Warm sounding Solid State (SS) Headphone Amps
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #46 of 47
Looks like that $450 Dynalo is gone but I would've said yes since I remember the unit. I really wish the HeadAmp GS-1 would make a return... at $750 it was an unbelievable value.

As for point-to-point wiring, that is correct. Even though only tube amps are sometimes point-to-point wired I had to mention it. That's a big no-no to me, at the very least a PCB just makes everyone's life easier.

Awh man. That's unfortunate.

Ok, makes sense. It seems like a flat-out dangerous wiring scheme. I bought a broken philco radio out of curiosity. Looks like it's a 40's or 50's model, p2p wired. I'm surprised it didn't get someone killed, with almost all the solder joins dangling on loose (not even minimal length or bundled) wires. It could easily start a fire, or kill someone with a high-voltage cap discharge/120v AC across the heart. I guess those "we let our kids play outside back in my day" memes were onto something...life really was pretty dangerous--if you owned any audio equipment lol.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #47 of 47
Such amps are likely distorting and harming the sound. What I suggest is getting an excellent, transparent amp, and if you want a warmer more laid back sound get a headphone that sounds like this e.g. ZMF.

Generally agree. However, Pass amps both DIY and sold by Pass/First Watt are all almost perfect for this purpose. Undeniably transparent, they also have a certain subtle sweetness to them (could be the Class A operation). Class D and Class AB SS amps just can't compete. Some Class A amps such as Luxman, various small amp desktops, some schiit, Pass DIY, etc. do the job of fealty to the signal and make it pleasant to listen to at the same time. In the old days tubes did that - with the side effect of adding THD (sometimes a lot), retubing costs, tube rolling costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back