WARNING: Fake IE8s! Comparison pictures included!!
Nov 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 1,210
Dare I ask how does the fake ones sound? haha

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 1,210
Wow, that is one good fake one. Certain things could have changed in their production line from first batch of IE8s... but the sound quality is where you can tell the diff i suppose.

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 1,210
What about the serial numbers? Theres any way to determine if they are original or fake using the Serial numbers? Maybe sending it to senhheiser or trying to register the product on the web page, the registration format asks for it. Did you tried that?

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by koruki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dare I ask how does the fake ones sound? haha

They sounded terrible, like I mentioned in my post. The treble and midrange balance was completely off, and everything was extremely harsh. The bass was bloated, muffled, and uncontrolled. It was worse than most earphones that you can get for $15-$20.

An even bigger giveaway was that the left driver had significantly lower volume than the right one, and sometimes did not work at all. It's very easy to tell when you have the fakes in your ears that they are not real Sennheisers.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sounded terrible, like I mentioned in my post. The treble and midrange balance was completely off, and everything was extremely harsh. The bass was bloated, muffled, and uncontrolled. It was worse than most earphones that you can get for $15-$20.

An even bigger giveaway was that the left driver had significantly lower volume than the right one, and sometimes did not work at all. It's very easy to tell when you have the fakes in your ears that they are not real Sennheisers.

What about the serial numbers? Theres any way to determine if they are original or fake using the Serial numbers? Maybe sending it to senhheiser or trying to register the product on the web page, the registration format asks for it. Did you tried that?

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 1,210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj TechnoWinstrol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not too sure about serial numbers. Since I've never had to send my IE8s or other IEMs for serial confirmation, I don't think they are really used to determine authenticity. Because when you think about it, a box can be genuine, but the IEMs can be fake inside of the box.

I did not try to confirm anything with serial numbers with the fake IE8s, since I pretty much knew they were fake after the extensive comparison. I would say to lean more on an authorized dealer + sound of the IEM instead of serial numbers.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 1,210
They're damn good fakes O_O Thanks for the pictures, it helps a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 1,210
If these are indeed fake this is very bad news for Sennheiser. It being virtually impossible to tell a real IE8 form a fake really does a lot of damage to the brand (especially if they sound like crap).

The people who built these fake ones would have a put a lot of time and money into r&d as well as production setup and they are certainly looking to make a profit. In this case buying from an authorized dealer is not enough for me. After all it's safe to assume there are corrupt authorized dealers out there.

Sennheiser better quickly think of a way for customers to be sure that their ie8 is the real thing without having to do a side by side comparison looking for micro details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back