Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #11,357 of 14,276

I typically wear a LLBean tririum field watch or a G-Shock, but this one rotates in fairly often.  

A lot of it is not original at this point--the pearl is new, the minute hand got re-lumed at some point, and the original band broke and fortunately landed INSIDE the canoe in the 80's.  It's been polished more than once, the crystal is fairly new.  My dad bought it in 1969.  He flew missions in Vietnam with it, I wore it on a SSBN patrol (missile sub), and my brother work it for a while flying in Afghanistan.  

That's me on the left:

[Mod edit - fixed image links]

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #11,359 of 14,276

I typically wear a LLBean tririum field watch or a G-Shock, but this one rotates in fairly often.  

A lot of it is not original at this point--the pearl is new, the minute hand got re-lumed at some point, and the original band broke and fortunately landed INSIDE the canoe in the 80's.  It's been polished more than once, the crystal is fairly new.  My dad bought it in 1969.  He flew missions in Vietnam with it, I wore it on a SSBN patrol (missile sub), and my brother work it for a while flying in Afghanistan.  

That's me on the left:

[Mod edit - fixed image links]

That's fantastic. Great history - you are lucky to have that. As PalJoey says, that family connection is more valuable than what the watch may be worth objectively.

All the best. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #11,360 of 14,276
  That's fantastic. Great history - you are lucky to have that. As PalJoey says, that family connection is more valuable than what the watch may be worth objectively.

All the best. 

I'm more thankful to have a dad that is sentimental to the point of being pushy.  "Here!  Take this and wear it for a couple of months!"  He's a guy that knows how to play the long game.

He bought it back when it was known as a rugged watch.  I think $250 (from a guy that came back from leave in Hong Kong and had bought a couple of them for $200).

The G-Shock is more my thing these days.  I remember when they first came out thinking how danged clunky they looked.  But one day, I'm up in the superstructure of the submarine watching them torque down the nuts on a shore service trunk getting ready to head to sea (if you've ever seen 1000 ft-lbs applied on a dozen 2 1/2" nuts, it's a good time).  Well, part of the job is closing out the general area; making sure it was clear of tools, kickboards, zincs in passable shape, etc).   Behind the mechanics, I spotted a wad of duct tape, the submarine version, EB (Electic Boat) green, on one of the chunks of angle iron that supports the turtle-back of an SSBN.  I grabbed it, unwound it, and after about 6 turns, found a Casio G-Shock.  Half the band came off with the tape, but it was still keeping time.  And it had obviously been there for a fair period of time, and which, by the nature of things, had exceeded it's maximum depth rating at least once if not a couple of times.  I wish now that I'd pocketed that one.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #11,361 of 14,276
  I'm more thankful to have a dad that is sentimental to the point of being pushy.  "Here!  Take this and wear it for a couple of months!"  He's a guy that knows how to play the long game.

He bought it back when it was known as a rugged watch.  I think $250 (from a guy that came back from leave in Hong Kong and had bought a couple of them for $200).

The G-Shock is more my thing these days.  I remember when they first came out thinking how danged clunky they looked.  But one day, I'm up in the superstructure of the submarine watching them torque down the nuts on a shore service trunk getting ready to head to sea (if you've ever seen 1000 ft-lbs applied on a dozen 2 1/2" nuts, it's a good time).  Well, part of the job is closing out the general area; making sure it was clear of tools, kickboards, zincs in passable shape, etc).   Behind the mechanics, I spotted a wad of duct tape, the submarine version, EB (Electic Boat) green, on one of the chunks of angle iron that supports the turtle-back of an SSBN.  I grabbed it, unwound it, and after about 6 turns, found a Casio G-Shock.  Half the band came off with the tape, but it was still keeping time.  And it had obviously been there for a fair period of time, and which, by the nature of things, had exceeded it's maximum depth rating at least once if not a couple of times.  I wish now that I'd pocketed that one.

The G-Shock is as tough as they come.

Here are a few videos that demonstrate their toughness:

G-Shock Test of Toughness: Drop Test, Hammer Test, Piston Test, Vibration Test, Electric Shock Test, Ice Test, Deep Water Test

G-Shock - Torture Test: Ice & Heat

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #11,364 of 14,276
After seeing an SKX in person, I've decided to just spend a bit more money and go with a Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT. At the end of the day, I really want that GMT dial, it's incredibly useful for me.

Now, I'm fairly confident I want to do some shifting in my collection and sell some things to help offset the cost. Firstly, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my Maratac SR-3. If the Steinhart is what I'm hoping it'll be, that watch is just going to collect dust.

Where I'm torn is whether or not I should sell my Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic. That would leave me without a dress watch, so I'd likely just replace it with an Orient Bambino and end up with a bit of money saved. I feel like I might not get enough for the Hamilton to really make it worth it to give up such a beautiful, Swiss piece. I'll take everything one step at a time. Step 1. Make sure the Steinhart is what I'm hoping it is once it arrives. 2. Sell my SR-3. 3. Evaluate the Hamiltion situation after that.

Orients are nice for the money, but the Hamilton is definitely a better class of watch in fit and finish than the Bambino. Plus, if you plan on keeping the watch long term, I would imagine it's easier to find a jeweler who can service an ETA automatic movement (assuming that's what you have) than an Orient one.

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #11,365 of 14,276
I don't think http://www.willitblend.com/ have tried a G-Shock yet.

If they ever did, they would need to try different model G-Shocks, as not all are created completely equal. Most have a resin outer, but some are stainless steel and some are made out of titanium. Hopefully, at least one type of model would make it out alive. If not, no worries, if a watch was put in a blender or something with spinning blades under unique circumstances while the owner was wearing it, I would have to say that more than likely the owner would be in much worse shape.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #11,367 of 14,276
  Finally gave in and picked up a watch I've wanted for a while: Seiko Cocktail. Not sure if the IPA counts as a cocktail but it was yummy.

The Seiko looks nice and classy, congratulations!

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #11,368 of 14,276
  Finally gave in and picked up a watch I've wanted for a while: Seiko Cocktail. Not sure if the IPA counts as a cocktail but it was yummy.

-The Cocktail Time Seikos are wonderful, I've been ready to grab one the moment I see one for a couple of years now - congrats! (Oh, and thanks for the inspiration - I'm off to the beer fridge to get myself a nice IPA...)

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #11,370 of 14,276
Well done. That's been on my list since I saw it.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back