Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 28, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2,191 of 14,301
IMG_1901.jpg

Excellent color matching and accessor-"izing", Billy.

Do you do wedding planning and divorces?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #2,192 of 14,301
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's not caring about accuracy such as +- a minute a week, and then there's really bad accuracy to the point that you can get in trouble timewise. Seiko's 7SX6 movements can be up to several minutes off per day from my owning two of them. I could live with up to +-30 seconds a day, but not several minutes. A lot of them are quite pretty and unique but I never considered another one due to their terrible accuracy. They're really more of a novelty to experience an automatic than a serious timekeeper out of the box. They can be regulated, but then you're paying probably half as much as what the watch costed to get it done, if not just as much as what the watch costed.

If you gotta start with a Seiko automatic, I'd go with something equipped with least a 6R15.

Whoa, a 7s26 being off by several MINUTES a day? I've never heard of that unless the 7S26 was borked somehow. The vast vast majority of 7S26 owners all say its about 10-15 seconds fast per day. Anything more than that have come from people with lemons. Ive had mine for two days now, and after the first day it was about 13 seconds off.

Quote:

The 6R15 is most commonly used in Seiko's Spirit lineup, which is pretty much all dress watches. It is also used in the recently made Seiko "Sumo" diver. After the 6R15, the next in line would be the 6R20, but the price also doubles on these watches; mainly used in the Premier lineup, these retail at over $1000 with street prices around $700.

After that, you have the 8L35 used in Seiko's Marine Master lineup, essentially an undecorated Grand Seiko movement, which retails at over $2000. And then the cream of the crop Grand Seiko 9S55 which go beyond Swiss Chronometer specs.

It's also used in the Alpinist (edit: the 6R15), while not a dive watch, is rated to 200m.

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #2,193 of 14,301
An SCVS005 is my winter daily wearer (it fits under a shirt sleeve) which is part of the Spirit line.

SCVS005-10.jpg

The major advantages of the 6R15 are that it hacks and handwinds. So while mine runs 5-7 secs. fast per day, it's very easy to re-set.

If the US$ were a little stronger, though, I'd really go for that hindu-arabic Stowa with the subdial
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #2,194 of 14,301
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, a 7s26 being off by several MINUTES a day? I've never heard of that unless the 7S26 was borked somehow. The vast vast majority of 7S26 owners all say its about 10-15 seconds fast per day. Anything more than that have come from people with lemons. Ive had mine for two days now, and after the first day it was about 13 seconds off.

Heh, I was annoyed my TAG[battery powered] is now a second behind after setting 28 days ago.

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #2,196 of 14,301
Quote:

The 6R15 is most commonly used in Seiko's Spirit lineup, which is pretty much all dress watches. It is also used in the recently made Seiko "Sumo" diver. After the 6R15, the next in line would be the 6R20, but the price also doubles on these watches; mainly used in the Premier lineup, these retail at over $1000 with street prices around $700.

After that, you have the 8L35 used in Seiko's Marine Master lineup, essentially an undecorated Grand Seiko movement, which retails at over $2000. And then the cream of the crop Grand Seiko 9S55 which go beyond Swiss Chronometer specs.

Thanks MUCH for such a great answer - now I have lots more to go read
wink.gif

Also, great pictures of those high-end models posted above. Certainly out of my price range
eek.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #2,197 of 14,301
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful pieces! The last one with the porcelain dial, is the case platinum or white gold?

It's a 950 platinum case. I think the other reason it's so expensive is that the movement itself is pretty state of the art for Seiko and is a first of its kind.

"The movement in this watch has a "torque saving system" that improves the power reserve of the watch while maintaining its timekeeping. The first 35 hours (approximately) of the mainspring uses only about 30% of the torque. Ordinarily the handwound Spring Drive calibre 7R88 used in this model has a power reserve of 48 hours, but with the modifications it rises to 60 hours"

What's really neat too about these high end Seikos is that Seiko incorporates some very Japanese-like themes into these watches. The mainspring area on the backside of this watch incorporates a flower engraving of a flower in Japan:

home_image.614241.jpg

Also on the Sonnerie, the long cut out on the front of the watch below the flower engraving surrounding the mainspring is meant to evoke an image of a flower floating down a river.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #2,200 of 14,301
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am i the only guy that thinks Breitlings are ugly as hell? :p

Which particular Breitlings don't you care for and why? They have quite a range.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #2,201 of 14,301
x2 kwkarth above.

As with any manufacturer, Breitling makes a very wide range of watches and not all will be to your tastes.

To me, the classic Navitimer on leather is one of the best looking watches made (though I still prefer a Speedmaster Pro)

jomashop_2013_1044483634

I don't tend to like Breitling's more contemporary watches like those they make "for" Bentley.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #2,203 of 14,301
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the classic Navitimer on leather is one of the best looking watches made (though I still prefer a Speedmaster Pro)

Couldn't agree more. The Old Navitimer is one of the most classy watches I've seen.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2,205 of 14,301
Quote:

Originally Posted by nic08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is very simple looking and cheap, I don't really wear them a lot, besides they're all function the same
smily_headphones1.gif

To some extent, i.e. they all tell the time and most the date too.

From reading this thread though you'll know there are many features which are objectively superior...just physical things:

Time keeping. This varies so much. My TAG has lost a second in 30 days...for some this is huge and for others it is insignificant.

Divers Watches; Water-resistant to X-000 ft

Material of watch. Maybe it is Titanium; lighter and stronger than steel.

Material of glass/face. You might find 'Sapphire Crystal', which is almost impossible to scratch.

Glow in dark. Forget its name, but some watches have numerals which glow constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back