Warm sounding Solid State (SS) Headphone Amps
Sep 26, 2010 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

lessblue

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what solid state amps offer a warm sound signature (or 'tubey').

I realize this is of course somewhat relative, it may sound different from person to person, and the combination of equipment matters greatly (opamps, headphones used, musical taste...).

Still, what do you consider to be warm sounding solid state amp in any price range, DIY included?

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 47
my vintage 70's kenwood kr-720  stereo receiver tuner/amplifier  has a nice warm tube sound to it..very clean and powerful also. no distortion or noise through the headphone jack. bought it for 30 bucks from a local in mint condition so it was soooo worth it. most vintage solid state receiver/amplifiers  from the 70's and 80's have a nice warm sound to'em. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 47
burson HA-160 is a warm SS.

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 47
I agree. Slightly warm, at any rate, maybe not as warm as 'tubey'. I also understand amps with capacitors in the signal path are in general, warm. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 47
In my experience the Violectric V200 is also a very tubelike (warm, forgiving, relaxed) amp. Check the large thread on it, there are several who agree this view there.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 47
AMB M^3. It's warm yet fast, resolving and dynamic (a lot better than the Violectric V100 or Sheer Audio HA-006++ I had).

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 47
Would the Matrix M-Stage be considered on the warm side? Seems to be liked, especially at its price point. Good to read everyone's thoughts and impressions
smile_phones.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 47

Quote:
Until the SRGI I would totally agree, the SRGII has a bit better treble extension while retaining an overall warm presentation. i have not listened to the latest version (ultra linear).

yep, SRGII still warm for my taste, never heard Ultra Linear too, but some people told me that Ultra Linear still have similiar character like other Solo.

Quote:
Would the Matrix M-Stage be considered on the warm side? Seems to be liked, especially at its price point. Good to read everyone's thoughts and impressions
smile_phones.gif

Yep, M-Stage still at warm side.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 47
I have a Sherwood 4109 A/V receiver.  I've tried dedicated headphone amps, and I always find myself falling back to it.  <0.4% distortion, 98dB snr, 20hz-100khz frequency response, and a built in equalizer all for under $100
Grab it before they stop producing it.  It's vintage in character but not quite vintage yet.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 47

i see it all the time at my local radioshack for 89 bucks. didn't know it had a phono section. don't know why it's under a/v section it's just audio and stereo gear. sherwood is a great brand and are under-rated. same with kenwoods especially in vintage gear. 
Quote:
I have a Sherwood 4109 A/V receiver.  I've tried dedicated headphone amps, and I always find myself falling back to it.  <0.4% distortion, 98dB snr, 20hz-100khz frequency response, and a built in equalizer all for under $100
Grab it before they stop producing it.  It's vintage in character but not quite vintage yet.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 47
It's a shame it gets bad reviews.  It gets them because the speaker output isn't all that great, but the headphone preamp is an entirely different circuit, as far as I know.  You can't really trust net reviews for the 4109 because they're all focusing on the speaker circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back