Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 21, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2,072 of 14,284
It's unavailable on Amazon....thanks, though....and I just found out it's only "splashproof", and i'll be swimming this summer...so it's a no-go.
So if anyone knows of something similar for under 250 but water resistant to 100M, I'd like to know. And i really liked the transparent back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #2,073 of 14,284
No one says 'waterproof', its not true. Only some serious divers-watch would not leak mulltiple miles underwater, still implode at some depth.

Manufacturers say, 'Water-resistance'...at X depth.

If you're not going diving, a water-resistance of 50meters is fine for swimming & showering in.

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #2,075 of 14,284
^ Spread the good word.

Not exactly the same, but any debate can immediately be reduced to pointing out spelling errors or factual stuff.

It is childish, but if they've nowhere to sink to...

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #2,076 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallardo88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's unavailable on Amazon....thanks, though....and I just found out it's only "splashproof", and i'll be swimming this summer...so it's a no-go.
So if anyone knows of something similar for under 250 but water resistant to 100M, I'd like to know. And i really liked the transparent back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Consider a Seiko diver. They can be had for around $150, and have the same movement as the one you were looking at. They don't have a display back though.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's Automatic Dive Watch #SKX173: Seiko: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's "Black Monster" Automatic Dive Watch #SKX779K1: Seiko: Sports & Outdoors

Also, you might want to keep in mind that a watch will need to be maintained to keep its water resistance. The seals won't last forever.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #2,077 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider a Seiko diver. They can be had for around $150, and have the same movement as the one you were looking at. They don't have a display back though.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's Automatic Dive Watch #SKX173: Seiko: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's "Black Monster" Automatic Dive Watch #SKX779K1: Seiko: Sports & Outdoors

Also, you might want to keep in mind that a watch will need to be maintained to keep its water resistance. The seals won't last forever.

People on watchuseek and other watch forums all rave about the Seiko Monsters. Its right up there with other much more expensive divers.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #2,078 of 14,284
Maybe someone here knows, or can help me. I've been dying to find a band like this that I could put on a classier watch:

hb3.12.5-thumb.jpg

hb3.12.6-thumb.jpg

That particular one probably costs way more than it should just because its Porter. If anyone can shoot me in the direction of one that would be awesome.
As much as I love my beat up Quiksilver Random Digital I picked up at a sample sale years back for twenty bucks, it's seen the ends of the earth, and if i want it to last I really need to get another watch.

DSC_0009-1.jpg

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #2,079 of 14,284
Jun 25, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #2,080 of 14,284
^Thank you very much. Found a few I'd be happy with on ebay. Now I gotta go find a time piece. I should go visit my parents and steal my Dad's Rolex
rolleyes.gif

$26.80 shipped on ebay.
9faa_1.JPG

22mm Military Style Genuine Leather Black Bund Strap - eBay (item 180256781128 end time Jul-01-08 19:09:25 PDT)

Edit: In the mean time I've always wanted an Invicta Lupah because of the ginormous face.

$180 @ Amazon
519HKN0N%2BCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Invicta Men's Lupah Collection Dragon Chronograph Watch #2094: Invicta: Watches

Apparently this one is $50 @ Costco right now:
attachment.php

I should be looking at other options, and check craigslist and local pawn shops. Any suggestions? I'd really like a black face though. Any suggestions on currently available models, or older vintage ones that may be easily accessible? I'd like something I can wear with that strap when I'm in jeans, and then a more appropriate strap when I'm in dress attire. Thanks.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #2,081 of 14,284
What's your budget? There are lots of options. Craigslist tends to be rather dry, and the pawn shops... doubtful.

I really, really like Precista watches, and the PRS-17 and 18 are just incredible pieces.

Bill Yao's MKII watches are also amazing: www.mkiiwatches.com Home Page

I really really really REALLY want the LRRP model that is going to be released but need to gather the cash first.

lrrp_banner_640.jpg

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2,083 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget? There are lots of options. Craigslist tends to be rather dry, and the pawn shops... doubtful.

I'd put my budget at about $200 at the moment. If there's a more appealing timepiece that's a bit over that, I'd consider saving up for it then sticking to my budget though. I'd like a larger black face(doesn't need to be Lupah sized) and something I won't regret having years from now, or later on think is childish or trendy. I'm gonna be looking into the ones you mentioned. I'm gonna go to costco after work later for some groceries and probably check out that Invicta and see what else they might have.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2,084 of 14,284
unfortunately watches are very widely price ranged there is a large market for under 1000 dollers a large market between 3-8000 a large market between 25-50 and then it really takes a large jump near 100,000 and up really watches with the nicest value and not throwing useless money away is in the 3000-8000 doller range where there are countless amounts of beautiful pieces from rolex breitling cartier omega tag heuer among others

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #2,085 of 14,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bill Yao's MKII watches are also amazing: www.mkiiwatches.com Home Page

I really really really REALLY want the LRRP model that is going to be released but need to gather the cash first.

lrrp_banner_640.jpg

That's a nice watch. Considering the Rolex it is based on (No. 1655 Orange hand Explorer II from the 70's, aka The Steve McQueen Explorer) sells for over $10K, I'd say ~$1K for that with a Swiss movement is not too bad. Of course, the Rolex's inflated price is due to rarity and popularity. But if you like the look and function, the MKII seems like a nice way to go. I've been going back and forth on placing a pre-order for one of them, but I fear it might remind me of the Rolex too much and make me think about what I can't get, rather than what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back