Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #1,966 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bhd812 showed me his Tissot T-Touch. Really impressive. Very lightweight too. Love that "touch screen" feature.

Also, one of the few watches that are suitable for my girly wrists.

It's on the short list for if/when my trusty Seiko dies.

-Ed

Do watch out for the T-Touch's weakness against water. It's only 30m resist, and someone on WatchUSeek took it showering and it died on him. Quite a problem-prone model.

May 10, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #1,967 of 14,275
Quote:

...It's on the short list for if/when my trusty Seiko dies.

-Ed

That could be a long time
eek.gif

USG

d-_-b

May 10, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #1,968 of 14,275
I've got a £400 Titanium/gold Seiko kinetic, lovely watch. My Tag didn't replace a dead watch.

Being disabled/pretty immobile is not ideal for a kinetic watch.

May 10, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #1,969 of 14,275
Quote:

bhd812 showed me his Tissot T-Touch. Really impressive. Very lightweight too. Love that "touch screen" feature.

Also, one of the few watches that are suitable for my girly wrists.

It's on the short list for if/when my trusty Seiko dies.

-Ed

Thanks for the mention man! i find myself wearing that so much i have to take it off and put something else on sometimes..comfortably techi watch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do watch out for the T-Touch's weakness against water. It's only 30m resist, and someone on WatchUSeek took it showering and it died on him. Quite a problem-prone model.

Actually as far as watches and water depth rating go i suggest you read up on it a bit before you run your forum mouth and put down a product wear its common knowledge that any watch rated at 100m or less should not be worn in the shower or swimming!!!

anything 100m or less is just a splash proof timepiece, lots of dress watches or watches not marketed towards divers will fit in the category. nothing is actually meant to be "problem-prone" about the T-Touch's water rating, of course any watch should stop if rated at 100m or less...

duh...

T-Touch has a few minor issue's but water seal is not one of them, at least the seal is good as they say it is.

May 10, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #1,970 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually as far as watches and water depth rating go i suggest you read up on it a bit before you run your forum mouth and put down a product wear its common knowledge that any watch rated at 100m or less should not be worn in the shower or swimming!!!

anything 100m or less is just a splash proof timepiece, lots of dress watches or watches not marketed towards divers will fit in the category. nothing is actually meant to be "problem-prone" about the T-Touch's water rating, of course any watch should stop if rated at 100m or less...

duh...

T-Touch has a few minor issue's but water seal is not one of them, at least the seal is good as they say it is.

T-Touch is supposed to be an "adventure watch" right, with all of it's altimeter, barometer, compass and what-not functions? 30m WR is pretty lame, then, because you can't really take it anywhere with you where it might get hit by water. If it's a dress watch it shouldn't pretend to be a go-anywhere, do-anything watch. That's just silly.

I've showered/swum with 25M rated Timex, Seiko, 50M Casios etc, and jumped off diving boards 10M high and whatnot - no problem whatsoever. You'd expect a watch costing $400-500 to at least match these $50 watches' performance.

And if you did do a search, you'll come up with a lot of reviews and threads - even just using Google - that highlight T-Touch's problem-prone nature.

Just a few examples:
Tissot T touch - Titanium - Watchuseek Watch Forums
Tissot Jewelry & Watch Reviews - T-Touch Mens T33758841 Watch - T33758841
Brandish: Tissot T-Touch watch
Review of the Tissot-T tactile watch - Engadget
T Touch Compass malfunction [Archive] - Watchuseek Watch Forums

May 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #1,971 of 14,275
I'm not in the ballpark of some of the hardcore enthusiasts with their Panerais and Pateks, but I have three that I really like. Find myself drawn to German engineering, for some reason. I have a Sinn U1 (fantastic!), a Marathon GSAR on a 20mm watchadoo bracelet that I wear for military duty/sporting events/music festivals or anywhere "rough", and this UTS 3000m I just got. It's a massive tank of a watch, typical overbuilt German engineering, and a somewhat unique full-lume dial.

May 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #1,972 of 14,275
The Marathon's Canadian-designed.
wink.gif

But nice Sinn and UTS. I've always liked the super-deep UTS models. They look like they'll survive nuclear war.

May 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #1,973 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Marathon's Canadian-designed.
wink.gif

But nice Sinn and UTS. I've always liked the super-deep UTS models. They look like they'll survive nuclear war.

Ah, my fault - didn't mean to insinuate the Marathons were.
smily_headphones1.gif
That GSAR is a nifty little watch. As "cluttered" and unspectacular as it is, I get as much enjoyment out of it as I do my others. Very comfy too.

And you might be right. This thing weighs half a pound!

Good to see other watch enthusiasts on the board. I recognize some names from Watchuseek and Timezone. Names with much, much better collections than mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #1,974 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, my fault - didn't mean to insinuate the Marathons were.
smily_headphones1.gif
That GSAR is a nifty little watch. As "cluttered" and unspectacular as it is, I get as much enjoyment out of it as I do my others. Very comfy too.

And you might be right. This thing weighs half a pound!

Good to see other watch enthusiasts on the board. I recognize some names from Watchuseek and Timezone. Names with much, much better collections than mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe. Sorry if I came across as accusatory on the Marathon thing - just wanted to point out its Canadian roots. I used to have a TSAR, and I loved it.

May 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #1,976 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...its common knowledge that any watch rated at 100m or less should not be worn in the shower or swimming!!!

anything 100m or less is just a splash proof timepiece,

Now, that's just plain silly Billy....

100M.... fully immersed many times, no problem

standard.jpg

100M.... fully immersed many times over 30 years, no problem

standard.jpg

50M.... fully immersed, and daily showers, 2 years, got beat up a little, but no leaks

standard.jpg

30M.... I wash it off all the time, surg. scrub and water, no leaks, no problems

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

30M.... also washed regularly, no problems

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

USG

d-_-b

May 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #1,977 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, that's just plain silly Billy....

100M.... fully immersed many times, no problem

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

USG

d-_-b

USG, I just love these two watches. Seriously nice. The Speedbird is just awesome... I LOVE IT AND WANT ONE. It is like the perfect pilot's watch. Seriously.

The Eberhard is also nice... manual wind, it looks like?

What straps are those? Lovely colours.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #1,978 of 14,275
Here's my Seiko Black Monster.

Picked it up a few months ago... I thought it would be huge on my skinny wrist.. but it feels/looks fine. It feels real solid.

Only thing is that it runs about 5 min fast per week... Its going to cost more to get it regulated then what I paid for it.

If someone has a suggestion on a good/cheap watch repair in the SFBay Area... I appreciate it.

DSC_4641b.jpg

May 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #1,979 of 14,275
Ventura.jpg

I don't have photo hosting, but my favorite watch is one of these on a stainless strap. This is a Ventura V-Matic chronometer. Ventura, unfortunately, is no longer with us. A shame, since they made superb watches. I prefer a very simple, straightforward watch. This is the most straightforward and unadorned I've ever seen, it's built like a tank and keeps great time. I usually only get it out for formal/dress-up events.

Competing for the formal work is one like this:

G36.jpg

This is a Longines Ultra-Chron. Superb watch, but sort of got forgotten in the rush to quartz. I found it in a junk store for $12 a few years back and put a new band on it. This, along with a Parker 51, were the only "nice" things I had during a period of student starvation. I had the watch fully restored a few years back and dropped a nice crocodile band on it.

As for my other regular wear watches, they're:

AnfibioPoloFortis.jpg

Fortis Cosmonaut. Still pretty straightforward and a nice watch. I wear this to work and any time I shave and clean up to go somewhere.

The beater:

westcoastime_1997_10081831

You can find these for $250 here:

MP-2824 British Military style AUTOMATIC Pilot watch NOW SAPPHIRE

It has an ETA automatic movement and is a huge bargain for the price. I keep mine on a black nylon NATO strap and it goes everywhere. And despite the price, it's a really nice watch. The case is well made and the fit and finish are good.

For fun:

1965bulova.jpg

Who doesn't love a Spaceview? Mine is on a green crocodile strap. Always cool, always gets a lot of attention.

I've got a number of other watches, but these are the ones I wear. Have been toying with picking up a Sinn 656 - I just love those. Also have a nifty Omega Constellation f360Hz that needs a little surgery, but is a great watch.

May 12, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #1,980 of 14,275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my Seiko Black Monster.

Picked it up a few months ago... I thought it would be huge on my skinny wrist.. but it feels/looks fine. It feels real solid.

Only thing is that it runs about 5 min fast per week... Its going to cost more to get it regulated then what I paid for it.

If someone has a suggestion on a good/cheap watch repair in the SFBay Area... I appreciate it.

DSC_4641b.jpg

I have an Orange Monster that I don't wear...a bit loud for me...but it's a fantastic watch for the spendola. Suggestion? Just leave it as is. Spending the $$$ on getting regulated will diminish the bargain factor, and it'll slow down a bit anyway. The Monsters are never going to keep great time. If you get one in the +30 sec a day range, you're about ballpark.

Also, what are you asking for your 0404? PM or email me (woof07 at gmail) if you want to chat about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back