Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7,610 of 14,276
This is the latest one to catch my eye. It is the Victorinox Alpnach Limited Edition.
Victorinox makes really nice ~ $400 watches, but this one is $3500 
blink.gif

My wife bought me this one (Swiss Army Alliance Silver) 2 Christmas's ago and I get more compliments on it, than my Submariner and Seamaster Planet Ocean:

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7,611 of 14,276
  I would never need an anti-magnetic watch, but I really do like the look of the Milgauss. I think the green tinge in the glass is a stroke of genius and gives a very unique look.

I've never really like Omega... They have always seemed like a lesser shade of Rolex to me. But if I had to get one, it would be the Speedmaster Professional.

Same here, I wasn't a fan of Omega until I ran into, and got, the Seamaster ETNZ, which is a great value (very solid plus two bands.)  Too bad the team lost the America's Cup...

I have the Seamaster Planet Ocean, and since I bought it at Tourneau, 3 years ago, to the day, today, it always had problems
getting started from a spent status. In the beginning, I would have to pre-wind it more than 40 turns, then once I wore it a couple of hours 
it would hold a reserve of about 30 hours. But in the last 2 years, it's gotten worse and worse, and sometimes wouldn't even start up
unless I physically did multi Pete Townsend windmill moves 
tongue.gif
, and even then, it would die during sleep.

I read on some watch forums that this was a known Omega co-axial movement problem, and once people sent it back to Omega, the problem was
corrected, lasting the test of time (pardon the pun).  

Ironically, I was in a mall on Thursday, and I saw a Tourneau and walked in to tell them of my woes, and they looked up my purchase and told me
that I had 3 days left on my warranty. 1 year Omega (which I think is ludicrous for a $$$$ watch),  and 2 years extended Tourneau for buying from them.

Had I not, totally coincidentally, went into the White Plains mall to get a cup of Starbucks, I would have missed my warranty (which I thought was long over)
and would have had to pay for the repair out of pocket. Do-do, do-do. Do-do, do-do. Freaky!

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #7,614 of 14,276

I have the Seamaster Planet Ocean, and since I bought it at Tourneau, 3 years ago, to the day, today, it always had problems
getting started from a spent status. In the beginning, I would have to pre-wind it more than 40 turns, then once I wore it a couple of hours 
it would hold a reserve of about 30 hours. But in the last 2 years, it's gotten worse and worse, and sometimes wouldn't even start up
unless I physically did multi Pete Townsend windmill moves 
tongue.gif
, and even then, it would die during sleep.

I read on some watch forums that this was a known Omega co-axial movement problem, and once people sent it back to Omega, the problem was
corrected, lasting the test of time (pardon the pun).  

Ironically, I was in a mall on Thursday, and I saw a Tourneau and walked in to tell them of my woes, and they looked up my purchase and told me
that I had 3 days left on my warranty. 1 year Omega (which I think is ludicrous for a $$$$ watch),  and 2 years extended Tourneau for buying from them.

Had I not, totally coincidentally, went into the White Plains mall to get a cup of Starbucks, I would have missed my warranty (which I thought was long over)
and would have had to pay for the repair out of pocket. Do-do, do-do. Do-do, do-do. Freaky!

Nice timing. Sadly, my Sea Dweller is now 7 years old, so I will be needing a service in the near future. It's not so much the price that's bothering me, but the thought of being without my watch for a month.

It's like abandoning a friend.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #7,615 of 14,276

My interest started a couple of years back and has slowly built.  In the age of plastic fantastic its nice to appreciate and wonder at some of the old school craftsmanship. At the moment I am content to tinker around the edges learning.  I am more drawn to the vintage side rather than modern.

There are lot of very undervalued vintage watches out there if you know what to look for.  Whole brands, who's craftmanship of yesteryear rivals that of some of the finest of today, site on auction sites for a few hundred but their intrinsic value is way beyond that.  On the other hand, there are many WAY over valued vintage pieces.  Vintage watches are the nut house of the watch world (why on earth would a certain discolouration on a dial make it worth more!?!)...  Ahem.

Anyway, have fun collecting!  And if you every want to gab horology, you know how to reach me :)

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #7,619 of 14,276

Heres my baby, Just so you dont think all Seikos are dirty Seiko 5´s, My 8R28 Ananta Automatic Chrono.
BTW: All Omega Coaxials have 3 year warranty straight from Omega from what i understand,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back