Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 30, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #3,242 of 14,354
By the way guys, do you sometime buy watch without seeing them in person or trying on your wrist first?
If you do, how much is the maximum you want to 'risk' it? eg. as long as it's not more than a grand watch...

May 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #3,243 of 14,354
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way guys, do you sometime buy watch without seeing them in person or trying on your wrist first?
If you do, how much is the maximum you want to 'risk' it? eg. as long as it's not more than a grand watch...

Every single time, so far. The only time I feel you'll have a problem and should potentially try it on first is with a 100% steel watch...ESPECIALLY if you're buying the bracelet as well. I think pretty much every watch wears well, but the weight of it is another matter altogether.

May 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #3,244 of 14,354
My parents bought me a SKX007 (gift of my choosing), which I'd only seen in pictures. I knew the watch was on the large side diameter-wise, so that didn't surprise me, but two things about it aren't so apparent in pictures- the thickness of the case (quite substantial with the bezel sitting on top), and the fact that the sides of the case are polished (top is brushed). This makes the watch a bit more showy in person than it is in pictures. I've never had a watch I didn't like the feel of so I let it surprise me.

May 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #3,245 of 14,354
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My parents bought me a SKX007 (gift of my choosing), which I'd only seen in pictures. I knew the watch was on the large side diameter-wise, so that didn't surprise me, but two things about it aren't so apparent in pictures- the thickness of the case (quite substantial with the bezel sitting on top), and the fact that the sides of the case are polished (top is brushed). This makes the watch a bit more showy in person than it is in pictures. I've never had a watch I didn't like the feel of so I let it surprise me.

VERY nice choice PF. That's my 2nd-favorite Seiko. Sporty and dress-up-y at the same time.

May 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3,246 of 14,354
P1130629.jpg

An oldie but goodie. Had it for 8 years now, as evidenced by the numerous hairline scratches. They add character to watch IMO. A classic and definitely a keeper

May 31, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3,248 of 14,354
Now I am thinking if I am buying a bit more expensive one, maybe it's a good idea to try it on or at least see it in person first because I am not rich so if this is going to be a one-off expensive purchase, I'd better make darn sure that the watch is perfect for me. What do you think?

May 31, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #3,249 of 14,354
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I am thinking if I am buying a bit more expensive one, maybe it's a good idea to try it on or at least see it in person first because I am not rich so if this is going to be a one-off expensive purchase, I'd better make darn sure that the watch is perfect for me. What do you think?

Indeed. Or spend a few hundred on a good replica first to make sure you like it, and if you do than you have a good watch to wear when it might get damaged or stolen.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #3,253 of 14,354
New addition: Breitling Superocean Steelfish

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #3,254 of 14,354
A few weeks ago I traded my Seiko Alpinist (as seen earlier in this thread) for a Seiko Sumo diver. Absolutely a fantastic watch, and it's been keeping +1 / -1 per day.

01.jpg

Great sturdy build, incredible lume at night, and a bracelet that's miraculously comfy.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #3,255 of 14,354
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few weeks ago I traded my Seiko Alpinist (as seen earlier in this thread) for a Seiko Sumo diver.

Good. Now, I can finally admit that I am a complete copycat and bought one as soon as I saw yours!
redface.gif

As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was the watch for me. My Submariner has been on Sabbatical since I've gotten it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back