Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #3,406 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
It looks pretty nice, how much are they?
I must be missing the prices?

It's about $180.00 USD. I am a fan of the simple pilot style watches. While looking for one I came across this company but I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #3,407 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey...What ever happened to our Lum-Tec pre-orders?

We were promised delivery dates of July and yet I have not heard from them for payment or ETA's.
Anyone else hear from them?

I don't think anything was promised, per se. Chris has long said that quality will come first and foremost, not a production deadline. I asked him when the B2 and B3 would be ready about a week ago, and he said sometime in August.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #3,408 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusicp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's about $180.00 USD. I am a fan of the simple pilot style watches. While looking for one I came across this company but I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

Never heard of them before. If you are looking for a inexpensive pilot style watch, this may suit you:

IMG_4726.jpg

Being sold by a fellow named "yobokies". I have not done business with him. He modifies Seiko watches with new dials and hands. I suggest you contact him to see what he has- if you are interested.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3,409 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyacorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard of them before. If you are looking for a inexpensive pilot style watch, this may suit you:

Being sold by a fellow named "yobokies". I have not done business with him. He modifies Seiko watches with new dials and hands. I suggest you contact him to see what he has- if you are interested.

Yobokies modded Seikos are popular on the watch boards. He does good work...buy with confidence.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #3,411 of 14,284
Quote:

That Yobokies' Seiko watch is gorgeous! I think I will order one soon! Can you guys tell me the advantages of the "Optional thick AR coated domed sapphire". Thanks!

Pretty and more blingy also stronger than the stock Hardex stuff. IIRC

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #3,412 of 14,284
Quote:

That Yobokies' Seiko watch is gorgeous! I think I will order one soon! Can you guys tell me the advantages of the "Optional thick AR coated domed sapphire". Thanks!

the advantage is no reflections will be seen on the glass, or at least they will be of a blue tint allowing your eyes to focus behind the reflected glass and on to the watch dial.

some people like it some dont feel the need for it. i can tell you from experience that if you do go with this option make sure both sides of the crystal are treated in case you rub off part of the outside layer then need to fully remove it.

my Raymond Weil had some of the AR removed from the polisher place at Tourneau Chicago, looked like ass and all they did to fix it was remove the rest..thanks for the great service on your mess up!
mad.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #3,415 of 14,284
A recent jewlery store got in a watch that looks similar to this one except with a black anodized stainless steel casing instead of plain stainless steel. Very attractive, great feel on my wrist, I just have a hard time paying $200 for a Quartz watch without a sapphire crystal.

SNDA57P1-21.jpg

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #3,416 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sapphire is extremely hard to scratch. I'd go for it if the price is reasonable as the Hardlex on a Seiko 5 is not particularly scratch resistant.

What he said, although I think the Hardlex is tougher than PF indicates.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #3,417 of 14,284
Quote:

Any AR-coated crystal is going to make the watch look like it doesn't have a crystal. The matte coating makes the crystal disappear, so to speak...doubly so if you have the coating on both sides.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #3,418 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What he said, although I think the Hardlex is tougher than PF indicates.

x2. Hardlex is one of the better non-sapphire crystals. It will be much more shatter resistant than sapphire, too. Sapphire is basically the only scratch-proof crystal you can get but it is also one of the least resistant to shattering. This might sound doom-and-gloom but it's not really that bad. I've only ever damaged one sapphire crystal and it was a small chip along the edge from knocking it into a door knob.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #3,419 of 14,284
I stopped wearing watches a while back but this one caught my eye in a used jewelry case today and I bought it with the intention of using it daily. As far as I can tell this is the Pulsar V657-6250

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #3,420 of 14,284
There are 2 varieties of Hardlex, one used on the divers and nicer watches, and the other on cheaper watches like the 5s. I've found the stuff on my 007 to be very nice indeed. It's only picked up very fine scratches and dings that you can't even see 99% of the time. The diver gets a lot more accidental knocks on account of its size too. I didn't really find the crystal on my Seiko 5 to be any better than the other mineral crystals I've owned.
This sticky on Watchuseek is where I heard about there being two varieties of Hardlex:

Settling The Great Crystal Debate. Sapphire Vs. Hardlex... - Watchuseek Watch Fora

BTW, my cousin shattered the sapphire crystal of a Longines dress watch just by dropping it, so Hardlex is a fine compromise IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back