Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7,637 of 14,276
Last year i decided that pulling my phone out of my pocket to tell the time was annoying so i decided to buy myself a nice watch, unfortunately the Rolex Submariner i desired was way out of my price range so i settled on a yobokies modded seiko exactly as below, I'm pleased with it as it only cost 5% of the actual cost of a genuine Rolex Submariner and i'm happy with that as i figure it tells exactly the same time whilst still looking decent.

I still want/desire/need a Rolex Submariner though, perhaps when i win the lottery……….

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #7,639 of 14,276
  Last year i decided that pulling my phone out of my pocket to tell the time was annoying so i decided to buy myself a nice watch, unfortunately the Rolex Submariner i desired was way out of my price range so i settled on a yobokies modded seiko exactly as below, I'm pleased with it as it only cost 5% of the actual cost of a genuine Rolex Submariner and i'm happy with that as i figure it tells exactly the same time whilst still looking decent.

I still want/desire/need a Rolex Submariner though, perhaps when i win the lottery……….

Great looking watch. Nice photos too!!!

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #7,640 of 14,276
I'm afraid i can't take credit for the pics, they're taken from Yobokies (seikoboy) website…still a great looking watch though 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've been looking for a genuine Seiko Spork which is sort of like my watch above but with a better movement, slightly different styling and a step up in quality but Seiko stopped making them a few years ago. I've seen a few on Ebay but they're always around the £500/$800 price which is quite a lot to spend purely for an upgrade to my current watch.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #7,641 of 14,276
  I'm afraid i can't take credit for the pics, they're taken from Yobokies (seikoboy) website…still a great looking watch though 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've been looking for a genuine Seiko Spork which is sort of like my watch above but with a better movement, slightly different styling and a step up in quality but Seiko stopped making them a few years ago. I've seen a few on Ebay but they're always around the £500/$800 price which is quite a lot to spend purely for an upgrade to my current watch.

I like the Spork, but I prefer the looks of yours.
Classic and very understated.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #7,642 of 14,276

This watch looks so similar to the Submariner.

I bought my Submariner - no cyclops date, for $3300 in 2002. I asked Tourneau how much they would give 
me for it to trade it in for a 2-tone Sub (blue dial and gold inner links) and they offered me $3200. It only 
devalued $100 in 12 years! 
How many things, besides classic cars, can you say that!
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #7,643 of 14,276

I bought my Submariner - no cyclops date, for $3300 in 2002. I asked Tourneau how much they would give 
me for it to trade it in for a 2-tone Sub (blue dial and gold inner links) and they offered me $3200. It only 
beerchug.gif

Hey A

Long time no speak.  How are you?

So did you jump on the 2-tone Sub?  Was it the new larger model?

E

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #7,644 of 14,276
Well, technically, taking into inflation at 3% for example, over 12 years…. $3300 in today's money would be closer to like $4500.

So in that regards, you've lost $1300…….

But in principle I see where you are coming from, as for other things beside classic cars.

Stay away from Art and sticking with manufactured in an assembly line products…

Camera lenses, some even go up in value – Canon 50/1.0 or the 200/1.8.  Plus you can make money with it as well.
Vintage guitars, for example, high end Gibson Les Pauls.  Buy one and keep it mint and after 30 years and its value will go up too

Anyway, the watch is an homage to the Submariner, I don't have one to compare it to but I have compared it to an Omega Seamaster and another Rolex and that holds its own for built quality.  Sapphire glass, brushed stainless steel, Swiss automatic movement from ETA.  It's a steal for £300.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #7,646 of 14,276
Most Rolex dealers will give you what you paid for the watch (if it was from them) towards a new more expensive model.  It's a blanket thing so it doesn't matter if it a Sub or DateJust or Daytona.  The idea is that a Rolex will hold its value forever - it is really excellent marketing.

That said, yes, your Sub is worth considerably more on the open market.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #7,648 of 14,276

beerchug.gif

When ever some one asks me what decent watch they should buy I just say Rolex, at least you can get your money out close to or exactly what you put in years later. It is a trick with them never really changing the models too much year over year combined with the retail increases sometimes twice a year. Add dealer discounts and an always huge market wanting to buy, you have a recipe to protect the owners financially and them in turn turn more people on to Rolex. I bought the White Milgauss for $5600 after tax in December 2010 when retail was $6600 without tax. Now it is $7,650 even with 20% off new you're at 6,150 without tax. Or you can buy my same exact watch for $5000-5,600 and save over a 1,000 from new..plus you can sell it for again what you paid.  Not only do you get to wear a watch for years and walk out with what you put in but you get to wear a nice watch for years! 

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #7,649 of 14,276
Not

Hey A

Long time no speak.  How are you?

So did you jump on the 2-tone Sub?  Was it the new larger model?

E

Well, hello there!!!

No, I am putting a lot of my headphones and amps for sale this weekend to be able to buy some new stuff.

The new style 2-Tone Sub is $14K 
confused_face.gif
 because the center links are now solid gold instead of gold-plated and the lug and Oyster band are beefed up.
The band has a little flex built into it on all new Submariner models so the links don't get loosey goosey (not that I ever had that problem since 2002, but
maybe I'm lucky.
I have no need for those 2 things. If I went with it, it would be my trade in plus another $2K for a 2008 2-Tone. They were $6K new. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #7,650 of 14,276
  Not

Well, hello there!!!

No, I am putting a lot of my headphones and amps for sale this weekend to be able to buy some new stuff.

The new style 2-Tone Sub is $14K 
confused_face.gif
 because the center links are now solid gold instead of gold-plated and the lug and Oyster band are beefed up.
The band has a little flex built into it on all new Submariner models so the links don't get loosey goosey (not that I ever had that problem since 2002, but
maybe I'm lucky.
I have no need for those 2 things. If I went with it, it would be my trade in plus another $2K for a 2008 2-Tone. They were $6K new. 

Who told you that?  They are extremely miss-informed.  The center links have never ever been gold plated...  Unless it was made in China...

The center links on a 16613 (two tone non-C sub) were hallow, like a flattened pipe or tube.  On the new 116613 (two tone sub-C) there are machined pieces.  The clasp also represents a huge change in the bracelet as it was totally redesigned.

The watch itself changed a great deal too.  Even the movement has a some new modifications!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back