Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #2,086 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lrrp_banner_640.jpg

It is no doubt obvious, but why do the numbers on the bezel go up in increments of 2?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #2,087 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is no doubt obvious, but why do the numbers on the bezel go up in increments of 2?

For a third time zone using the orange hand, which moves in 24-hour time with one-hour increments. So, rotate the bezel so that the proper time difference between the second time zone (GMT hand) and the third time zone (bezel) is set, and then you can use the watch to figure out 3 time zones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
That's a nice watch. Considering the Rolex it is based on (No. 1655 Orange hand Explorer II from the 70's, aka The Steve McQueen Explorer) sells for over $10K, I'd say ~$1K for that with a Swiss movement is not too bad. Of course, the Rolex's inflated price is due to rarity and popularity. But if you like the look and function, the MKII seems like a nice way to go. I've been going back and forth on placing a pre-order for one of them, but I fear it might remind me of the Rolex too much and make me think about what I can't get, rather than what I have.

I'm not a fan of Rolexes in general, so it doesn't particularly bother me. I just like the really really clean dial on it, and the way it's built. Think of it not as a Rolex homage, but as a good watch on its own standing.
wink.gif

The Milgauss is my favorite Rolex - the only one I'd ever consider buying if I had the cash, actually.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #2,088 of 14,284
Quote:

lrrp_banner_640.jpg

RX1655EXPLORER-01.jpg

It's impossible not to think of it as a Rolex homage (copy). I don't understand why people dislike Rolex. It seems like more than a few of the watches people love around here are based on Rolex designs!

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #2,090 of 14,284
Quote:

I'm not a fan of Rolexes in general, so it doesn't particularly bother me. I just like the really really clean dial on it, and the way it's built. Think of it not as a Rolex homage, but as a good watch on its own standing.
wink.gif

It's funny, I really think the dial is kind of cluttered which is why I don't like it. On the dial, there are two sets of hour markers in addition to minute markers.

Also, it looks like the 24-hr markers on the dial are placed close enough to the edge of the dial that they are under the beveled cut of the crystal. As such, you see them in two different places when looking at the watch from an angle. This can be seen to an extent in the photo. AND! you get a reflection off of the chapter ring. Good idea but just not well executed in this case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Yao's work. I always wanted one of his customized Seiko divers but I couldn't bring myself to put that much cash into a watch that basically costs $130.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #2,091 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RX1655EXPLORER-01.jpg

It's impossible not to think of it as a Rolex homage (copy). I don't understand why people dislike Rolex. It seems like more than a few of the watches people love around here are based on Rolex designs!

Heh. Well, I don't really have much knowledge regarding Rolexes but yes, they really are alike.
smily_headphones1.gif

My current watch is a 6309, and the other semi-broken one is the Hamilton Khaki Frogman... definitely not Rolex homages.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #2,092 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've e-mailed stowa to try to change my order to this one:

1160843498-4472.jpg

Hopefully they'll receive my e-mail on time!

I am going to Germany tomorrow for a few days (yes, work-related!). Even though the Euro vs. Dollar sucks right now, I would not mind looking a little for a good EU/German-made watch, specially something offering a good value-for-the-buck (say around $500 US or so).

I have a really nice Titanium Suunto Observer multi-funciton that I wear daily, but I am interested in a dressy, simple, reliable, accurate, mechanical (no batteries) watch to wear when visiting customers (I am in technical sales). The darker tone of the Titanium Suunto is not too bad, but I would like something also thinner than the Suunto, and perhaps a little smaller as well. The Stowa in your picture above looks "stunning"!, and it is along the lines of what I want.

I know I have a limited budget, and I might consider something more expensive. Any other recommendations to consider?

Will

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #2,093 of 14,284
Gentlemen,

I can't post pics but I've got a good watch story.

Had a client buy me a Breitling Bentley Motors T watch for getting them some huge bucks. I was very flattered and tried to turn the watch down but they got pissed off so I accepted.

9 months later I realized I hated the damn thing. Holy crap my hand was numb by 3pm. Those watches are just too freakin' huge for me and clients were also making comments about my 'bling'. It was embarassing.

So, yesterday, took it back to the point of purchase and picked up a Breitling Montbrilliant Datora. Black face.

Just LOVE it. Absolutely LOVE it!!!

Can't post pics tonight but if you go to Breitling - Instruments for professionals : Swiss chronograph watches, aeronautics partner - BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS TM and check out the '08 Datora, that's mine.

Very proud to own it and can't stop looking at it.

This is my first post here. Outstanding thread.

Tom

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #2,094 of 14,284
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone would know where to buy a replacement band for a 20-odd year old Tag Formula One. My father gave it to me, as he has moved on to a new ESQ and feels the Tag is too young for him, as it is bright yellow. The original strap is a rubber-ish material and is matching yellow. Sorry that I don't have any pictures. it also has 380 513/1 on the back of it. Also, if anyone knows, what do these retail now? Not interested in selling, just curious. Thanks again.

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #2,095 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsubassoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone would know where to buy a replacement band for a 20-odd year old Tag Formula One. My father gave it to me, as he has moved on to a new ESQ and feels the Tag is too young for him, as it is bright yellow. The original strap is a rubber-ish material and is matching yellow. Sorry that I don't have any pictures. it also has 380 513/1 on the back of it. Also, if anyone knows, what do these retail now? Not interested in selling, just curious. Thanks again.

Price, I don't know. Is it an auto or a quartz?

As for the strap... does it have to be original TAG, or can anything else that's also good and matching do?

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #2,096 of 14,284
What do you think of this Citizen guys? Do you think it's any good? I am thinking to buy a watch for my partner, but I never used/liked leather strap before, for 2 reasons: difficult to put on, and I am not sure how long it will last.

It's made from Crocodile leather, not sure how long it will last and I'm not sure about the quality of this watch either.

For around 400-500 bucks, what do you recommend to buy for ladies' watch?

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #2,097 of 14,284
Man, one of my coworkers started making me want a mechanical minute repeater... God they're espensive... That and the Corum Bridge. Very cool. We watched a video where they were hand assembling the Bridge and it made me want one so much more.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #2,098 of 14,284
Quote:

Price, I don't know. Is it an auto or a quartz?

As for the strap... does it have to be original TAG, or can anything else that's also good and matching do?

Its a quartz. I would like an original TAG, but if its impossible to find, I'd be OK with something else.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #2,099 of 14,284
Oddly, I have become more fond of my Tag F1 recently
tagf1.jpg

I catch myself looking at it. The battery it came with must have been dying, the second hand jumped back and forth daily. I got a new one fitted[by Tag] and its rock solid now.
biggrin.gif

Obviously the Sapphire Crystal face is lovely, heh I find odd pleasure in attempting to scratch it with all sorts of things!

A bit O/T, the 35 on the bezel is dirty. Can you just unclip it and fit a new one? If so, are they expensive and where do you get them from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back