Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 28, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #13,246 of 14,275
All this Rolex talk, for several pages now.
Please don't take this as an inconsiderate post, but... what is the appeal to you personally for the love of Rolex?

My rant:
My perspective is that they were quite innovative up until the early 70's, and after that, they began a significant marketing scheme that paid off greatly. These last few years, they have gone above and beyond by playing up their name through that long-running marketing ploy to make people who don't know much about watches to believe that Rolex is the apex. With limited reservations and sales, that has only added to the "hype", but where's the mojo to back up all that hype?
Meanwhile, their movements are not particularly spectacular, and their designs are well-copied (and created/imitated by other brands that now do it better), but they really don't have a need to do anything imaginative.
The Submariner at release was amazing. So, too, was the unverifiable guarantee of the Rolex Sea-Dweller... funny in a way, because of how ridiculous the impossibility is of verifying its promises with depth resistance. Again, a GREAT marketing ploy. Since then, what innovations have come from Rolex, either in physical design, or in the movement itself that has outshined its competition?
Rolex makes amazing watches, when compared to other watches in the sub-$2000 range. However, how much advantage is there based on price for their brand compared to almost any other watch at the same price range?
Personally, I am not intrigued by Rolex not ONLY because of the snooty and snotty people I know that have a Rolex and think they're "elite"... it also is a question of how it is a better watch at any price they sell it for, compared to other competitors.
Yes, Rolex is a well-known name. There is a really high resale value (but I buy watches for myself, and don't care about resale value). For an investment, I don't get why a watch would be a smart investment versus other things in this world. You'd have to not wear it to keep it mint and more sellable anyway. I like to wear my watches, and take as much care to them as possible. But, wear and tear will degrade its value regardless. Thus... the "resale value" issue becomes a non-issue for me. I simply don't care. In terms of originality of design, I have no clue why anyone thinks Rolex has an upper hand in any way in that area, because they haven't done anything particularly innovative with their design in 30+ years. But then, there's also the movement, or the way they polish/design the metal choice they use... but that's been the same for a long time as well. They don't have open-back cases because even Rolex admits that their movements aren't particularly attractive... which ALSO means that Rolex doesn't need to spend the time and effort to make these components look nice.
Thus, Rolex, to me, has the upper hand ONLY in name brand and showing off to others that you are "elite". But for me, I love watches due to all the more technical and stylistic elements that are put into its creation. I always look at a Rolex and wonder what they have done to push the field of horology further in the last few decades.
This all seems like I am bashing Rolex lovers. I'm not really doing that, because if you're a watch lover and can talk about watches, then I'm fine with someone appreciating what Rolex has to offer. I only get annoyed when people like to post on social media with a his/hers Rolex double shot and say, "Couples night out" as if that is supposed to impress. But this is the WORST of what Rolex has to offer. Or, for example, I have a limited edition watch that is more impressive my boss' Rolex, but he doesn't know what's on my wrist. He has it as a status symbol, and I almost want to laugh at how much he doesn't realize I have something special on my wrist, yet he doesn't even look at it or regard is as anything more than a simple Casio due to not being a watch lover. This doesn't upset me. It just makes me understand something about HIM. I learn immediately that he is concerned about image and having elite status, so he has a Rolex. If he doesn't notice what's on MY wrist, then I know that he is materialistic and wants to show status, but does not have an answer to the reasoning behind ownership of that watch.
This is why I make this long post... I want to hear why other people on this thread love Rolex so much. I want to understand it from the perspective of people who may actually know more about watches than those that fall into the Hype Train.

That's the primary reason I ask the question at the beginning of the post.

I have no love for the brand. I detest cyclops and mercedes hand firstly! And then the designs for me are too conservative. I bought my Daytona (non ceramic) when they were going for below RRP. But I have to admit I'm a bit conscious of wearing it in London, it's a bit flashy. It does however have one of the best automatic chronograph movements in its price range.

Nowadays I rarely try and get into discussing the brand. 5-7 years ago I'd have said most WIS should try a Rolex - but now that does not apply, too expensive and waitlists are a fools game IMO.Rolex are 'common as muck' - but that's what you get for a huge branded luxury good. I can understand some aspects of pricing, but as with most things, buy smart to minimise any losses.

At an GTG, I'd be more interested in the WIS wearing a Frogman or MR-G than a Sub (even vintage is about ego for some nowadays). I'm lucky to have a very diverse collection and as my tastes evolve, I'm now into interesting designs, movements and rarer watches. The Ming watch above highlights all 3!

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #13,247 of 14,275
All this Rolex talk, for several pages now.
Please don't take this as an inconsiderate post, but... what is the appeal to you personally for the love of Rolex?

My rant:
My perspective is that they were quite innovative up until the early 70's, and after that, they began a significant marketing scheme that paid off greatly. These last few years, they have gone above and beyond by playing up their name through that long-running marketing ploy to make people who don't know much about watches to believe that Rolex is the apex. With limited reservations and sales, that has only added to the "hype", but where's the mojo to back up all that hype?
Meanwhile, their movements are not particularly spectacular, and their designs are well-copied (and created/imitated by other brands that now do it better), but they really don't have a need to do anything imaginative.
The Submariner at release was amazing. So, too, was the unverifiable guarantee of the Rolex Sea-Dweller... funny in a way, because of how ridiculous the impossibility is of verifying its promises with depth resistance. Again, a GREAT marketing ploy. Since then, what innovations have come from Rolex, either in physical design, or in the movement itself that has outshined its competition?
Rolex makes amazing watches, when compared to other watches in the sub-$2000 range. However, how much advantage is there based on price for their brand compared to almost any other watch at the same price range?
Personally, I am not intrigued by Rolex not ONLY because of the snooty and snotty people I know that have a Rolex and think they're "elite"... it also is a question of how it is a better watch at any price they sell it for, compared to other competitors.
Yes, Rolex is a well-known name. There is a really high resale value (but I buy watches for myself, and don't care about resale value). For an investment, I don't get why a watch would be a smart investment versus other things in this world. You'd have to not wear it to keep it mint and more sellable anyway. I like to wear my watches, and take as much care to them as possible. But, wear and tear will degrade its value regardless. Thus... the "resale value" issue becomes a non-issue for me. I simply don't care. In terms of originality of design, I have no clue why anyone thinks Rolex has an upper hand in any way in that area, because they haven't done anything particularly innovative with their design in 30+ years. But then, there's also the movement, or the way they polish/design the metal choice they use... but that's been the same for a long time as well. They don't have open-back cases because even Rolex admits that their movements aren't particularly attractive... which ALSO means that Rolex doesn't need to spend the time and effort to make these components look nice.
Thus, Rolex, to me, has the upper hand ONLY in name brand and showing off to others that you are "elite". But for me, I love watches due to all the more technical and stylistic elements that are put into its creation. I always look at a Rolex and wonder what they have done to push the field of horology further in the last few decades.
This all seems like I am bashing Rolex lovers. I'm not really doing that, because if you're a watch lover and can talk about watches, then I'm fine with someone appreciating what Rolex has to offer. I only get annoyed when people like to post on social media with a his/hers Rolex double shot and say, "Couples night out" as if that is supposed to impress. But this is the WORST of what Rolex has to offer. Or, for example, I have a limited edition watch that is more impressive my boss' Rolex, but he doesn't know what's on my wrist. He has it as a status symbol, and I almost want to laugh at how much he doesn't realize I have something special on my wrist, yet he doesn't even look at it or regard is as anything more than a simple Casio due to not being a watch lover. This doesn't upset me. It just makes me understand something about HIM. I learn immediately that he is concerned about image and having elite status, so he has a Rolex. If he doesn't notice what's on MY wrist, then I know that he is materialistic and wants to show status, but does not have an answer to the reasoning behind ownership of that watch.
This is why I make this long post... I want to hear why other people on this thread love Rolex so much. I want to understand it from the perspective of people who may actually know more about watches than those that fall into the Hype Train.

That's the primary reason I ask the question at the beginning of the post.
Can you provide examples of innovative watches? Has there been any rwal innovation for mechanical movements? I would consider digital watches an innovation due to precision.

I find Rolex style has been imitated too much that the look became generic.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #13,248 of 14,275
Can you provide examples of innovative watches? Has there been any rwal innovation for mechanical movements? I would consider digital watches an innovation due to precision.

I find Rolex style has been imitated too much that the look became generic.

Or you might say, "classic," "iconic," "seminal," or "trendsetting," it really depends upon perspective. While I'm sure plenty of 'homage' watches are out to sell inexpensive look-alikes of THE status symbol watch, the fact is the styling of many Rolex watches is just widely appealing on its own merits.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #13,249 of 14,275
Or you might say, "classic," "iconic," "seminal," or "trendsetting," it really depends upon perspective. While I'm sure plenty of 'homage' watches are out to sell inexpensive look-alikes of THE status symbol watch, the fact is the styling of many Rolex watches is just widely appealing on its own merits.

Agreed. The Rolex status symbol is one thing; the reputation, brand value and curb appeal to the mainstream. But the watches often have a classic, simplistic styling that has a beauty and widespread appeal.

When I consider my next watch, I've realized I'm naturally drawn to watches with similar style as the classic, basic Rolex OP. Its a good design. Its fairly understated, in actuality. Not too blingy or boisterous at all. Having a Rolex on your wrist might be socially loud, but it certainly isn't visually loud.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #13,250 of 14,275
Agreed. The Rolex status symbol is one thing; the reputation, brand value and curb appeal to the mainstream. But the watches often have a classic, simplistic styling that has a beauty and widespread appeal.

When I consider my next watch, I've realized I'm naturally drawn to watches with similar style as the classic, basic Rolex OP. Its a good design. Its fairly understated, in actuality. Not too blingy or boisterous at all. Having a Rolex on your wrist might be socially loud, but it certainly isn't visually loud.

That is the perfect way to put it! It's really only the name that's flashy, the watch itself is tasteful, classically styled, and faultlessly made.

Every time I see a Rolex, I think about the fact that Rolex is one of the surprisingly few companies to survive the 70's Seiko/digital watch revolution. I mean, just look up all the companies that got subsequently gobbled up by Swatch. Or look up the history of their innovations (or more properly, the innovations that they popularized). As a company, Rolex has definitely earned its laurels. Even though it is, admittedly, annoying to see people wearing them who have no idea of the engineering behind the piece. It often seems like there is the Rolex that watch people know and love and the Rolex that non-watch people know.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #13,252 of 14,275
My Aqua Terra on a Barton silicone strap :)

IMG_5953.JPG

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #13,253 of 14,275
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #13,255 of 14,275
While waiting for my Tissot PRS 200 Silver Dial watch to arrive (it's taking a while), I was scouring the local forums for some nice deals when I came across a listing for a Tissot PRC 200 Autoquartz, I was frankly quite surprised to see a watch that's both an automatic and quartz watch. I fell in love with the idea and snagged it, I sent it for polishing (along with one of well worn watch) and I just got it back today, looking like new!
R32SJXY.jpg

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #13,257 of 14,275
Slightly off-topic but also entirely relevant...does anybody have advice regarding the best place to sell watches? Is there a trustworthy Head-Fi or US Audio Mart of the watch world?

I want to sell one but I certainly prefer avoiding Ebay. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
There’s Chrono24, certainly a safe option.
Good luck!

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #13,258 of 14,275
There’s Chrono24, certainly a safe option.
Good luck!

Thanks! Already sold it haha. At the recommendation of a gentleman on this thread, I went with Reddit Watch Exchange and it was sold within 2 days.

But for the next go around, Chrono24 looks like a solid option.

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #13,259 of 14,275
Thanks! Already sold it haha. At the recommendation of a gentleman on this thread, I went with Reddit Watch Exchange and it was sold within 2 days.

But for the next go around, Chrono24 looks like a solid option.
So where's my commision hahahaha!

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #13,260 of 14,275

Users who are viewing this thread

Back