Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #3,226 of 14,276
Here's a local story about the police finding a sunken $16,000 Rolex at the bottom of a river 2 years after it was dumped, and it was still ticking.

CPD Finds &#39Sunken Treasures&#39 In The Scioto | NBC4i.com

They make it out to be a miracle that it was still ticking, but the Scioto river is not exaclty a "deep" river. Maybe 20-30 feet deep MAX in some spots.

May 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #3,227 of 14,276
It's a Daytona!

sciotosunkentreasure052209.jpg

May 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #3,228 of 14,276
It's a probably a Folex if it's a Daytona, has been sitting for two years, and is still running. Daytonas are automatics and require movement or winding to keep running. Though, the movement involved in retrieving the watch could have been enough to wind it.

May 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #3,229 of 14,276
Yeah, I assumed that they got it running first in order to check if it was still working. I doubt if a fake Rolex with a battery movement would keep the water out for that long under that much water.

May 28, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #3,231 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. We need review just to shake things up a bit.
biggrin.gif

[size=medium]WATCH REVIEW:
[/size]
(damn right it is....)

Christiano Domani (supposedly) dive watch.

That is a hilarious review! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

May 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #3,233 of 14,276
I LOVE watches - big passion of mine....so here are 3 from my collection that really represent the diversity of timepieces.

PSM-PAM-RM.jpg

1. Speake-Marin Serpent Calendar - not from any of the major watch houses, but from a very talented independent watchmaker. Very traditional in it's look with a real enamel dial....really epitomizes classic watchmaking

2. Richard Mille 005 - One of the poster childs for new age watchmaking. Very high tech looking, incredible attention to detail, super multi-layered construction and generally a kick ass timepiece

3. Panerai 233 - 8 day GMT. One of the first inhouse movement equipped Panerais. Whole brand was born out of Italian military use and this one is just so retro, over the top and fairly big. With a 8 day manual wind movement, a super dome crystal - it looks like it came out of the 50/60s, but it's a thoroughly modern watch..

Variety is definitely the spice of life.

Enjoy!

-Sam

May 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #3,234 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad that my watch at least can make people happy.

Only one question: What if you replace the 10-yr battery with a 5-yr battery. Do you have to have the face repainted, and the back re-engraved?

May 29, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #3,235 of 14,276
Very nice watches! Love the RM and the PAM! The in-house PAM movements are so great. I am waiting for them to do an 8-day or 10-day Base in 47mm no power reserve, no date, just a sub-second at 9 o'clock. I feel like that would be the most true to the original designs with the old Rolex and Angelus movements in them.

Also, Richard Mille is really quite amazing. I feel like they broke the mold by using innovative materials and designs. I'm not quite sure, though. Maybe other makers were doing it before RM. It's certainly a new kind of watch-making.

Good stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by evosam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I LOVE watches - big passion of mine....so here are 3 from my collection that really represent the diversity of timepieces.

PSM-PAM-RM.jpg

1. Speake-Marin Serpent Calendar - not from any of the major watch houses, but from a very talented independent watchmaker. Very traditional in it's look with a real enamel dial....really epitomizes classic watchmaking

2. Richard Mille 005 - One of the poster childs for new age watchmaking. Very high tech looking, incredible attention to detail, super multi-layered construction and generally a kick ass timepiece

3. Panerai 233 - 8 day GMT. One of the first inhouse movement equipped Panerais. Whole brand was born out of Italian military use and this one is just so retro, over the top and fairly big. With a 8 day manual wind movement, a super dome crystal - it looks like it came out of the 50/60s, but it's a thoroughly modern watch..

Variety is definitely the spice of life.

Enjoy!

-Sam

May 29, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #3,236 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only one question: What if you replace the 10-yr battery with a 5-yr battery. Do you have to have the face repainted, and the back re-engraved?

Now that is a good question. I think it will be unethical for me to replace the battery to 5 years one. It would be lying to myself then eh?
Or maybe as a good customer, if I replaced it with 5yr one, I'd send the watch back to the manufacturer to get it redone to 5 years.

May 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #3,237 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a probably a Folex if it's a Daytona, has been sitting for two years, and is still running. Daytonas are automatics and require movement or winding to keep running. Though, the movement involved in retrieving the watch could have been enough to wind it.

I took it to mean that watch still works, the wound it up and it was still ticking.

May 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #3,239 of 14,276
Aye mate I got the seiko's and I love'em. The got delayed at the customs for a while cause I tried to be a smartass and asked the ebay-er to mark them with under 50$ value. That didn't work this time.
redface.gif

Also didn't want to post crappy cell phone pics because they ain't doin' justice with the watches, but erm, **** it that's all there is for now.
imageupload105797052.jpg

imageupload108720592.jpg

So thanks for the tip man. For 36$ each they're a bargain. I love'em. Especially the khaki one.
Still want this Police Twingear or one of those Honda Seiko's...
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:bleh those pics... treat them as wrist shots and nothing more. this is how the watch really looks like
seiko7s2602j05military.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back