Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #3,826 of 14,276
I had an issue with my M1, albeit with an aftermarket strap, it was super hard to get on like you are saying, but eventually I did get it to pop into the hole.

I know I've been quick to jump the gun on issues before, but those were actually warranted issues. I think you should just take a breather and have another try at it later on. Chris runs a good company, they aren't trying some "operation" to trick you as you said, its simply either an issue with the watch or with you putting it on. That simple.

As for the strap, obviously its not going to be the same caliber as on a watch 3x its price. You can't expect them to invest almost as much on the strap as they did on the watch, that just wouldn't make any sense at all.

It sounds like you wanted the speed master all along lol, why didn't you go that route in the first place?(imo thats the best option out of all of them
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Regarding the coating, I hate to keep saying this but, you should have read the reviews/pictures better if you were unsure of how bright the lume would be with it. I didn't get that coating for the same reason, I enjoy the brightness of the lume, that and that coating tends to smudge SUPER easy.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3,827 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]warning RANT ON!
Aaron, i snapped a few pics of this thing on my wrist but honestly right now i don't want to give this company any more credit more then what i see in this product!

Called up and talked to Chris about the defective watch they sent, he said i have to align the spring bar with the lug hole by getting a tiny screw driver or tweezers and pulling it towards me or the case with a bit of force, in other words forcing the spring bar in the hole. he said the people at the company designed it this way..to be "snug" as he calls it. he also made the gracious offer of me sending my watch to them and he will be more then happy to fit the bracelet on. my question is what if i want to put the leather or rubber strap on later?...hmmmmm

ok so they designed the watch and the bracelet for the spring bar not be able to snap in the hole only on one lug hole? excuse me?...really? this is what i paid $516 for?

ok let's say Chris knows what he is talking about..hell i got time so lets have another go at it. lets see if the spring bars fit with out the bracelet? yelp they fit perfect. ok lets reverse the bracelet position so its mounted on the watch upside down (clasp facing your pinkie) and see if that works? nope same lug hole giving me a problem.

ok lets use a bit of pulling with a tiny screw driver and tweezers to see if Chris really knows his ****, mind you i Never imagined a watch company telling me to use force on a watch, you think with the idea of how the movement works that every part should fit perfect and not have to be forced in place right?...

tried my tiny tweezers with a flashlight and snap goes the tweezers but no spring bar in hole. i can get the spring bar lined up with the hole perfect but no matter how much i try to get it to snap in place it just won't! i tried both spring bars and it's only this one lug hole that won't allow them to go in with the bracelet mounted.

now i am thinking i am nuts so i call my friend who used to work for a well known watch dealer in Chicago and ask him to look at this. few hours later we meet up and he tries but says that something is wrong with hole position or bracelet.

so the watch is going back tomorrow. i will tell them if they can get the bracelet set correctly then just refund me the money and cancel my order for the upcoming m7 watch and extra bracelet i ordered cause if this watch is what they consider correct and working properly then i want nothing to do with them! i have put on and taken off my Breitling bracelets at least 50 times this year, i also have sized other peoples watches and taken off and put their bracelets on with ZERO issues. my friend has probably done tens of thousands of bracelet changes and never has seen this before.
really a spring bar is pretty simple to use correctly..it don't take a genius to figure how to work with one.

if they deem something wrong then they i request a new watch with an entire new serial number, or refund and i cancel my upcoming orders..

i don't know what kind of operation those boys out in Ohio are trying for, considering the product i received and the customer service advice to fix the problem reminds me why i DO pay for a time piece that costs six or ten times more.

DEEP BREATH>>>>>rant mode off.

impressions..
while i was not playing the "force the pin in the donkey game" today i was giving the watch some wear time. i mounted the leather strap with my RHD deployment. you can see where the company was able to sell the watch at the price they do, the bracelet uses push pins to conjoin the links, the top and bottom of each link is colored brown and not full black like the inside and outside of the link. the spring bar's used on the leather strap have a little lever on them like my $100 Invicta does. the Leather strap is thin and very plastically (it ain't no Breitling leather or even an Official time grade leather). the rubber strap looks nice but i did not try it out. the buckles on the leather strap and the rubber strap are different shapes, one its more square while the other is a Panerai style buckle..both very nice! the weight of the case is a bit too light for the size, makes it feel cheap or hallow..then again it also wears great as its not heavy at all. the instructions the watch came with are wrong. the box the watch came with reminds me of what Invicta uses. the dial is just beautiful! this company like to brag about the "MDV" lume they are known for, well on this model watch the crystal is tinted dark so really you don't get a super bright lume, nor do you get a long lasting lume. the lume on this model is as bright as on my Panerai and lasts the same time..mind you the watch DOES HAVE A TINTED DARK crystal so imagine what you would have without that..probably a way brighter and long lasting lume..in other words i am more then happy with the Lume, its that good! in the short time i had this watch i can't test the timing but i can say it's smooth and quiet, no 7750 wobble here!
it's easy to read the dial even in low light, again remember the crystal is tinted..so this is a great thing about the watch. the AR coating picks up dust and smudges way to easily, and i thought my iPhone was bad!

what would i compare this watch too?
honestly..
I would say it's on the same level as maybe a $500 invicta with two extra straps included. i would have to completely disagree with anyone who says this watch should be $1500 (i read this alot on other forums). seriously it's not on the same fit and feel as a $1500 Rado, Ebel, or Oris, let alone a brand a bit higher up like Raymond Weil or Baume Et Mercier. my point is, you are paying a fair price for the watch (with the exception of not being able to mount the FREAKING bracelet..opps that one slipped out). that's nothing bad, its a good piece for the money. and i see this company moving up to better movements in the future and better products.

at $500 i would be more then happy to live with this watch in my collection if things would of worked out different, there really is something about it you just like..even after it pisses you off! see what the company wants to do tomorrow on the bracelet subject, i would also be more then happy to get a refund and canceling my other two orders to put the $1400 into a used speed master.

WOW i feel so much better typing that out! let you know what happens later today...[/size]

Man, bummer about the bracelet on your new watch.

Your commentary about the black out face accomplished via tinted crystal reminded me of one of my favorite watches. I bought an Oris TT3 with blacked out design last year and I just love it. They accomplished the black out design by using a clear A/R sapphire crystal, then all the fittings, numerals, etc on the face of the watch are all done in black, that way the lume can show forth in all it's glory. I don't think I have a picture of mine, but here's a stock pic that does not do justice to the watch, but maybe you can get the idea... you've got to check the watch out in person though.
51VyFiRjDQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #3,828 of 14,276
Billy, woof37, csommers, and Kevin,
Thanks so much for all of your comments. It's clearly obvious that Billy is extremely frustrated and need to blow off some steam, and that is part of the reason that we are here. Friends with common interests letting other friends rant to the point that they feel better, or purged.

I pre-purchased a LUM-Tec because of their history and it was a watch that I was very attracted to. Instead of showing Billy what to do to fix his watch, I feel that Chris should have just had him send it back and remedy the situation.
I am handy with tools, I've been a field engineer for 20 + years, but there are certain things that I'd rather not mess with, like watches, and airplane landing gear. Better leaving that up to the experts.

Even though Chris has answered me twice within minutes of me writting him, I feel that if I was given a July ETA in March, then I should have received some kind of correspondence telling me that there were delays.

I see this as a JH Audio issue, where they recieved far too many orders in a short tme, and had to depend on suppliers and other factors unbeknownst to us.
It seems that Chris is a one man show, who has great vision, but is overwhelmed right now.
Perhaps now, is not a good time to buy a watch from Lum-Tec and maybe a year from now would be a better buying decision.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #3,829 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you happen to know the difference between the PAM0112 and the PAM0000? I think it's the steel used for the case but it's hard to tell from Panerai's website.

I found it! The PAM0000 has a painted dial and the 0112 is a Sandwich dial. I think that there will be an 0176 (also a sandwich dial) or a brushed 0112 somewhere in my future.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #3,831 of 14,276
Spoke with Jason on the phone and he said send it back asap, he wants to look at it. i told him basicly what i type above and he agreed as far as being not happy. so i am sending it back today..

yeah i agree with aaron, i really needed to vent and i needed to talk with people like you in this thread. i didnt want to be overly negative or let my feelings let a wrong impression of the watch out. one thing i like about this thread is you can talk watches without the fan boys get on you (like you would see on a watch forum).

csommers i like to find lower priced stuff and be amazed at it (like an lunchbox amp with hd600's!). i always had an eye for Omega, speaking of which..

Kwkarth how is your Omega Deville hour vision working out? any opinions of the 8500 movement? Omega redid their aqua Terra line in the last month with the twin barrel Co-Axial in house movement installed now! at $4500.00 retail you get a in house made movement, wow!

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #3,832 of 14,276
Quote:

Spoke with Jason on the phone and he said send it back asap, he wants to look at it. i told him basicly what i type above and he agreed as far as being not happy. so i am sending it back today..

yeah i agree with aaron, i really needed to vent and i needed to talk with people like you in this thread. i didnt want to be overly negative or let my feelings let a wrong impression of the watch out. one thing i like about this thread is you can talk watches without the fan boys get on you (like you would see on a watch forum).

csommers i like to find lower priced stuff and be amazed at it (like an lunchbox amp with hd600's!). i always had an eye for Omega, speaking of which..

Kwkarth how is your Omega Deville hour vision working out? any opinions of the 8500 movement? Omega redid their aqua Terra line in the last month with the twin barrel Co-Axial in house movement installed now! at $4500.00 retail you get a in house made movement, wow!

No worries, I understand that feeling as well
beerchug.gif

Hopefully Lum-Tec gets things handled smoothly for you, I'm sure they will.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #3,833 of 14,276
Quote:

The HourVision is running flawlessly although it's not quite as accurate as my SeaMaster Planet Ocean Chrono. Both have co-axial escapements, but of course as you know, the HourVision movement is entirely an in-house design and manufacture, where the SeaMaster uses a highly modified ETA (I forget which one.

The SeaMaster is good for +/- 1 second per day and the HourVision is good to +/- maybe 2 seconds per day worst case, so it's not a huge difference and I'm sure could be regulated out. In any case, I'm totally pleased with it and I would JUMP on that movement for $4500!

If you're interested, you might want to give Bill Bevill a call @ Smith & Bevill Jewlers a call and see what he has. His shop is where I buy the vast majority of my watches. Be careful though, you could (at least I could, and do) spend hours talking to him about watches and William Henry knives because he's truly a collector, lover, and master of the art of watchmaking. When you ask for him, tell them I referred you, so they'll treat the call with some priority.
503-644-1333 - Smith & Bevill Jeweler's. If Bill isn't available, ask for Howard, their master watchmaker. Howard is also cut from the same cloth.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #3,834 of 14,276
Newest addition: Oreint CFA05001B

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1234-1.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269-1.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

Includes a 100m WR, date function, power reserve, world timer, sapphire crystal, single-sided AR, display caseback, and in-house movement. The attention to small details really makes this watch feel like it's worth a lot more: knurled polished bezel, applied markers, applied brand symbol, signed crowns, screw-down crown, solid end-links, great combination of brush and polish finish, layered and textured dial, and one of the smoothest rotors I ever seen on automatic. Great Value for $300.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #3,835 of 14,276
Quote:

No sweat dude...hope it works out for you.
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #3,837 of 14,276
Quote:

one thing i like about this hread is you can talk watches without the fan boys get on you (like you would see on a watch forum).

Unless you mention the "R" word in which case all bets are off
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back