WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Aug 6, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #618 of 1,210
Hey guys, 
I just joined this site today. I also got a pair of ie8 from ebay for about a month now. I compared mine with the pictures from SolidVictory (thanks for your effort, much appreciated!!), and they looked real (lucky me!). They also sound awesome. I just wondering, how does the cable feel? Is it supposed to be anti-tangle, which implies that it is pretty stiff? Because my friend also got a pair of ie8, I've listened to his, and the sound is just exactly the same as mine, but his cable was pretty stiff, and yeah, you can say its anti-tangle. Would that mean that mine's fake (probably just the cable)? 

Any confirmation would be very appreciated.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #619 of 1,210

Hello, I am new to here too! Could I ask how much did you pay for IE8? I bought it for 159 euros and there is one thing I want to mention that my earphone is Bulkware which means I don't get the box...etc, only 3 pairs of earbuds. 

Quote:
Hey guys, 
I just joined this site today. I also got a pair of ie8 from ebay for about a month now. I compared mine with the pictures from SolidVictory (thanks for your effort, much appreciated!!), and they looked real (lucky me!). They also sound awesome. I just wondering, how does the cable feel? Is it supposed to be anti-tangle, which implies that it is pretty stiff? Because my friend also got a pair of ie8, I've listened to his, and the sound is just exactly the same as mine, but his cable was pretty stiff, and yeah, you can say its anti-tangle. Would that mean that mine's fake (probably just the cable)? 

Any confirmation would be very appreciated.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #620 of 1,210
seven1849, that sounds pretty sketchy. when you get them post photos, but i think that the chance that they are fakes is very high. I don't think there is any reason for them to not be in the box. I got mine from an authorized dealer for $279. My first pair I got from an unauthorized dealer on amazon.co.uk for 150 euros with almost 100% positive feedback and they were fakes.

sekaino, if the cables are very different from each other then I would think that at least one of them is a fake, because as far as I know Sennheiser didn't change the cable design. the fact that they both sound the same makes me think that both of them are probably fake. it seems like the newer fakes actually don't sound bad, in fact my fakes sounded nearly as good as my $70 Sony MDR-V6's. also the newer fakes, like mine, look much more similar to the real ones than the fake ones on the first post of this thread. if you post some pics that would be helpful.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #621 of 1,210
Buying something like ie8s from ebay is just crazy...

I know someone who bought ex700s at a too-good-to-be-true price from ebay and those were fake.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #622 of 1,210

Quote:
seven1849, that sounds pretty sketchy. when you get them post photos, but i think that the chance that they are fakes is very high. I don't think there is any reason for them to not be in the box. I got mine from an authorized dealer for $279. My first pair I got from an unauthorized dealer on amazon.co.uk for 150 euros with almost 100% positive feedback and they were fakes.

sekaino, if the cables are very different from each other then I would think that at least one of them is a fake, because as far as I know Sennheiser didn't change the cable design. the fact that they both sound the same makes me think that both of them are probably fake. it seems like the newer fakes actually don't sound bad, in fact my fakes sounded nearly as good as my $70 Sony MDR-V6's. also the newer fakes, like mine, look much more similar to the real ones than the fake ones on the first post of this thread. if you post some pics that would be helpful.

The seller sent them out on 07/21 and I received them on 08/04. 
Today, 08/06, after discussing over and over with seller but still have no conclusion at all,   I report it to Paypal.

Some people said the newer fakes use original cable so there is no way to tell the difference from RED CHIP/WIRE.

The seller has more than 10,000 almost 100% positive feedbacks on ebay.....If the price is as much low as like say 100 euros I definitely wont make the deal with him. 

Here come more pictures~

only IE8 and earbuds, nothing more!!

Left ear:

Right ear:

PLUG:

IE 8 LOGO

Right ear:

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #623 of 1,210
seven, I'm leaning towards those being fakes, mainly because of the last picture. The lines surrounding the are thick and relatively far away from the , exactly like in the fakes. Also there are some subtle physical characteristics that remind me of my fake pair I returned.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #625 of 1,210

Quote:
seven, I'm leaning towards those being fakes, mainly because of the last picture. The lines surrounding the are thick and relatively far away from the , exactly like in the fakes. Also there are some subtle physical characteristics that remind me of my fake pair I returned.

That's true... some experts have the same feeling like yours. Unfortunately, the seller insist his IE8 is original, reason is simply [DIRECTLY FROM FACTORY], and all I hope is that Paypal could be the fair judge and take the opinions from this topic. 

Why your seller accept to refund you?

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #626 of 1,210

Quote:
Hello, I am new to here too! Could I ask how much did you pay for IE8? I bought it for 159 euros and there is one thing I want to mention that my earphone is Bulkware which means I don't get the box...etc, only 3 pairs of earbuds. 

Hi, I bought it for approximately 180 GBP. Here are some pictures that I took. Note that I used my own foam tips, just in case if you guys noticed its different.

Any confirmation, people?

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #627 of 1,210

Quote:

Hi I bought it for approximately 180 GBP. Here are some pictures that I took. Note that I used my own foam tips, just in case you guys noticed something different.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #628 of 1,210
There are two things that likely make his statement false.  First of all, you have to be an authorized reseller to get them straight from the factory.  If his are real and he did get them straight from the factory, Sennheiser will have his company name or seller id on the authorized list.  My guess is that he isn't on that list based on the pictures, but a quick email to Sennheiser will confirm it.  If nothing else, it may help you with your dispute with Paypal.

Quote:

That's true... some experts have the same feeling like yours. Unfortunately, the seller insist his IE8 is original, reason is simply [DIRECTLY FROM FACTORY], and all I hope is that Paypal could be the fair judge and take the opinions from this topic. 

Why your seller accept to refund you?

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #629 of 1,210
I got some fake ones on purpose (OEMS off of Ebay for 23$) not worth it unless you want a good pair of earplugs, and a poor set of earphones.

they were more detailed that ipod earphones, their highs were REALLY high, like grating when listening at any high volume. the mids were quite recessed and the bass was nonexistant. I am trying to decide whether my 14$ skullcandy in-earphones are better or not. they are the exact opposite, the bass is overblown and the mids are quiet and the highs are nonexistant. so they are not recommended. 

it is funny, the R and L were on the wrong earphone, trivial but a little ridiculous

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #630 of 1,210
My fakes were quite a bit better than what you describe.  I was able to get good bass out of mine.  In fact, that was the best part of them, and I would say that the bass was better than my Klipsch Custom 3's.  It was downhill from there though.  The mids were recessed, but not tremendously so.  The highs were edgy and slightly harsh at times, but not to the point that I would call them "grating".  There was no warmth to them unless I had a really deep insertion which then made them sound even worse.  The build quality was also pretty darn good.  In fact it was so good that I wouldn't have questioned that they were genuine by build quality alone except for maybe one thing.  Do genuine IE8's have removable sound tubes?  I could take the sound tubes off on my set.  One of them came off when changing tips, and I thought I broke it until I realized that it looked like part of the design.

Quote:
I got some fake ones on purpose (OEMS off of Ebay for 23$) not worth it unless you want a good pair of earplugs, and a poor set of earphones.

they were more detailed that ipod earphones, their highs were REALLY high, like grating when listening at any high volume. the mids were quite recessed and the bass was nonexistant. I am trying to decide whether my 14$ skullcandy in-earphones are better or not. they are the exact opposite, the bass is overblown and the mids are quiet and the highs are nonexistant. so they are not recommended. 

it is funny, the R and L were on the wrong earphone, trivial but a little ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back