Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,871 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, no question of the quality in the GS movements or in a Spring Drive based watch. No matter what, there's no real way you can go wrong with any Seiko movement... for one company to produce so many absolutely rock-solid movements is absolutely unheard of. I get the genuine feeling that Omega's little 33xx series of issues could never happen at Seiko... and certainly wouldn't because everything is in-house at Seiko.

I think I'm more musing or waxing on my personal perception of the brand in both the USA and in Japan. I genuinely feel that Seiko doesn't understand the US market and is producing watches here that are both ugly and oversized, as opposed to the JDM watches that are elegant or functional, and often a combination of both. My understanding of this new line is that the cases are quite large. Like many others, I feel that large cases are a fad, and that Seiko would be better suited in the classic designs that they've absolutely perfected in their JDM products.

Absolutely, I understand that this new line is destined for both sides of the Pacific... but I don't believe that they fit in with their Japanese offerings. Leaning back on Samurai sword design elements feels cheap in comparison to the simple elegance of a watch like this:

s_sbgw001b.jpg

Or their modern interpretations of the Chronograph with new Spring Drive models like this (though it is large):

s_sbgc001b.jpg

But, then again I could be totally wrong about all of this. Omega, my favorite watch company, is also going in a direction that I don't feel as if I could follow in as a consumer (even if I had the money). The dressing up of tool watches with extra chrome and movement changes that are less robust and more about an almost jewelery achievement doesn't work for me.

Ahh, I think I understand what you're saying. I agree, that the recent trend towards the "large" watch, is, as you say, a trend. Not to sound like a fanboy, but I think Seiko, understanding something about trends, is trying to stay alive in the market, while at the same time, trying to shape things to come, by hammering on an awareness of exactitude and precision, and creating those issues to be true market drivers. So Seiko's entire tradition and company values are shaped by their dedication to these values. Seems like they are trying to not only convey that to the watch buying public, but also trying to shape the values of the consumer to likewise value those things. Most of us who have been around Head-Fi for any length of time, already have those values instilled deep within us. To many of us here this "new" awareness is like; "well, duh!" Of course!

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #3,872 of 14,276
Wow, these pics and posts about the Seiko Ananta Line had me go and look for more info about them....I think they're slowly pushing the Omega's off the top of my 'Want List'. If only I could justify any of them...
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #3,873 of 14,276
This discussion on Seiko is very interesting to me as an owner of several Seiko watches (4 or 5?) ranging in price/quality from a 5 Flieger to a Spirit (and I really want a 1000M auto Tuna Can, and a Brightz Chrono, and a GS Spring Drive GMT. Hello, Santa?).

The issue that I see with Seiko in the US is that they have too wide a range of watches. Even though the GS isn't available here nor, really is the 5, Seiko makes watches that sell for $85 to well into 5 figures. Obviously, there are far more $300 Seikos in the US than anything else and that's where Seiko is stuck. In my view, there's a public perception that Seiko makes a very good "low" price luxury watch.

If you don't really know anything about watches, are you going to spend your $6K on a GS Spring Drive GMT from a company that also sells $300 watches at Macy's, or a Rolex GMT Master? Even though, I already own a Rolex (Explorer I) and appreciate the high level Seikos as a WIS, I might go for the GMT Master first, too. I know that I have a much better chance of getting my money back if I resell and I won't have to take the time to explain to people that I really paid $6K for a Seiko (not that it happens very often but occasionally my good friends who know me and my watch collection ask what I spent on a particular watch). The VAST majority of the watch buying public, even those who are willing to spend a good bit of money on a watch, don't know anything about what they're buying. It's the same as the headphone world: look at how many people buy iBuds on Craig's List so they can look like they have an iPod or those who have iPods who continue to use the iBuds.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #3,874 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This discussion on Seiko is very interesting to me as an owner of several Seiko watches (4 or 5?) ranging in price/quality from a 5 Flieger to a Spirit (and I really want a 1000M auto Tuna Can, and a Brightz Chrono, and a GS Spring Drive GMT. Hello, Santa?).

The issue that I see with Seiko in the US is that they have too wide a range of watches. Even though the GS isn't available here nor, really is the 5, Seiko makes watches that sell for $85 to well into 5 figures. Obviously, there are far more $300 Seikos in the US than anything else and that's where Seiko is stuck. In my view, there's a public perception that Seiko makes a very good "low" price luxury watch.

If you don't really know anything about watches, are you going to spend your $6K on a GS Spring Drive GMT, from a company that also sells $300 watches at Macy's, or a Rolex GMT Master? Even though, I already own a Rolex (Explorer I) and appreciate the high level Seikos as a WIS, I might go for the GMT Master first, too. I know that I have a much better chance of getting my money back if I resell and I won't have to take the time to explain to people that I really paid $6K for a Seiko (not that it happens very often but occasionally people my good friends who know me and my watch collection ask what I spent on a particular watch).

You are 100% correct, that is the crux of their dilemma.
They are so successful in that arena, outside of Japan, it is difficult to break people out of their mental rut.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3,875 of 14,276
Here are a couple more pictures;

SRQ005J1-small.jpg
SRQ003J1-small.jpg
SPB015J1-small.jpg
SPB013J1-small.jpg

SPB019J1-small.jpg
SPB017J1-small.jpg
SPS007J1-small.jpg
SPS009J1-small.jpg

SNR021J1-small.jpg
SNR019J1-small.jpg
snr013.jpg
SNR015-BIG.jpg

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #3,876 of 14,276
Being a long standing Seiko fan, I don't really like the look of any of those watches posted by Kevin.

I do, however, like this one, a lot:

s_sbgw001b.jpg

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #3,877 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a long standing Seiko fan, I don't really like the look of any of those watches posted by Kevin.

I keep waiting for somebody to post pics of one of their Marinemasters.
beerchug.gif

As said, that's my problem with Seikos as well. It's hard to spend any serious $$$ when you can't really tell the difference between the $200 diver and the $2k diver.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #3,878 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

As said, that's my problem with Seikos as well. It's hard to spend any serious $$$ when you can't really tell the difference between the $200 diver and the $2k diver.

You really need to see them in person.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #3,879 of 14,276
Quote:

beerchug.gif

There's really a vast difference between the $300 US models and the $500 Spirit and Prospex line. Really, really nice watches for the money, better than anything under $1k.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3,880 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really need to see them in person.

As with most potential mates without makeup!
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #3,881 of 14,276
Quote:

There's really a vast difference between the $300 US models and the $500 Spirit and Prospex line. Really, really nice watches for the money, better than anything under $1k.

Now Mercuttio...if EVER there were a subjective statement made here, that would be it.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #3,882 of 14,276
Quote:

Now Mercuttio...if EVER there were a subjective statement made here, that would be it.
ksc75smile.gif

It's Head-Fi, goddammit! THAT'S WHAT WE DO HERE!

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #3,883 of 14,276
Quote:

It's Head-Fi, goddammit! THAT'S WHAT WE DO HERE!

Wait, wait, wait, we need a DBT test here.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #3,885 of 14,276
Quote:

The problem that I have with the Spirit line is that they are just a tiny bit undersized for us Americans. I'm not saying that I want a Panerai sized Spirit but something right around 40-42 mm vs. the 38 that they are. I bought mine from Seiya and I had to replace the strap as soon as I got the watch because it was too short for my 7-3/8" wrist.

BTW, I'll put my March 2004 contract SAR w/ bracelet that I bought for $500 up against a Spirit any day. Depending on the value of the US$ at the moment, I could put a Stowa up against them as well (I don't own one but I will be buying a Marine Original when, hopefully, the dollar recovers a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back