Warming up headphones?
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

afinch1992

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone noticed their headphones perform worse when its colder and get better as the warm up? both literally and just in a technical sense?

my q40s seem to sound better after a good 20 min play through if theyve been in a cool place like by a window

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 26

Quote:
Has anyone noticed their headphones perform worse when its colder and get better as the warm up? both literally and just in a technical sense?

my q40s seem to sound better after a good 20 min play through if theyve been in a cool place like by a window

IDK..but my cabling performs much better in warm weather than in cold...

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 26
i never even thought about the cables. good point

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
i never even thought about the cables. good point

you could take my post two ways, electricity flows poorly when it's cold, or my cables become all brittle and stiff while outside, or both 

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 26
i swear they sound so much better and have a bigger soundstage now that theyve been used on my head for a good hour

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
i swear they sound so much better and have a bigger soundstage now that theyve been used on my head for a good hour

or maybe you have warmed up to them.....

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 26
another good point

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 26
Jan 12, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 26
temperatures can effect sound in a few different ways, but how cold are you guys subjecting your headphones to? i know my car stereo sounds like crap in the winter because the rubber surrounds on the drivers stiffen up, but i don't think headphone drivers have rubber surrounds.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 26
not that cold. like 50s-60s. definitely not as cold as outside, but noticeable compared to room temp

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 26
from 50's to normal operating temps there may be a difference. mine stay in a room thats always between 66-72 and they sound just as good the minute i put them on as they do a half hour later.

Quote:
not that cold. like 50s-60s. definitely not as cold as outside, but noticeable compared to room temp

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 26
That's what I was going to say. I've noticed that high end and sibilance bother me less once I've had my cans on for a goodly amount of time, as long as they're not excessive to begin with. I think the effect is at least partially psychological.

Quote:
or maybe you have warmed up to them.....

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
temperatures can effect sound in a few different ways, but how cold are you guys subjecting your headphones to? i know my car stereo sounds like crap in the winter because the rubber surrounds on the drivers stiffen up, but i don't think headphone drivers have rubber surrounds.

My audio background roots from car audio.  I am quite the enthusiast when it comes to that category, and I can tell you absolutely that the system sounds better once the drivers warm up a little bit - amps, drivers, cap, power source, all of it.

It seems like headphones wouldn't be exposed to temps that could make a difference on a regular basis... but it wouldn't surprise me either if a little warm up helped.

Might be the ears "warming up" a little too, especially when talking about the morning situation described earlier... kinda like when the lights are really bright if you know where I am going with this.

Of course, I am just speaking out my a#@ with this, I have no numbers or data that suggest warming up makes a difference.  I can tell you that my car stereo system sounds much better in a dryer, mild temperature environment as opposed to a cold one.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 26
the reason i think its something with the headphones warming up, and not me warming up to them, is i can literally feel more bass vibrating on my ears after the "warm up" time

i made sure with the exact same songs btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back