WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Jul 30, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #1,055 of 1,210
Hi all,

I have been on the forum looking at reviews of the IE 8's and bought a set from EBay. I then found this thread and I thought oh no.

I received my "Factory sealed" headphones on Saturday and had a look at the packaging for the tell tale signs of a fake.

The one thing that stood out on inspection was the German word that has the B missing in it on the 4th line of the notes (Au engerauschen).

Can you tell me please if this is a sure sign of a counterfeit product or not.

I have not as yet opened the packaging to see what the headphones look like and have contacted Sennheiser to see if the spelling mistake points to the product being fake.

Any info you could give me would be appreciated.

Cheers
Scott

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,056 of 1,210
Hi I am a 16 year old who very interested in listening to fine audio devices. I have received an ie8, and everything seems to be authentic except the case. As far as I know there should be a metal plate at the back of the case for the other part to magnetically attach to but my case is missing that plate.

Any help will be appreciated
Thank you

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,057 of 1,210

I wish you guys could help me on this one. I recently bought IE8 from ebay (yeah.. ebay I know)
and was wondering if they were fake. 
This was purchased as a gift so I cannot unbox the case and hear them to find out.
I searched this thread and found few suspicious points but at the same time they were not the 100% 
signs to tell these are fake since the genuine outer boxes have different design varients?
It wont be easy but is there a way to tell these are fake or real?

My guess is these are fake since they came from HK.

* I was kinda amazed these came wrapped. Why who how? lol

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,059 of 1,210
Should be real from what i see, 
The packaging is the easiest to fake though.

You'll need to take it out, and play around with the detachable cables and bass knob, if they work they shud be the genuine stuffs.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #1,060 of 1,210
I just came here from the portable rig gallery thread after a few people gave me the heads up that £88 was VERY cheap for a set of these.

After painstakingly reading through the first post and checking my iem's Im happy in the knowlage that mine are the real thing. Lucky me.

However, I cant see the 'red chip' in the connectors. Either its my eye sight or for some reason i have the real ie8's with the fake cable?? Is that even possible?

Or sennheiser have changed the cable over the years?

All I know is they sound fine and definately have that "Sennheiser sound"

Ill c & p this to the other thread so the otehrs know lol...

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,062 of 1,210
''Dsan'' they don't look real to me....

...There is a letter missing in the back side..paragraph  2 in Deutsch language....the letter β in the last word of the sentence .This is a bad sign...the vertical ''V 1.7'' also is missing from the left side of the barcode.
It seems that this box is a very good copy...but you are never sure if you don't hear the sound of the earphones.....fakes sound harsh

''AGUYFROMHOLLAND'' -they look real

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,063 of 1,210
Dont put your bets on the box.
I've bought a pair of ie80 from razordog (awesome seller)
and i manage to open the box even "Without" cutting or damaging the bottom plastic seal.

Hence what im saying is the contents can be changed EASILY ! ( pls take note if getting from private sellers)

You might be having a original box ... And a pair fakes ?

The best way is to listen to them. Let your ears be the judge.

But from the chinese web site, its written that they use the same drivers as the originals and they claim the sound it exactly the same and they even urge customers to try them out before buying at their shop (in china).

Im very tempted to try out their ie8i. As i can use them as replacement leads with mic and remote for my ie80 ( buying orginal replacement leads for ie8i cost even more).

But i ended up buying original leads ..

Till today im still very anxious to know how good the not so original sound like.
(Ive read some chinese reviews claiming they sounded as good)

Bottom line --- just get it from an authorized dealer. Even it cost more, its worth it. No need to worry over its authenency.

Latest news update that sennheiser has implemented a new system to check for fakes.
But it only applies to the boxes. Hopefully will use some new seals on the box - Useless if the contents can be changed.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,064 of 1,210
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 10, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,065 of 1,210
I stumbled upon this thread after my purchase. My IE8s sound great and I don't *think* they're fakes. But, after looking at the photos, I've noticed that my left bud also has a red/copper cable in addition to the one on the right. And that the 'R' letter is straight up, but the box seems to be real. I'm very confused now, any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back