA65: Watches

Ehh I don't really get the difference between the two.

I guess as long as its durable to abuse and comfy cloth strap it'll do.

(On second thought maybe I prefer quartz, but either is fine though)

And thanks for the suggestion. The Seiko looks nice.

Maybe chime in other examples? I know nothing about watches.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #4,220 of 14,275
Quote:

You could also get whatever watch you want and put a Maratec strap on it. I own three difference ones (Black, Olive Drab, and Bond) for my Seiko and have bought a couple more for other watches (since sold) from that site in the past.

Ooh nice info, thanks. I'd definitely will keep that in mind.

Still need the watch first though, and I want to see my options.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #4,221 of 14,275
Quote:

You could also get whatever watch you want and put a Maratec strap on it. I own three difference ones (Black, Olive Drab, and Bond) for my Seiko and have bought a couple more for other watches (since sold) from that site in the past.

I was going to buy a strap from them until I realized they'd been "re-evaluating their ability to continue to ship parcels to international destinations" since February 2008. We Canadians are a shifty bunch, wouldn't want to make a hasty decision
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #4,222 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience with automatics (owned one or two for over 35 years) one of the worse things you can do is not use it. Thus why they sell self winders, so use them on a regular basis or get a self winder because the lubrication does dry up and accumulates on the bottom. By using you keep the lubricant on the various moving parts.

I'm not so sure about that M, it sounds more like the snake oil used to promote watch winders.
wink.gif

From a moderator on the Rolex forum: Link

1. It is not "better" to keep a watch running, although it can run nonstop for years. A running watch is grinding and working, and will eventually wear out. As for "congealing oil", this is a thing of the past. modern lubricants are synthetic and do not really wear out, but, the small particles from the watch moving and grinding will contaminate the oil and make it more of a sludge, so from that perspective, it is better to let the watch sit idle.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4,223 of 14,275
There you go!

Old watches, non-synthetic = gummy.
Newer watches, synthetic = "let 'er lie".

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4,225 of 14,275
So even with everyone's recommendations to get the Sumo, I couldn't get past the large numbering on the bezel insert and the fact that it looks ridiculously huge. Instead, I got the Stainless Samurai in black. I have got to say, it's quite the piece... modern, yet classy.

1020137.png

now here's a question... I'm looking for a waterproof strap! What you recommend? composite, urethane, nato style?

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #4,226 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now here's a question... I'm looking for a waterproof strap! What you recommend? composite, urethane, nato style?

Hirsch Extreme! Seiko's own poly strap is very good, though, and cheap.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #4,227 of 14,275
Quote:

I say NATO (or Zulu) style. I use Maratec straps myself. Hard to go wrong.

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #4,228 of 14,275
Quote:

I say NATO (or Zulu) style. I use Maratec straps myself. Hard to go wrong.

The only thing with a Zulu/NATO is its durability over repeated exposure to and saturation with water. I would rather have a poly strap in that case.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4,230 of 14,275
Just realized that this thread exists ... Here is my PAM GMT Automatic
fa4573183b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back