Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Feb 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #391 of 408
Stay far away from any amp with the HV option.  They are the worst I've seen, crucial parts under spec but driven very hard and when something goes wrong the headphones are toast and there might be some injury to the user as well. 

I would never pay more than 100$+shipping for anything Single Power as it takes a lot of work and money to get these right.  In many cases it just easier to throw everything away and start anew. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #392 of 408
Quote:
Stay far away from any amp with the HV option.  They are the worst I've seen, crucial parts under spec but driven very hard and when something goes wrong the headphones are toast and there might be some injury to the user as well. 

I would never pay more than 100$+shipping for anything Single Power as it takes a lot of work and money to get these right.  In many cases it just easier to throw everything away and start anew. 

Ok thanks for the suggestion, I think you have a point. Just not worth the risk, time, effort and money involved.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #395 of 408
I have a Singlepower MPX3-slam and I was wondering if anyone could te

ll if this is one of the safe ones? Never had much trouble with it, except for some noise in the right channel every now and then. It gets quite hot but I've used it for years.. 

Bought mine from previous owner in '07 who had it in '06, I would have to open up to get s/n. Nevertheless, mine sounds pretty good and switched to a Goldpoint attenuator. I should feel lucky by the results of Singlepower lately. I wonder if anyone on the boards lives in Denver and has stopped by Mikhail's lately.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #396 of 408
Hi

Nah I haven't heard or bought the Slam, it's risk I'm not willing to take given the amount of time and effort you'd need to sink in to get it fixed.

Would like to hear your findings though.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #397 of 408
Anyone out there still running a Singlepower amp? I'm still using mine (Singlepower Extreme Platinum - no repairs/modifications applied) and it's awesome.

C'mon guys, lets have some stories.....:)

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #399 of 408
  Anyone out there still running a Singlepower amp? I'm still using mine (Singlepower Extreme Platinum - no repairs/modifications applied) and it's awesome.

The "Platinum" didn't have the same transformer problem/danger as the regular Extreme?

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #400 of 408

After changing out the transformer, my Extreme is in use almost everyday with no issues. I plan on keeping it. Pictures of my Extreme are still in recent images.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #402 of 408
My MPX3 was working fine until last week when it stopped working. No drama, no loud pop, no burning smell, no smoke, it just stopped and went cold mid-CD. I'm now trying to learn what is wrong with it and if it will be repair, or replace.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #405 of 408
"Sh**. I hope you can get it sorted. Did you try replacement tubes?"

"My darkvoice did that once... It was just the fuse that popped. Not sure what caused it"

I check the fuse and it was burnt. Replaced the fuse and it immediately burnt again. The amp is currently with someone who repairs guitar amps and builds the custom Red Jones Amps. If you play electric guitar, or just appreciate fine craftsmanship you might want to check these amps out < www.redjonesamplification.com >. They are a thing of beauty.

Depending on what is found, I hope to have the amp back soon. Sure am missing some quality sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back