Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Apr 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #6,901 of 14,276
Seiko Ananta GMT looks nice but $5000 is another story.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #6,902 of 14,276
Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I was hoping you guys could help me out a bit here. I'm graduating (High School) in June, and it has been hinted to me that my parents would be willing to get me some kind of watch as a graduation present. I've done a bit of looking and I fell in love with this Hamilton:

I think it looks awesome and the "open-heart" design is what I like the most. However, to seal the deal, it would also be really cool if a watch looked like this, but also had a date feature. Now, I've looked, but I haven't really been able to find something that fit that. Cut away dial with a date display as well. Help? 
redface.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #6,903 of 14,276
You know, I had a look and I am blowed if I can find any open heart watches like this with a date feature. I thought Baume Mercier but they do not either. I love Hamiltons, nice reliable movements and that one is a beauty. Are you set on a date feature? In this modern world the date can be seen easily and in all the years of owning watches though it is nice to have the feature I can't truly say I have used it much.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #6,904 of 14,276
No, I'm not dead set on having a date, I just thought it would be nice to have. I suppose part of what I like in the watch is the relatively clean face as well, which may or may not be ruined with a date. Anyway, thanks for looking around, I did too and it boggled my mind that I couldn't find one. I'll probably go with this one then. Can't. Stop. Looking. At. It. 
L3000.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6,905 of 14,276
Guys, im a noob when it comes to watches. Whats a good brand to consider? it must have a reasonable price. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #6,906 of 14,276
What do you call a reasonable price? what size of watch and what style attracts you most? Do you want mechanical or quartz. If you want a reliable, good timekeeping simple watch nothing beats a Timex and I am not joking they are really good everyday practical watches, most have a ten year battery life and most will last a lifetime with normal use. All that for around $40-$70 for one of their easy reader watches. But we need more information from you to give you a better idea!

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #6,907 of 14,276
Quote:
Guys, im a noob when it comes to watches. Whats a good brand to consider? it must have a reasonable price. 

Quote:
What do you call a reasonable price? what size of watch and what style attracts you most? Do you want mechanical or quartz. If you want a reliable, good timekeeping simple watch nothing beats a Timex and I am not joking they are really good everyday practical watches, most have a ten year battery life and most will last a lifetime with normal use. All that for around $40-$70 for one of their easy reader watches. But we need more information from you to give you a better idea!

I agree, a Timex will serve you just as well as any multi-thousand dollar quartz watch as you're paying for the name. In fact in the 70s quartz movements killed off a number of swiss companies and forced the rest of them to change, today we see these same companies producing quartz movements for a lot less than there mechanical counterparts. For accuracy go for a quartz, for quality, class and resale value go with a mechanical.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #6,908 of 14,276
Or multi thousand dollar mechanical as Timex do a rather nice mechanical watch as well! Truth be told formula1 anything more than a hundrd bucks and your not really getting anything other than perhaps a better finish and a posher name. My timex easy reader is as reliable as my Breitling, Rolex and Cartier. Not many people will admit that who own watches like that but that really is the truth of the matter, anything over a hundred bucks is simply man jewlery. sure there are complications,,, turbillions that are meant to make a mechanical watch more accurate but a 50 buck quartz timex will beat it into a cocked hat in terms of accuracy and the ability to knock it about without fear of breaking it!

Also, apart from nicer finishing that 20k patek calatrava is just an automatic watch that will keep the same time and reliablity of a 500 buck Tissot automatic.

the myth that mechanical watches are better engineered or have more soul is really just uttter nonsense when it comes down to it. it is a machine for heavens sake and pretty much all mechanical watches up to 10k are just ordianry mechanical movements that would cost you a hundred bucks on ebay to buy. The only difference between that standard ETA movement and one with Breitling or Cartier or Omega written on it is, on the whole the lettering on the rotor!

but all of that misses the point. If a watch is a non emotional thing for you by a timex, if it is about emotion and something pretty on your wrist then spend a fortune like the rest of us mugs and get a Swiss or high end japanese watch. It won't keep any better time, it will lose you a lot of money if you decide to sell it and it willl cost you upwards of a thousand bucks every 5 years to service.. That is the rational perspective, one which you would get from boring people like accountants or scientists.

if none of that matters to you though, if you like to think outside the box a bit, if money does not rule your life and if passion is important then do what a lot of us do and throw caution to the wind and get a nice watch, and if you want to really stick one finger up to the establishment then get a high end quartz as that is the one that is the hardest to rationalize and the one that confounds and confuses most people as to why someone would want to spend that amount on a mere, souless quartz :)

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #6,909 of 14,276
Hey guys, how are you all?

Just been scouting through the forums on this website and found this. I have just had my first custom made watch built for me and though that i would share some pics to all the watch lovers out there.

I could not be happier with the outcome.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #6,912 of 14,276
Hehe, after seeing the watch here (sorry, forgot who it was that posted theirs) I had to get one myself.  Not the best picture/lighting, but I was just soooo exciting.  It is now sitting in my watch winder and watching it does its thing makes me so happy.

Love the dial and the blue stitching.  Very handsome watch.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #6,914 of 14,276
New watch this week...

Submariner C

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6,915 of 14,276

Quote:
New watch this week...

Submariner C

Nice! That' the new model with the ceramic bezel right? I like that and the new clasp mechanism better than the previous model. Mine is 8 years old and still loving it. A true timeless piece.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back