Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #12,601 of 14,275
I guess I have a couple of watches. I'm almost afraid to show all of them. But here's some of them.

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #12,602 of 14,275
This month's additions to my growing hoard, I mean collection. Seiko Auto Diver, Seiko Quartz Diver, Gruen Auto (ETA 2824), Seiko Chrono Date w/ 7A38 movement. Shown next to my AKG K340 and Hifiman HE-4xx (also purchased this month). Been going for vintage watches recently.

IMG_2209.jpg

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #12,603 of 14,275
^^looks like you are a big Seiko fan, are you hiding any Credors in the collection pic.

Hard to see everything in detail with the HF pic quality.

I really like some of the new GS with the enamel dials too.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #12,604 of 14,275
I got some other watches in hiding.

I've been considering for months purchasing a GS Snow Flake Spring Drive. I just wanted to wait to see what the reliability is. So far they are looking really good. For many years, I only bought Swiss watches, then I expended to Seiko and Citizen. I've also been getting into some of the more recent micro-brands as well as Russian and Chinese watches. If my headphones addiction is bad, my watch addiction is worse.

IMG_2218.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #12,605 of 14,275
Not sure if we are allowed to post external links, so I'm playing it safe.

On youtube, there are some pretty awesome watches being reviewed by the user TickTocking (Steve Hallock). Just check out his uploads page.

His latest video contains several complicated Greubel Forsey watches. The De Bethune ones are also pretty cool. They are however in the 100's of thousands, but it's nice to see the kind of stuff that is out there. There's also a video "Vianney Halter talks about the Deep Space Tourbillon" on youtube. The amount of time and dedication it takes to make one of these is pretty insane.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #12,606 of 14,275
I have two friends with GS sprig drive watches, both are worn lightly in rotation but no problems.

FWIW one insists that the GS bought out of japan(or singapore dealers via japan) are of a higher fit and finish than those that are sold in other markets. And he has a few.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #12,607 of 14,275
I have two friends with GS sprig drive watches, both are worn lightly in rotation but no problems.

FWIW one insists that the GS bought out of japan(or singapore dealers via japan) are of a higher fit and finish than those that are sold in other markets. And he has a few.

I knew that the mid tier Japanese Domestic Market Seikos are supposed to have better fit and finish, but I did not know that it also holds true for the GS since it is their high end line. I do appreciate that info and I will look into buying a JDM one when it happens. Now I got to see what models are available in Japan that are not available in the US. Not sure how the warranty will be affected.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #12,608 of 14,275
Some awesome watch collections in this thread.
I have 8 myself, but I decided that I should STOP collecting them "RIGHT NOW" (a few years ago), because I have enough expensive hobbies.
I love watches, though. I love the engineering and care taken to make them.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #12,610 of 14,275
8 is a reasonable number both to cover various watch categories and so the pieces are worn quite frequently.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #12,611 of 14,275
8 is a reasonable number both to cover various watch categories and so the pieces are worn quite frequently.

I agree with SeaWolf. You don't really need more than 8 watches. I probably had about 10 watches 3 years ago, which was more than I needed, then I ended up visiting watch forums and my purchasing got out of control. Luckily they don't take much storage space. I recently bought 4 watches, but also sold off 4 watches, but I still have way too many... I really need to thin the herd and sell more of them off.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #12,612 of 14,275
Not counting the g shock I'm at 2 pieces right now. With 5 on my list. Going to grand Cayman in December. I'm also the only local person on my ADs list for a SS blue dial sky dweller. With some luck I'll have 2 more watches by the end of next year and three to go.

I reserve the right to impulse buy though..

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #12,613 of 14,275
Not counting the g shock I'm at 2 pieces right now. With 5 on my list. Going to grand Cayman in December. I'm also the only local person on my ADs list for a SS blue dial sky dweller. With some luck I'll have 2 more watches by the end of next year and three to go.

I waited 14 months for my blue Skydweller and it is my go to watch now....it's worth the wait. What are you hoping to find at Grand Cayman?

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #12,614 of 14,275

I did instantly spot a blue SS Sky Dweller on a wrist a couple days ago. I does look really nice and has good wrist presence. Great choice on a lovely watch.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #12,615 of 14,275
Oh nothing that I really have any hope of running across, but it is GC so anything is possible.

A Nautilus 5711 is on my list but even though I'm odd in that i prefer the white dial, they just don't exist. And I would like a Royal Oak 15400ST and again I prefer the white dial on that too. I plan to own both for a short time and keep the one I like more. I would consider a 15202 but I don't think they have done that in a white dial, so I would have to have a long think on that one if I see it. Which I wont since that is boutique only and the AP location is a dealer, unless that has changed in 18 months.

Even if I see the skydweller there I will pass. I want to deal with my local AD.

There are some other watches I will see out there that I would like to buy but I already got a new watch this year and the wife says one a year. I can swing a second with her if it is a rare high demand piece, otherwise I have to wait.

Although I did trade my dssd for my 300m so maybe if I buy a second this year its not really a violation of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back