wat iemz are gud? $170 or less
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ECL

New Head-Fier
Its that time again. Sorry about this, im sure you guys are tired of seeing threads like this but.... Its christmas time :) Ok. I need new buds because my crap S4 got chewed up by my dogs. I didn't like them anyway (the dogs and the buds).

Heres what I need help with:

IEMs under 170 (Well not really but just keep them around that price or lower):

-I like a lot of bass but not overpowering ERRRRR sounding bass.
-I listen to a lot of stuff but mostly indie rock and hip hop.
-Crisp and fun sounding.

I've owned Nuforce NE-7Ms, ADDIEMs and S4s and my favorite by far have been the ADDIEMs because they've been the most clean and best sounding. I just don't know what to get because everyone's opinion on "wat is best" is different and the general opinion changes every month. (You guys told me to get the NE-7Ms and now it's like they don't exist) Anyways, what would you guys recommend?

So far I've heard:
HF5
MC5
Whats the difference between these two?
and
TF10
RE0

What about Turbines? Those seem kinda fun. Also what makes the turbine coppers $100 more than the turbine gold and $200 more than the regular turbines?

Thanks everyone I love you all so much

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Sorry I meant *"wat iemz r gud?"

deadhorse.gif
<------ What is this?

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 16
I have the original Turbines and they're definitely good for the bass lover. My only complaint is the build quality as the cable is a bit too thin and the overall construction is subpar to average. I had to RMA it 5 - 6 times but then again I'm a student who tends to go harsh on his phones. The price isn't bad either, as it can be had for around $120 - $130.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
How comfortable are they for prolonged use? (2-5 hours)

I own MTPG's and use the included tri-flange tips with them. I wear them every day and personally find no problem with them for extended periods of time lasting over two hours. It's all subjective, but that is what I find.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Personally I have fit issues with the regular turbines, if you don't go over the top of your ear they tend to be heavy (talking bout some sort of metal shell here) and like to fall out / rest on your ear and make it hurt after a while, but again depends on the way you use it and your ears as when I researched them before buying no one seems to have a problem with their weight.  If you say you like ADDIEMs it makes me think you really don't want the Turbines, DBA-02 seems to be the latest rage and offers more bottom end than RE0.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Personally I have fit issues with the regular turbines, if you don't go over the top of your ear they tend to be heavy (talking bout some sort of metal shell here) and like to fall out / rest on your ear and make it hurt after a while, but again depends on the way you use it and your ears as when I researched them before buying no one seems to have a problem with their weight.  If you say you like ADDIEMs it makes me think you really don't want the Turbines, DBA-02 seems to be the latest rage and offers more bottom end than RE0.

when i had the coppers, the weight was a issue, they fit fine in my ears (didn't fall out, had a seal (not good because I never got the sound that others experienced...) but the weight caused pain on my ears thought others don't seem to have this problem..

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
 If you say you like ADDIEMs it makes me think you really don't want the Turbines, DBA-02 seems to be the latest rage and offers more bottom end than RE0.

How so? The thing I liked about the ADDIEMs is the clarity and soundstage they gave me, but I thought the bass could be a little more pronounced which is what lead me to the Turbines

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Difference between the tf10 and re0 are that the tf10 is generally considered to be in a higher tier, are much bassier, and the sound is more full bodied and very warm in my opinion.  The re0's should sound very much like hf5's.  I wouldn't exactly consider the tf10's "crisp" but I like them a lot, they have a sort of V-shaped sound signature with a slightly recessed midrange.  One good thing about the tf10's are that you can get them for only about 140ish right now because a lot of people are trying to resell the ones they got off of the amazon sale.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Well at least the original Turbines were once hailed as the new kick in the pants budget IEMs for bassheads, so to me going from wanting a little more bass to a lot is a bit overkill since I'm fairly certain it's got the opposite sound signature to the ADDIEM.  I really don't think the Turbines have the 'clarity' that you're looking for, instrument separation is only okish to poor, on top of which it's got soundstage the size of a closet - if anything they're probably a better version of the NE-7Ms than ADDIEM. Again though this is the original turbines, apparently there's these new ones that do receive good reviews so I have no clue what they sound like.  RE0 on the other hand I know for sure you will not like if you wanted ADDIEM with more bass because evidently the chief complaint about RE0 is the lack of bass (but also hailed as best bang for the buck for details and clarity)

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Well at least the original Turbines were once hailed as the new kick in the pants budget IEMs for bassheads, so to me going from wanting a little more bass to a lot is a bit overkill since I'm fairly certain it's got the opposite sound signature to the ADDIEM.  I really don't think the Turbines have the 'clarity' that you're looking for, instrument separation is only okish to poor, on top of which it's got soundstage the size of a closet - if anything they're probably a better version of the NE-7Ms than ADDIEM. Again though this is the original turbines, apparently there's these new ones that do receive good reviews so I have no clue what they sound like.  RE0 on the other hand I know for sure you will not like if you wanted ADDIEM with more bass because evidently the chief complaint about RE0 is the lack of bass (but also hailed as best bang for the buck for details and clarity)

Thanks a lot! Yeah I've been doing more research and have definitely been straying away from the Turbines. I like a bass that is a more fast and punchy bass than high quantity overpowering bass, I always feel like something is missing if I don't feel the presence of a strong bass response. Basically I guess I'm looking for ADDIEM analytics with a strong bass.... for around $150 if that exists.

Does anyone think they know of a match for what I'm looking for?

The HJE900 and the HippoVB look pretty close from what I've read. If anyone has any personal experience with these that would be great. I also heard about the SuperFi 5EB but I heard those have more bzzzzzz-ish bass than crisp.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 16
AHHH Ok I decided that I'm going to try the HJE900.

A month ago they were going for a blowout of $90.
Now you can't even get them. .________.
My luck. Is anyone selling these or know a place where I can get them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back