1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Washington, DC./Maryland/Virginia Head-Fi Member Meet - May 18, 2019 - Gaithersburg, MD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. sheldaze
    I will definitely bring an HD800-friendly amplifier.

Dang. Was going to reply to your earlier request for HD58x, when these shipped - not likely in time for the small meet. I too have HD580, so between @SuperDuke and myself, we should have you covered.

2. Law87
    I'm looking for anyone with Meze Emperyean, Hifiman ARYA, Hifiman Susarava or LCD-4z. I know one have an Emperyean, hopefully he show up.

3. darmanastartes
    I'll come to that as well, I will try and bring The Element. I don't have much in the way of over-ear stuff atm.

4. sheldaze
    That was the first solid state amplifier, which I purchased since the HeadRoom Home (discontinued in 2005). I've since come around to like tubes a little more :smile:

5. Law87
    which Tube amp do you have ?

6. sheldaze
    Though I've been into headphones like the HD650 since it was first released in 2003, I've only been on Head-Fi since 2014 - same year as someone else I see :thumbsup:

A lot of years between, when I was basically in the Dark Ages. There was history and good technology growth in those years. I'm still learning and catching up to what was, including buying a few of those things used. The amplifier I would bring was a prototype in 2011. My hope is some people, like myself, will enjoy to hear a few of these legacy things. I've definitely come to love the amplifiers from companies like DNA, EC, ECP - I will bring an EC amplifier. Some other people might bring something from DNA or ECP. We'll see!

lcasadonte and jafnvaegi like this.
  7. lcasadonte
    I will try to make it. Schedule has not settled for the next 2 weeks.

8. kendavis
    I plan to be at both upcoming meets. If there is any interest at either of the two meets, I have some items to sell...

1) Excellent pair of HD800S headphones with all original components (including SE and Balanced cables) and original packaging (for $900 cash)
    2) Rega Apollo CD player with remote, but no original packaging(older wider version) (for $100 cash)

If anyone has an interest, let me know so I know to bring them. You can listen before you buy.

I hope that this is not against the "rules". It seems that meets would be excellent times for such transactions.

lcasadonte and harrisonjr98 like this.
  9. harrisonjr98
    IIRC, the problem usually stems with venue rules if anything. I remember last time a few people were planning to make some "under the table" sales, not sure if anything ever came of that or not. I'd say the way to do it would be discreetly, maybe have the actual transaction occur outside of the building. I would be interested in the 800S, no guarantee of buying but highly interested in auditioning with a potential purchase. :)

Edit: I will add, if we are doing "sales" I would love to offer up my old K7XXs for $120. They were rarely used and only as a secondary pair for gaming. Definitely let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  10. kendavis
    Good point... I can bring these items to listen to and any transactions can happen elsewhere.

11. PJABBER
    As the one who has the obligations for this venue, I can tell you that, among other conditions, we are specifically restricted from selling alcohol, smoking inside, charging a fee to attendees, having pets in the space, being excessively noisy and must return the venue undamaged and in good order.

There are no venue specific restrictions on anyone wanting to discuss and pursue a private transaction of the audio equipment we are all there for. Someone wants to buy your stuff and you like their offer, go for it.

I informally advise and represent several manufacturers but I am not paid for this representation and don't offer any of their items for direct sale at these Head-Fi meets. Most manufacturers have established retail channels to both sell their products and to take on the obligations of resolving warranty issues and the like. Some manufacturers do offer me demo samples of their product lines that have to be returned. Others offer demo samples that I don't have to return and those I gladly give to attendees for their honest evaluations and reviews for the benefit of our community.

My personal opinion is that if you are a commercial vendor, even with all of the required Maryland and local regulatory, licensing and tax collection obligations met, you will still likely be better served with doing a good demo and then offering a future discount to the meet attendees rather than selling directly. But if you want to sell the demo equipment rather than ship it back, go for it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. harrisonjr98
    Valuable clarification!

kendavis likes this.
  13. kendavis
    With that clarification, Perhaps we can use this meet to bring and/or listen to items that we may want to sell or buy, still keeping it to private transactions.

14. harrisonjr98
    Referring to the pre-meet I take it? Just a little confusing since there’s not a separate thread but if that’s your suggestion than that sounds like a great idea.

15. kendavis
    Actually, I figured both meets, but let's start with the pre-meet.

First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.