Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 25, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #3,376 of 14,302
FYI here is a fascinating article on the function of the 1861 movement inside the Speedmaster Pro:

http://indepth.watchprosite.com/show...ost/ti-364662/

Here are a few pics of the 1861:

indepth_image.323827.jpg

indepth_image.323837.jpg

indepth_image.323867.jpg

indepth_image.323887.jpg

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #3,378 of 14,302
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI here is a fascinating article on the function of the 1861 movement inside the Speedmaster Pro:

http://indepth.watchprosite.com/show...ost/ti-364662/

OMG
eek.gif
! I had no idea.

Thanks for sharing that. After reading that article, I'll need 2 aspirins along with that martini, please. Wow.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3,381 of 14,302
Yes. If I were looking for a Speedmaster I think I would prefer an older Pre-Moon with the 321, or at least an 861 or 1863... The nylon brake makes me a bit nervous. Of course, it means nothing to the function. I've never heard of a Speedmaster failing because of the nylon brake! The chances are far higher that a vintage watch will need work...

My favorite Omega at the moment is the new 39mm Railmaster. I really want one but I'm not sure I want to replace one of my other watches with it.

OmegaRailmaster01.jpg

OmegaRailmaster02.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always had an eye out for a used speedmaster with the 861 movement in it. that is the true moon watch!
(well if you dont count the 321..hehe)
here is more on the story about the watch and the Moon, goes nicely with tjk's link

nice link btw

What watches were worn on or near the moon?

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #3,384 of 14,302
Quote:

Yes. If I were looking for a Speedmaster I think I would prefer an older Pre-Moon with the 321, or at least an 861 or 1863... The nylon brake makes me a bit nervous. Of course, it means nothing to the function. I've never heard of a Speedmaster failing because of the nylon brake! The chances are far higher that a vintage watch will need work...

My favorite Omega at the moment is the new 39mm Railmaster. I really want one but I'm not sure I want to replace one of my other watches with it.

I'm nervous by any Co-Axial, honestly. I just haven't heard enough nice stuff about them... they could be great at this point, but the failures early on really tainted my opinion on them.

And yeah, no matter what kind of Speedy we get, it's going to be a newer version with the display back. The brown has that, the moonphase has it, and the standard black sapphire sandwich has it.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #3,385 of 14,302
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always had an eye out for a used speedmaster with the 861 movement in it. that is the true moon watch!
(well if you dont count the 321..hehe)
here is more on the story about the watch and the Moon, goes nicely with tjk's link

nice link btw

What watches were worn on or near the moon?

The current 1861 only differs from the 861 in the plating used and an extra jewel. There are 861 movements that have the nylon brake so getting an 861 won't guarantee that the brake is metal. So I do not think there is any reason to wait for an 861 over a used 1861 outside of the fact that the 861 (with the exception of maybe a few transition watches) has the tritium dial. But I do not like my tritium dial, even being the last year of tritium production the lume now (10 years old) is not very effective.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #3,387 of 14,302
Quote:

The nylon brake was actually added to increase durability of the movement because it allows for less wear on the internal parts. My Speedmaster is a sapphire sandwich so it has the 1863 movement with a metal brake. I'm not too worried about durability
tongue_smile.gif

I agree about the Railmaster, though. That's a nice looking watch but I would go for the bigger version (41/42 mm?)

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #3,388 of 14,302
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nylon brake was actually added to increase durability of the movement because it allows for less wear on the internal parts. My Speedmaster is a sapphire sandwich so it has the 1863 movement with a metal brake. I'm not too worried about durability
tongue_smile.gif

I agree about the Railmaster, though. That's a nice looking watch but I would go for the bigger version (41/42 mm?)

Interesting. So the nylon brake makes it easier on the chrono wheel? I would imagine that the brake would wear more quickly. Although I suppose one is not using the chrono all the time. If any part of the movement is going to be plastic, I guess the brake would be the most logical choice. I thought it was more a convenience and "we can get away with this piece being plastic" thing (one reason being that it does not require precise teeth)

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3,389 of 14,302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm nervous by any Co-Axial, honestly. I just haven't heard enough nice stuff about them... they could be great at this point, but the failures early on really tainted my opinion on them.

And yeah, no matter what kind of Speedy we get, it's going to be a newer version with the display back. The brown has that, the moonphase has it, and the standard black sapphire sandwich has it.

Yes, after looking at the function of the co-axial escapement it seems like a pretty complicated solution to a relatively negligible problem.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #3,390 of 14,302
Quote:

Interesting. So the nylon brake makes it easier on the chrono wheel? I would imagine that the brake would wear more quickly. Although I suppose one is not using the chrono all the time. If any part of the movement is going to be plastic, I guess the brake would be the most logical choice. I thought it was more a convenience and "we can get away with this piece being plastic" thing (one reason being that it does not require precise teeth)

They have been using the Delrin brakes for at least 30 years so I do not think people should worry too much about their durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back