Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 24, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #13,231 of 14,276
A watch for every occasion...

Resized_20200824_182831.jpeg

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #13,233 of 14,276
I had no idea there was a watch thread!

Ok something a bit different for my first entry here....

CA1BE9C2-9734-4858-B430-25B5598128D0.jpeg

Wow, I really like the look of this! Very unique, ghost-like appearance.

Wanted to post my beauty while I still have a chance to. It's currently listed for sale 😅

20200824_193211.jpg

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #13,234 of 14,276
Wow, I really like the look of this! Very unique, ghost-like appearance.

Wanted to post my beauty while I still have a chance to. It's currently listed for sale 😅

20200824_193211.jpg

Yep, one of my favourite watches, definitely worth checking out - www.ming.watch

I lean more towards independents nowadays, but alas my bank account can't quite bear the burden unless I sell stuff!

What are you replacing the OP with?

Aug 25, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #13,235 of 14,276
Yep, one of my favourite watches, definitely worth checking out - www.ming.watch

I lean more towards independents nowadays, but alas my bank account can't quite bear the burden unless I sell stuff!

What are you replacing the OP with?

Very nice watches! I appreciate their design and the boutique flair.

I'm mostly interested in purchasing another Rolex, I think. My OP Blue Dial is 36mm; just too small for my wrist. When I originally purchased it, I like how understated it was. But a year later....wishing I did 42mm.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #13,236 of 14,276
Very nice watches! I appreciate their design and the boutique flair.

I'm mostly interested in purchasing another Rolex, I think. My OP Blue Dial is 36mm; just too small for my wrist. When I originally purchased it, I like how understated it was. But a year later....wishing I did 42mm.

I hear you, 36mm is a tad too small. Issue with Rolex is the damned scarcity/difficulty in buying, which personally I don't think is worth the hassle. Thankfully Rolex don't really do it for me - though I am also fortunate to have a Daytona which I picked up a few years ago before the hype!

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #13,237 of 14,276
I hear you, 36mm is a tad too small. Issue with Rolex is the damned scarcity/difficulty in buying, which personally I don't think is worth the hassle. Thankfully Rolex don't really do it for me - though I am also fortunate to have a Daytona which I picked up a few years ago before the hype!

Definitely hold on to that Daytona!

Absolutely agree; the Rolex hype is a little much. There is a benefit of that, which is value retention. Otherwise, a good bit of hassle. I don't understand how they don't make a straight Oyster Perpetual above 39mm. Makes no sense to me.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #13,238 of 14,276
Definitely hold on to that Daytona!

Absolutely agree; the Rolex hype is a little much. There is a benefit of that, which is value retention. Otherwise, a good bit of hassle. I don't understand how they don't make a straight Oyster Perpetual above 39mm. Makes no sense to me.

Ah the good old days when the discontinued model could be had for under retail.....

I agree - your OP in 39mm would be near on perfect. But Rolex acts in mysterious ways (I'm guessing they want to separate from Explorer and the Professional range). Probably the one I'd go for is the Explorer II - actual modern size and the maxi plots actually fit that model best. Good luck with the hunt!

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #13,240 of 14,276
Apparently Rolex are announcing some new pieces to their range on 1st September

Refresh of the Submariner range expected. It's been a while since Rolex have done something genuinely interesting - probably the SkyDweller was the last time. Let's see.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #13,241 of 14,276
All this Rolex talk, for several pages now.
Please don't take this as an inconsiderate post, but... what is the appeal to you personally for the love of Rolex?

My rant:
My perspective is that they were quite innovative up until the early 70's, and after that, they began a significant marketing scheme that paid off greatly. These last few years, they have gone above and beyond by playing up their name through that long-running marketing ploy to make people who don't know much about watches to believe that Rolex is the apex. With limited reservations and sales, that has only added to the "hype", but where's the mojo to back up all that hype?
Meanwhile, their movements are not particularly spectacular, and their designs are well-copied (and created/imitated by other brands that now do it better), but they really don't have a need to do anything imaginative.
The Submariner at release was amazing. So, too, was the unverifiable guarantee of the Rolex Sea-Dweller... funny in a way, because of how ridiculous the impossibility is of verifying its promises with depth resistance. Again, a GREAT marketing ploy. Since then, what innovations have come from Rolex, either in physical design, or in the movement itself that has outshined its competition?
Rolex makes amazing watches, when compared to other watches in the sub-$2000 range. However, how much advantage is there based on price for their brand compared to almost any other watch at the same price range?
Personally, I am not intrigued by Rolex not ONLY because of the snooty and snotty people I know that have a Rolex and think they're "elite"... it also is a question of how it is a better watch at any price they sell it for, compared to other competitors.
Yes, Rolex is a well-known name. There is a really high resale value (but I buy watches for myself, and don't care about resale value). For an investment, I don't get why a watch would be a smart investment versus other things in this world. You'd have to not wear it to keep it mint and more sellable anyway. I like to wear my watches, and take as much care to them as possible. But, wear and tear will degrade its value regardless. Thus... the "resale value" issue becomes a non-issue for me. I simply don't care. In terms of originality of design, I have no clue why anyone thinks Rolex has an upper hand in any way in that area, because they haven't done anything particularly innovative with their design in 30+ years. But then, there's also the movement, or the way they polish/design the metal choice they use... but that's been the same for a long time as well. They don't have open-back cases because even Rolex admits that their movements aren't particularly attractive... which ALSO means that Rolex doesn't need to spend the time and effort to make these components look nice.
Thus, Rolex, to me, has the upper hand ONLY in name brand and showing off to others that you are "elite". But for me, I love watches due to all the more technical and stylistic elements that are put into its creation. I always look at a Rolex and wonder what they have done to push the field of horology further in the last few decades.
This all seems like I am bashing Rolex lovers. I'm not really doing that, because if you're a watch lover and can talk about watches, then I'm fine with someone appreciating what Rolex has to offer. I only get annoyed when people like to post on social media with a his/hers Rolex double shot and say, "Couples night out" as if that is supposed to impress. But this is the WORST of what Rolex has to offer. Or, for example, I have a limited edition watch that is more impressive my boss' Rolex, but he doesn't know what's on my wrist. He has it as a status symbol, and I almost want to laugh at how much he doesn't realize I have something special on my wrist, yet he doesn't even look at it or regard is as anything more than a simple Casio due to not being a watch lover. This doesn't upset me. It just makes me understand something about HIM. I learn immediately that he is concerned about image and having elite status, so he has a Rolex. If he doesn't notice what's on MY wrist, then I know that he is materialistic and wants to show status, but does not have an answer to the reasoning behind ownership of that watch.
This is why I make this long post... I want to hear why other people on this thread love Rolex so much. I want to understand it from the perspective of people who may actually know more about watches than those that fall into the Hype Train.

That's the primary reason I ask the question at the beginning of the post.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #13,242 of 14,276
Please don't take this as an inconsiderate post, but... what is the appeal to you personally for the love of Rolex?

My rant:
My perspective is that they were quite innovative up until the early 70's, and after that, they began a significant marketing scheme that paid off greatly. These last few years, they have gone above and beyond by playing up their name through that long-running marketing ploy to make people who don't know much about watches to believe that Rolex is the apex. With limited reservations and sales, that has only added to the "hype", but where's the mojo to back up all that hype?
Meanwhile, their movements are not particularly spectacular, and their designs are well-copied (and created/imitated by other brands that now do it better), but they really don't have a need to do anything imaginative.
The Submariner at release was amazing. So, too, was the unverifiable guarantee of the Rolex Sea-Dweller... funny in a way, because of how ridiculous the impossibility is of verifying its promises with depth resistance. Again, a GREAT marketing ploy. Since then, what innovations have come from Rolex, either in physical design, or in the movement itself that has outshined its competition?
Rolex makes amazing watches, when compared to other watches in the sub-$2000 range. However, how much advantage is there based on price for their brand compared to almost any other watch at the same price range?
Personally, I am not intrigued by Rolex not ONLY because of the snooty and snotty people I know that have a Rolex and think they're "elite"... it also is a question of how it is a better watch at any price they sell it for, compared to other competitors.
Yes, Rolex is a well-known name. There is a really high resale value (but I buy watches for myself, and don't care about resale value). For an investment, I don't get why a watch would be a smart investment versus other things in this world. You'd have to not wear it to keep it mint and more sellable anyway. I like to wear my watches, and take as much care to them as possible. But, wear and tear will degrade its value regardless. Thus... the "resale value" issue becomes a non-issue for me. I simply don't care. In terms of originality of design, I have no clue why anyone thinks Rolex has an upper hand in any way in that area, because they haven't done anything particularly innovative with their design in 30+ years. But then, there's also the movement, or the way they polish/design the metal choice they use... but that's been the same for a long time as well. They don't have open-back cases because even Rolex admits that their movements aren't particularly attractive... which ALSO means that Rolex doesn't need to spend the time and effort to make these components look nice.
Thus, Rolex, to me, has the upper hand ONLY in name brand and showing off to others that you are "elite". But for me, I love watches due to all the more technical and stylistic elements that are put into its creation. I always look at a Rolex and wonder what they have done to push the field of horology further in the last few decades.
This all seems like I am bashing Rolex lovers. I'm not really doing that, because if you're a watch lover and can talk about watches, then I'm fine with someone appreciating what Rolex has to offer. I only get annoyed when people like to post on social media with a his/hers Rolex double shot and say, "Couples night out" as if that is supposed to impress. But this is the WORST of what Rolex has to offer. Or, for example, I have a limited edition watch that is more impressive my boss' Rolex, but he doesn't know what's on my wrist. He has it as a status symbol, and I almost want to laugh at how much he doesn't realize I have something special on my wrist, yet he doesn't even look at it or regard is as anything more than a simple Casio due to not being a watch lover. This doesn't upset me. It just makes me understand something about HIM. I learn immediately that he is concerned about image and having elite status, so he has a Rolex. If he doesn't notice what's on MY wrist, then I know that he is materialistic and wants to show status, but does not have an answer to the reasoning behind ownership of that watch.
This is why I make this long post... I want to hear why other people on this thread love Rolex so much. I want to understand it from the perspective of people who may actually know more about watches than those that fall into the Hype Train.

I think the answer really is all in the name. The retention of value was a primary driving force behind my purchase of one. And I'd happy it was....because I already had to offload it haha. Any other watch I would probably be taking a bath on it. With my sale of the OP 36, I only took a modest loss on it.

The other aspect is the reputation and warranty. Strong warranty with potential to get up to 10 years through many ADs. The reputational value of having a Rolex on your wrist in social settings. Sure, the watch isn't very innovative any more, but it is still well-made, quite simplisticly attractive, and immediately eye-catching to third parties.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #13,243 of 14,276

My rant:
The Submariner at release was amazing. So, too, was the unverifiable guarantee of the Rolex Sea-Dweller... funny in a way, because of how ridiculous the impossibility is of verifying its promises with depth resistance. Again, a GREAT marketing ploy.
Thus, Rolex, to me, has the upper hand ONLY in name brand and showing off to others that you are "elite". But for me, I love watches due to all the more technical and stylistic elements that are put into its creations. I always look at a Rolex and wonder what they have done to push the field horology further in the last few decades.
This all seems like I am bashing Rolex lovers. I'm not really doing that, because if you're a watch lover and can talk about watches, then I'm fine with someone appreciating what Rolex has to offer. I only get annoyed when people like to post on social media with a his/hers Rolex double shot and say, "Couples night out" as if that is supposed to impress. But this is the WORST of what Rolex has to offer. This is why I make this long post... I want to hear why other people on this thread love Rolex so much. I want to understand it from the perspective of people who may actually know more about watches than those that fall into the Hype Train.

I own 3 Rolex's (down from 5) because I feel some of their models are simply beautiful and I don't feel I'm "elite" in any way, shape or form. It's best you don't stereotype, although there are shallow people who do feel this way, unfortunately. Nothing material can ever make you bette, and thinking this way is simply not a good mind set to have. You buy what suits your tastes and enjoy no matter what it is or its cost.
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #13,244 of 14,276
Darth Tuna
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #13,245 of 14,276
Rolex are definitely nice watches and I can see the appeal, but the artificial scarcity and pricing turns me off a bit. You can get equally good, or better, watches from Tudor, Omega or Grand Seiko for quite a bit cheaper than Rolex.

And when you get to jacked up Rolex prices of second hand market, you can get an AP, VC, PP or ALS for similar amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back