Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Dec 12, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4,097 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ball's awesome, but yeah, that might be out of your price range.

If you can spend about $500 and want something that will last you for ages, look for a Japanese Domestic Market Seiko (JDM, as they're called). Seiko saves the best stuff for their own Domestic Market, but you can get absolutely INCREDIBLE deals for their prices. Their $500 watch looks, feels, and performs like anyone else's $1,200 watch. Even at $325, you can get an amazing 6R15 simple dress watch. The 6R15 is a remarkable movement for the price.

Check out SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SeiyaJapan.com in Tokyo, Japan for these sorts of models. He's an incredible guy who ships directly from Japan and is well known by watch lovers for his perfect service.

Yeah, I've been going between seiyajapan and c-watch checking out the alpinists and a couple divers (for some reason I have very strange taste in watches). I do like the JDM citizen stuff too like the exceed line, but they don't carry it.
frown.gif
, I want +/-15 seconds a year eco-drive...

So anyone have opinions on the alpinist versus the air divers? I know they are two completely different breeds, but I'm looking for a watch that can dress up, but still be good to wear outdoors. I was also looking at the Seiko 5 Atlas.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #4,098 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Location of my dad's AP: glass case 24/7...

yea, know what you mean, you probobly go a bit paranoid knowing you have the money equivalent of a small family sedan on your wrist,

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #4,099 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've been going between seiyajapan and c-watch checking out the alpinists and a couple divers (for some reason I have very strange taste in watches). I do like the JDM citizen stuff too like the exceed line, but they don't carry it.
frown.gif
, I want +/-15 seconds a year eco-drive...

So anyone have opinions on the alpinist versus the air divers? I know they are two completely different breeds, but I'm looking for a watch that can dress up, but still be good to wear outdoors. I was also looking at the Seiko 5 Atlas.

I've had an Alpinist, and I've had the Blue "Sumo" Air Diver. Both run on the excellent 6R15, and kept -2 to +3 seconds per day... quite excellent and well within COSC.

It comes down to a dress watch vs. a sport watch. Between the two, I liked the Sumo better but it is MUCH larger than most expect it to be, so if you have small wrists it really won't fit well despite the nicely curved lugs. The Alpinist is the exact opposite and runs small, it feels like a 38mm watch.

I actually reviewed both:

Seiko SBDC003 Blue Sumo: A New Review (With Pics!) - Watchuseek Watch Fora - SUMO

Seiko SARB017 Alpinist (Green Dialed): A Review - Watchuseek Watch Fora - ALPINIST

Honestly? You can't go wrong with either. They've both got a case that is as well finished (though perhaps not as well thought out) as any Omega I've had, and both are incredibly sturdy with a trustworthy movement that won't fail you.

The crystals are the only toss up; I like the Sapphire on the Alpinist because it is super clear and crisp, but it is flat and therefore reflects light at some angles. The Sumo has a nice curved Hardlex which is great because it's more resistant to shock than Sapphire, but at the same time isn't as crisp or as clear.

Your call!

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4,100 of 14,275
Yeah, the air divers really good looking. I really liked it from the moment I saw it, but I think it's just too huge for my wrists (7.8 inches). I'm wearing a 44mm watch and not only does it look a little off to me, but it's uncomfortable. A 40mm size would actually be ideal IMO, I'm not a fan of the big watch style.

Also the 6r15 movement interests me a lot too since all the other movements are non-hacking, which I find is a must have feature. I mean, if 10 dollar chinese watch can hack and wind, why can't a 400 watch?

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #4,101 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the air divers really good looking. I really liked it from the moment I saw it, but I think it's just too huge for my wrists (7.8 inches). I'm wearing a 44mm watch and not only does it look a little off to me, but it's uncomfortable. A 40mm size would actually be ideal IMO, I'm not a fan of the big watch style.

Also the 6r15 movement interests me a lot too since all the other movements are non-hacking, which I find is a must have feature. I mean, if 10 dollar chinese watch can hack and wind, why can't a 400 watch?

Hacking puts a tremendous amount of strain on several parts within a watch, so they're smartly built to avoid it. My Speedmaster CAN hack if I apply a little bit of backwind because it is strong enough, but the makers clearly didn't want to risk any extra strain. Those Chinese movements most likely don't take their on safety into account.

Actually, with a 7.8" wrist the Sumo will be perfect for your wrist. Mine is a 7.5, and it was a pretty good size on me. You'll have no problem with one, and if you buy one used from the WUS For Sale forum they're incredibly popular and flipping it back won't be an issue. Yes it's large, but it definitely doesn't feel as huge as your standard 45mm watch... mostly because of the lug curve. I know I'm backtracking a little bit on previous comments, but it may just fit perfectly.

Yeah, I think you need a Sumo.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #4,103 of 14,275
Quote:

Well? WELL?

Okay, okay... yes, it's pretty damn nice. It feels kind of weird wearing it when I'm used to much larger modern automatic chronos. 42mm isn't so big after all! It's also thinner than an automatic, since there's no rotor. Definitely a classic styling that has aged well. I'm quite pleased with the watch, and it's obviously never going to lose its value if I decide to sell it later on (not likely). I do find winding it kind of fiddly since the crown is set so close to the bezel.

I haven't had much of a chance to wear it yet, because I do a lot of dirty/gritty stuff at work, so my Victorinox Alpnach has been my daily wear for a little while now. I'll probably start wearing it more often next term. It's keeping very steady time at about +10s/day, which is a little fast for my tastes. The particular watch I bought is practically brand new, and still covered under warranty for 17 months, so I was thinking of sending it in for regulation. As a bonus, I think they polish up the bracelet for you, so it would come back even nicer than before.

Quote:

Hacking puts a tremendous amount of strain on several parts within a watch, so they're smartly built to avoid it. My Speedmaster CAN hack if I apply a little bit of backwind because it is strong enough, but the makers clearly didn't want to risk any extra strain.

The manual that came with my Speedmaster actually recommends doing this to sync up the second hand with the correct time. It definitely takes a little while to get the hang of it, since holding it for too long or turning it backwards too far makes the second hand go backwards or stop for a while.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #4,105 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, know what you mean, you probobly go a bit paranoid knowing you have the money equivalent of a small family sedan on your wrist,

Sometimes I think he treats it better than his car...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #4,107 of 14,275
Dec 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #4,108 of 14,275
Actually, its 32Khz quartz, meaning its accurate to 15 seconds a month, its the radio sync that keeps it in time,
if you want superaccurate without "cheating", a 192khz quartz watch is accurate to 20 seconds a year, like the seiko SBCM023 or the brietling superquartz watches,

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #4,109 of 14,275
^I know this, actually in pdf manual it is +-20secs a month, but it has radio support so it is always showing me GMT to the second constantly. How it is accurate is inconsequential, it is. How a watch showing GMT precisely is cheating? I'll suffer and suffer it automatically changing to summertime.

Improving technology...Vacuum cleaner, meh whats wrong with a dustpan & brush?

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4,110 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I know this, actually in pdf manual it is +-20secs a month, but it has radio support so it is always showing me GMT to the second constantly. How it is accurate is inconsquential, it is. How a watch showing GMT precisely is cheating? I'll suffer and suffer it automatically changing to summertime.

He's talking about the automatic time adjustment it receives. Not that it really matters either way...it's hard to find an inaccurate quartz movement. Nice looking watch btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back