Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #3,333 of 14,295
Here is my one and only watch which I wear for everything everyday.

Swiss Army Officers 1884

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #3,335 of 14,295
Yeah, I have been really happy with it so far. I did have to send it in for a warranty repair a year after I got it, but I hope that was just a one time deal.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3,336 of 14,295
I'm not quite sure I "get" Panerai. I like the design, but the prices are a real turn off in comparison to other watches that I enjoy the design of equally.

Tomorrow I get to try on a few possibilities for my engagement watch... I'm pretty excited about it! We're not engaged quite yet, I'm not completely through saving up for ye-olde-ring.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #3,337 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not quite sure I "get" Panerai. I like the design, but the prices are a real turn off in comparison to other watches that I enjoy the design of equally.

Tomorrow I get to try on a few possibilities for my engagement watch... I'm pretty excited about it! We're not engaged quite yet, I'm not completely through saving up for ye-olde-ring.

I agree that Panerai's pricing is getting a little out of hand now, but due to the recent economy, I get a really good price on Pam90. Talk to the AD, some of them are giving good discount.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #3,338 of 14,295
Quote:

I never could understand the whole "deal" with Panerai myself, even today i really don't get it fully. i mean to me personally the Company has some history but nothing close to what Rolex has done or even Breitling in terms of historic achievements made by the companies themselves. Panerai started making watches for the italian navy but far as i can research they never actually made their own movement until a few years back. also the company itself has been sold and bought twice now.

the Company was never really known till Stallone wore one in a few movies then the demand was set it and Panerai was finally known, again unlike Rolex or Breitling which where known long before. yet when you go to a jeweler or watch shop they say Panerai is higher level then Rolex or Breitling, much higher..how? i never understood it.

that being said after wearing mine for less the a week i have had it now i must say it's a addicting watch once you have it on your wrist. i wear it all over the place even at work, i just love having it on and it seems to fit perfectly if your working or dressing up. my 112 has a really flat back case on it unlike my other pieces which are a bit more rounded, so it lays flat on your wrist. after wearing it for the first few hours i felt my arm was missing something when i took it off to shower. the flat back seems to mesh in with my wrist so it feels like the watch is meant to be on me all the time. another weird thing i noticed is either know the watch is big, ok its huge. the 112 has no real heavy weight and tends to feel more like a smaller dress piece. the feeling you get when wearing one makes you think its like a grown up watch or a man's watch or something, you don't feel tough but you feel mature having it on..i know i am weird. the timing is as spot on as i can tell and the power reserve is crazy long (56 hours i think). if you take a really close look at the watch itself is has nothing on it the looks or feels cheap, in other words it feels like a $5k piece! also the strap changes is just the icing on the cake, you can personalize it everyday to your mood, if your dressing up then put a thinner more dress strap on and the watch fits perfect. if your out in jeans and a t-shirt put a thick strap on and its a sport watch. if your diving or swimming then put the rubber strap on cause the watch can go down 300 meters (which is nuts having a see thru case back).

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #3,339 of 14,295
my current watch...
PAS_2299.jpg

and the door bell rang an hour ago...
PAS_2305.jpg

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #3,340 of 14,295
We went to a couple of stores in NYC and I tried on a number of watches.

I liked IWC watches. I was pleasantly surprised, and they wear quite large I felt.

As Billy stated, Panerai felt like incredibly high quality pieces. I don't think they're quite for me or my style, but they seemed to be very well made.

I was massively dissapointed by all of the Rolexes that I tried on. The GMT IIc was nice and its case was finished well, but many of the others felt so surprisingly cheap. I had been looking at the Explorer II, and man... hollow end links on the bracelet? That and the overall finish on the case felt inferior to my Japanese Domestic Market Seiko. Holding one then the other, I found that my Seiko simply felt better constructed and had better lume. I know that'll ruffle some feathers, but I was totally shocked. I was really ready to love them, and I'd heard for so long how nice they were.

In the end, we liked Omega Speedmasters the best. Their case finishing felt the best thought out, and I've really wanted a Chronograph. The only glitch is that it's going to be harder to engrave the back of the watch later. Really liked the Broad Arrow GMT, too bad the movement isn't as good as just the normal Speedy Pro and its variations. I'll probably end up with one of those.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #3,341 of 14,295
Quote:

I was massively dissapointed by all of the Rolexes that I tried on. The GMT IIc was nice and its case was finished well, but many of the others felt so surprisingly cheap. I had been looking at the Explorer II, and man... hollow end links on the bracelet? That and the overall finish on the case felt inferior to my Japanese Domestic Market Seiko. Holding one then the other, I found that my Seiko simply felt better constructed and had better lume. I know that'll ruffle some feathers, but I was totally shocked. I was really ready to love them, and I'd heard for so long how nice they were.

I agree with you. When I bought my YachtMaster I was actually originally interested in the white-dialed Explorer II but it just feels so cheap and flimsy. The YM feels more solid and definitely feels like you would expect an expensive watch to feel. I am growing to like the Rolex even more than I thought I would because it is so comfortable to wear and doesn't really look out of place anywhere. In fact, I am seriously considering parting with my JLC Hometime because I never wear it after I got the YM.

/U.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #3,342 of 14,295
Quote:

In the end, we liked Omega Speedmasters the best.

beerchug.gif

Good choice! My Speedy Pro gets, by far, the most amount of use of my expensive watches. It dresses up or down very nicely.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #3,343 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you. When I bought my YachtMaster I was actually originally interested in the white-dialed Explorer II but it just feels so cheap and flimsy. The YM feels more solid and definitely feels like you would expect an expensive watch to feel. I am growing to like the Rolex even more than I thought I would because it is so comfortable to wear and doesn't really look out of place anywhere. In fact, I am seriously considering parting with my JLC Hometime because I never wear it after I got the YM.

/U.

What I do not like about Rolex is that their chronograph (and a few of their other watches) is too reminiscent of a dive watch. Why does the Daytona need such a big thick bezel? I do not need the tachymeter to be so prominently visible, it is rarely used in comparison to the chronograph. The Omega Speedmaster Pro and other chronographs like the Navitimer (and Lord knows that Breitling love to cram as much as the can onto a dial) have a much more understated bezel.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3,344 of 14,295
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

Good choice! My Speedy Pro gets, by far, the most amount of use of my expensive watches. It dresses up or down very nicely.

Yeah, I borrowed a hesalite one once for a bit and loved it.

We're thinking sapphire sandwich brown face (since brown is a good color for me, and because it's not common) or that lovely moon phase.

31132423013001.gif

35765000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back