Warm, laid back, non-fatiguing, super comfortable portable headphones
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
What are some warm, laid back, non-fatiguing, super comfortable portable closed headphones that I should consider?

Also would like there to be minimum sound leakage.

Considering:
- Oppo PM-3
- ‎B&O H6 2nd gen
- ‎Meze 99 classics

Anything else?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 14
I'd vote the Meze, the PM3 is apparently very neutral and boring

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 14
I like the Soundmagic HP100 for out and about. They're VERY comfy, don't draw any strange looks being quite narrow. Sound is warm, but they've got great bass response. It's big but it's so well controlled. They've got great extension either side without being muddy or bright. Easy to drive, but with a cheap AMP they sound even better.

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 14
The Meze 99 Classics are the ones I would pick on your list but have not heard the B&O’s so cant say anything about them though to be honest. The Oppo are good technically but as stated above just a bit boring and lifeless to me but that is just my opinion and it has been awhile since I’ve heard them just to be fair about it. The Meze are very comfortable to me but my wife and son don’t like them as the pads are shallow and the driver does touch your ear. They are very close to being a on ear headphone in that regard but they have very little clamp force and I can wear them for a couple of hours with no discomfort at all as I don’t wear headphones much longer than that anyway. One thing about the Meze is you can eq the crap out of them if you want with no problem at all. I don’t usually use a lot of eq on most of my stuff but saw a post on the Meze thread and had to try it out and it totally changes the way they sound.Not that they sound bad in their stock sound it is just crazy how they can sound so different. My Dap has two eq presets and one is for the Meze to make them more neutral. They just take to eq so much more than most headphones I have.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Nov 11, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 14
They are highly regarded because they are good. Blowing away the 400i’s might be a bit much. They are different headphones and I don’t have the 400i’s but do have the 400S and still would not say blow away as they are totally different headphones.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 14
They are highly regarded because they are good. Blowing away the 400i’s might be a bit much. They are different headphones and I don’t have the 400i’s but do have the 400S and still would not say blow away as they are totally different headphones.

I take comments like that with a grain of salt, but it's still impressive that they potentially even can compete against an open-backed planar magnetic like the 400i.

I actually never heard them, but I plan to get the HEX v2 for home use. That's why I'm looking for a fun, comfortable portable set. Leaning towards the classics 99 now.

Wonder how the classics 99 compare to some of the top IEMs. My beloved JH16s had a driver failure issue not too long ago. Instead of getting them fixed, I have decided that I need an extended break from any form of IEMs. Even returning my 1more Quad's - they were a bit too bright for me. In general though, I just don't find IEMs comfortable anymore...

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 14
Wow, didn't realize the 99 classics were so highly regarded here.

Skimming through their impressions thread and already seeing someone even saying they even blow the 400i's away.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread.794593/page-223

And I didn't even know about the Soundmagic HP100's. They definitely look comfortable (maybe even too big?) and their price is nice.
LOL, that was me. Yeah, pretty strong language but to ME, I do believe for my tastes (which I should have mentioned as we all have different ears) they blow the 400i away for what I like in a headphone and SS. I agree, they are 2 completely different animals but I love the Meze sound compared to the 400i any day or time of the week.
Until you hear and own them both, someone else can and could possibly think and say the same thing as I did. My personal impressions and taste.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 14
LOL, that was me. Yeah, pretty strong language but to ME, I do believe for my tastes (which I should have mentioned as we all have different ears) they blow the 400i away for what I like in a headphone and SS. I agree, they are 2 completely different animals but I love the Meze sound compared to the 400i any day or time of the week.
Until you hear and own them both, someone else can and could possibly think and say the same thing as I did. My personal impressions and taste.

If the 99 classics allow you to be more immersed and lost in your music because of your comfort and sonic preferences, then for you they do blow the 400i's away. That being said, we all tend to exaggerate sometimes to make a point. That's why I appreciate your comparison, but do take it with a grain of salt.

Can you please compare their soundstage differences since you prefer the 99 classics in this regard?

Nov 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 14
The sony mdr-1a are suuuuper comfy too, and if you want an open back definitely check out the philips fidelio x2 too (just had a hi-res re-release, but the sound has not changed from the old version I think)

Love Sony's build quality and they do look comfy, but I read that the mdr-1a's has a peaky treble and suffers from sibilance. I'm trying to avoid that.

For open backed home use, I'm planning on getting the hifiman edition x v2.

Nov 12, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Love Sony's build quality and they do look comfy, but I read that the mdr-1a's has a peaky treble and suffers from sibilance. I'm trying to avoid that.

For open backed home use, I'm planning on getting the hifiman edition x v2.

I envy your budget :o2smile:
The 1a's are basically a tweaked and brighter version of the 1r. IMHO that clarity is needed, but I have only spent time a small amount of time with them in electronics stores so the folks at sony may well have overdone it a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back