WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Aug 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #631 of 1,210

Quote:
Buying something like ie8s from ebay is just crazy...

I know someone who bought ex700s at a too-good-to-be-true price from ebay and those were fake.

As an authorized Online Sennheiser dealer who has sold 100s of pairs at a fair price($279-$289) with no reserve auction on eBay, I have to somewhat disagree. While 95% of the sellers there are selling bogus Hong Kong fakes, there is an occasional Authorized seller that is selling the real thing. The BIGGEST KEY I tell everyone is this:

IF you find them for under $250 US, there is a 99% chance they are fake.

Also, do NOT be afraid to ask someone to prove their dealer status. I put my proof ( [size=small]http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_authorized-dealers_online-dealers  )  in ALL my auctions to show people up front that mine are real. It's sad that I have to do that, but that's the only way. [/size]

My overall point is that it is POSSIBLE to buy real ones on eBay.  You just have to be careful.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #633 of 1,210
Hi Guys

I purchased my IE8's from an online UK retailer;

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Sennheiser-IE8-In-Ear-Monitoring-Headphone#ProductFeatures

The company are listed on the UK Sennheiser website.

Everything about the IEM says they are real, however the 'red chip' is not as visible as the one seen in the original photo.

I have emailed Sennheiser to confirm the dealer and I have also emailed the website anonymously to ask them if they are in fact aware of fake IE8's and can they prove to me that there stock is genuine before I potentially buy them.
Yes I should of done this before I bought them but I didn't so hey ho.

I wonder if Sennheiser will reply (I hope they do)

Scotty

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #634 of 1,210
Hi Guys

A rep from Scan.co.uk replied. He said they do buy there stock directly from Sennheiser (but he would say that)

I'm hoping Sennheiser reply, I just need a bit more reassurance. That's all

What do you guys think? Do you think I have a genuine pair?

Scotty

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #635 of 1,210
i cant imagine scan would be buying from anywhere other than somewhere reputable, there should be little to no risk in buying from bon fide established retailers.  if they were caught selling fakes it would effectively kill the company.

oh and btw the test if gen or not really is did it come in the worlds most over engineered box you cant get into and does it have a super over engineered case that is next to useless

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #636 of 1,210
Hey buddy

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.

The box was definitely sealed, I had to cut the plastic strip on the back before I could remove the contents.
I've emailed Chris ward at Scan and I've also contacted Sennheiser, so hopefully I will get the reassurance I need.

It's pretty bad that I have to do this, even when I've purchased from a seemingly reputable dealer.
God dam those counterfeit products!

Thanks again

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #638 of 1,210
I agree with  you  mark , oh and i do love the ie series outer box ,(packaging ) but totally useless of course unless you want to put in on display on a shelve somewhere.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
i cant imagine scan would be buying from anywhere other than somewhere reputable, there should be little to no risk in buying from bon fide established retailers.  if they were caught selling fakes it would effectively kill the company.

oh and btw the test if gen or not really is did it come in the worlds most over engineered box you cant get into and does it have a super over engineered case that is next to useless

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #639 of 1,210
but the problem with the fakes is that there coming from sennheisers old factory who were once making them before sennheiser  switched with other people. So not to scare any one but fakes can be anywere without you or even the seller knowing that a fake is being passed on. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #640 of 1,210

Quote:
but the problem with the fakes is that there coming from sennheisers old factory who were once making them before sennheiser  switched with other people. So not to scare any one but fakes can be anywere without you or even the seller knowing that a fake is being passed on. 

Great! So now I'm back to square one.

The sooner Sennheiser respond the better.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #641 of 1,210
Hey everyone. First of all would like to thank the original poster who helped me identify my fake IE8's

I purchased mine through a seller called Swift Swallow on Amazon UK. They arrived first thing this morning, so after opening I immediately google searched and compared mine to the original post. All the signs are there (dodgy barcode, no red bits, "L" and "R" being straight, the highly brushed aluminium tin. Contacted the seller who said he would give me a refund but I would have to pay for sending them back. I am not paying a postage fee for counterfeit goods therefore I'm going to contact Amazon and file a cliam, rather than get into an argument over postage costs with the seller

Therefore any UK buyers purchasing through Amazon, avoid Swift Swallow

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0012XFDWE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1282909031&sr=8-1-spell&condition=new

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #642 of 1,210

Quote:
Hey everyone. First of all would like to thank the original poster who helped me identify my fake IE8's

I purchased mine through a seller called Swift Swallow on Amazon UK. They arrived first thing this morning, so after opening I immediately google searched and compared mine to the original post. All the signs are there (dodgy barcode, no red bits, "L" and "R" being straight, the highly brushed aluminium tin. Contacted the seller who said he would give me a refund but I would have to pay for sending them back. I am not paying a postage fee for counterfeit goods therefore I'm going to contact Amazon and file a cliam, rather than get into an argument over postage costs with the seller

Therefore any UK buyers purchasing through Amazon, avoid Swift Swallow

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0012XFDWE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1282909031&sr=8-1-spell&condition=new

Why don't you get Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R) instead?  I sold mine IE8 after I heard DDM. Fascinating strings, and overall similar sounding to IE8, and the good thing about them, there are not being counterfeited yet so no risk involved 
biggrin.gif
. can get them in UK for 120 kingdom currency at iheadphones

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #644 of 1,210
I read some people sell fake pair with real ie8 cable. So like, a person buys a fake pair, gets a legit ie8 cable, switches the cable and sells the fake as real since
'red' cable.

Better to be sure to check other signs as well

Quote:
Hi everyone.I have a very simple question about this earphones:

Red chip always means im buying something genuine?

Best Regards,

DH

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #645 of 1,210
Some of the more blatant differences I noticed between my real and fake pairs:

-For the fake box, the lid did not quite reach the bottom of the box. Ie there was a significant gap between the bottom edge of the lid and the bottom lip of the box. With the real box, the bottom edge of the lid is pretty much flush with the bottom lip. Also, on fake box the "OPEN HERE" was relatively thin and dark yellow. On real box, that text is large, bold and bright yellow.

-With the fake box, the plastic band around the box was held together by a small piece of tape. No such tape with the real box.

-In the fake box, the packet that absorbs moisture is large and more squarish than the real one. The real packet is long and thin, specifically, it is about 1.5 cm by 4.5 cm. I didn't measure the dimensions of the fake one.

-Fake: the packet containing the tips is closed with a piece of tape. Real: that packet is not closed or sealed.

-Real: the instruction manuals in the different languages go in their own little packet. Fake: I don't remember such a packet, but I may be forgetting.

-Real: there is a green chip in the box where the one wire splits into two (where the "IE8" text is) that is easily visible with good lighting. Fake: there was no such chip, or it was not easy to see.

-Real: red chip in R driver, Fake: no red chip

Will post more if I think of anything else. I posted pictures of my fakes a page or two back. If you want me to post any pictures of my reals I will do so.

Also, if buying from amazon.co.uk avoid the seller GMZ-Fonz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back