Warbler Audio's Prelude CIEM- a labour of love
Feb 23, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #136 of 220
So it s quite dead here.
The prelude deserve more attention.
They are fantactic iems.
The resolution is really amazing and the tonality too.
I had the chance to test it with a lot of daps and cables.

WIth the Hugo 2 and the leonidas i was really impressed. I didn't think the prelude could go that far.

Really these are fantactic iems (and I owned some top iems including the Zeus XIV)

And they are beautiful too

I completely agree with you. They really have a beautiful tonality that makes you want to listen to all your music.

Just waiting for my Preludes from a refit. Hasan has been really responsive and helpful.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #137 of 220
I will post mine next week (when I'm back home). Probably in some long lost, medieval Dutch dialect, that Google Translate hasn't integrated yet :grin:
Keigaaf man! (Hey, I'm from Brabant... Eindhoven de gekste! :p)

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #138 of 220
The Prelude is now my longest serving IEM. I simply couldn't bear to part with it. Its sound is amazing. I like how natural, and realistic it sounds out of my laptop. It's a bit picky with some players though. But when you get a match, it'll serve you well. No EQ needed. It makes me smile everytime I listen to my favourite songs. With the Prelude, you won't get a deep head-banging bass, or a soaring high treble. But you will get a special heart-warming midrange, and a smooth overall sound. Silky lovely sound with only one driver. It has an excellent build quality too. The shell is very tough, and solid.

IMG-20170922-_WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #139 of 220
Thanks for the impressions!

I lost my portable dac/amp so pumped up the cash for a Hugo2. Look forward to getting back into the game. This time I’ll use it with the Blu2 at home.

Sorry to hear you lost your dac/amp.

Since impressions are very rare with the Hugo2, Blu2/Hugo2, Blu2/Dave and Dave with TOTL IEM's, would like to get your take when you get the chance with Prelude/SE5U. No hurry, I'm still patiently waiting for the 2go and M Scaler to launch so please take all the time needed.

On the Hugo2 thread, @ray-dude mentions the Focal Utopia tops out when putting the Blu2 in the mix; but doesn't with speakers. Would be interesting to know if TOTL IEM's also top up at some point with the Blu2.

One last, Blu2/Hugo2 > Dave with TOTL IEM's? Would be great to have a portable/transportable battery-powered DAVE (Hugo2/M Scaler).

Cheers M8

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #140 of 220
So it s quite dead here.
The prelude deserve more attention.
They are fantactic iems.
The resolution is really amazing and the tonality too.
I had the chance to test it with a lot of daps and cables.

WIth the Hugo 2 and the leonidas i was really impressed. I didn't think the prelude could go that far.

Really these are fantactic iems (and I owned some top iems including the Zeus XIV)

And they are beautiful too

Hugo2 just sounds gorgeous. Do you happen to experience any hiss with the Hugo2/Prelude? Prelude might go back on my Radar one day.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #141 of 220
Sorry to hear you lost your dac/amp.

Since impressions are very rare with the Hugo2, Blu2/Hugo2, Blu2/Dave and Dave with TOTL IEM's, would like to get your take when you get the chance with Prelude/SE5U. No hurry, I'm still patiently waiting for the 2go and M Scaler to launch so please take all the time needed.

On the Hugo2 thread, @ray-dude mentions the Focal Utopia tops out when putting the Blu2 in the mix; but doesn't with speakers. Would be interesting to know if TOTL IEM's also top up at some point with the Blu2.

One last, Blu2/Hugo2 > Dave with TOTL IEM's? Would be great to have a portable/transportable battery-powered DAVE (Hugo2/M Scaler).

Cheers M8

What does top out mean? I’m getting some adaptors made to try blu2/hugo2, won’t bw that soon tho.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #142 of 220
What does top out mean? I’m getting some adaptors made to try blu2/hugo2, won’t bw that soon tho.

No hurry. Just curious. The 2Go will probably not be out till end of summer so I'm going to be pretty dormant on this site until then, but I'll lurk occasionally for updates. That's the only product I have an immediate interest in at this time. The M scaler is in the road map, but a long ways away.

Hmm, probably when your headphone or IEM does not scale anymore and reaches it's limits. Here's some links by @ray-dude to give you some examples:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-658#post-13958140

A headphone might work fine @ 250k taps, but start to degrade @ 500k for example.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews

near the bottom:

ray-dude said:
More generally, the Blu2 has highlighted the limits of essentially all my content and equipment. Finding the right combination where any listening tests were not dominated by those limits was incredibly illuminating and humbling. Basically, everything degrades what the Blu2 can produce. You just try to minimize that degradation.

Normally, I have done critical listening tests with headphones, but my (until now infinitely scalable) Sennheiser HD800’s have clearly topped out with the BluDAVE. The only configuration I have access to that exposes the real performance of BluDAVE is to drive high efficiency single driver Omega Super Alnico Monitors directly from BluDAVE.

That makes the BluHugo2 pretty damn good! Any Hugo2 owner should be looking for an opportunity to hook up to a Blu2 and hear what is possible, but be open to the fact that your content and digital chain and your headphones will likely be masking what the BluHugo2 is really capable of.

Wondering how this will impact TOTL IEMs...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #143 of 220
Sorry for crashing the thread, but I saw my review and comments had gotten tagged.

To clarify my experience, I found that sound quality and transparency radically increased as I went from the Chord Mojo to Hugo2 to DAVE, then got completely next level with Blu2 got added to the mix (details in my review links below). When I say "degrade", I mean that the headphone or IEM is the bottle neck, and the overall system performance is less than it could be, not that sound is getting worse. It is just that weakest link in the reproduction chain becomes the transducer, and they are holding you back from hearing what the rest of the stack is capable of doing. This is what I meant by "topping out".

Especially, when Blu2 got added to the mix (whether to Hugo2 or DAVE), I found that various headphones, CIEMs (I have Noble Katanas), and 2 channel setups I have all seemed to hit limits for how much better they were getting. Everything got better. Some pieces of kit got better a little less, some got insanely better and I was hearing things I never even thought were there to hear.

For the headphones and CIEM that I have, and for my traditional 2 channel setup (B&W 802d3's + Benchmark amp), the Blu2 highlighted limits of what they could reproduce. It was only with the single driver high efficiency speakers (Omega Super Alnico Monitors) driven directly from the Hugo2/DAVE that everything the Blu2 could do really revealed itself. Since then, I've gotten some Voxativ 9.87's with AC-4D drivers, and that magic is next level beyond even the Omega SAMs. For example, I'm hearing insane dynamics and speed with the Voxativ's that weren't there with the Omegas, and for the first time, I'm getting the same "startle" reflex when hearing a drum kit that I get when listening to a drum kit live. Wild experience.

For various headphones and my custom Katana's, everything they do well got better as I went up the Chord range and added the Blu2. You need to audition your setup to see if the "better" you get is worth the significant $$ investment to get to that next level. For example, a friend auditioned my DAVE with his Focal Utopias and compared with Blu2 in the mix, and ordered a Blu2. The lift was real, and the extra $10k was worth it for him, but I would be hesitant to drop the extra $10k to get that lift (we all struggle with where to draw that line, don't we?).

However, with the Utopias and BluDAVE I was not able to hear the crazy holographic soundstage I'm able to hear with the Omegas (and now the Voxativs) once you throw Blu into the DAVE mix. That insane holographic soundstage was enough motivation for me to part with my beloved B&W 2 channel setup and make the major investment in the Voxativs. Once that sorts itself out, I'll start the search for headphones and IEMs that can mimic that experience while at the office or on the go.

I must say that I'm very intrigued by the idea of a single driver IEM. Moving to a single driver 2 channel setup was absolutely transformational for transparency. I look forward to learning more from this community and auditioning the Warbler's at some point!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #144 of 220
Sorry for crashing the thread, but I saw my review and comments had gotten tagged.

To clarify my experience, I found that sound quality and transparency radically increased as I went from the Chord Mojo to Hugo2 to DAVE, then got completely next level with Blu2 got added to the mix (details in my review links below). When I say "degrade", I mean that the headphone or IEM is the bottle neck, and the overall system performance is less than it could be, not that sound is getting worse. It is just that weakest link in the reproduction chain becomes the transducer, and they are holding you back from hearing what the rest of the stack is capable of doing. This is what I meant by "topping out".

Especially, when Blu2 got added to the mix (whether to Hugo2 or DAVE), I found that various headphones, CIEMs (I have Noble Katanas), and 2 channel setups I have all seemed to hit limits for how much better they were getting. Everything got better. Some pieces of kit got better a little less, some got insanely better and I was hearing things I never even thought were there to hear.

For the headphones and CIEM that I have, and for my traditional 2 channel setup (B&W 802d3's + Benchmark amp), the Blu2 highlighted limits of what they could reproduce. It was only with the single driver high efficiency speakers (Omega Super Alnico Monitors) driven directly from the Hugo2/DAVE that everything the Blu2 could do really revealed itself. Since then, I've gotten some Voxativ 9.87's with AC-4D drivers, and that magic is next level beyond even the Omega SAMs. For example, I'm hearing insane dynamics and speed with the Voxativ's that weren't there with the Omegas, and for the first time, I'm getting the same "startle" reflex when hearing a drum kit that I get when listening to a drum kit live. Wild experience.

For various headphones and my custom Katana's, everything they do well got better as I went up the Chord range and added the Blu2. You need to audition your setup to see if the "better" you get is worth the significant $$ investment to get to that next level. For example, a friend auditioned my DAVE with his Focal Utopias and compared with Blu2 in the mix, and ordered a Blu2. The lift was real, and the extra $10k was worth it for him, but I would be hesitant to drop the extra $10k to get that lift (we all struggle with where to draw that line, don't we?).

However, with the Utopias and BluDAVE I was not able to hear the crazy holographic soundstage I'm able to hear with the Omegas (and now the Voxativs) once you throw Blu into the DAVE mix. That insane holographic soundstage was enough motivation for me to part with my beloved B&W 2 channel setup and make the major investment in the Voxativs. Once that sorts itself out, I'll start the search for headphones and IEMs that can mimic that experience while at the office or on the go.

I must say that I'm very intrigued by the idea of a single driver IEM. Moving to a single driver 2 channel setup was absolutely transformational for transparency. I look forward to learning more from this community and auditioning the Warbler's at some point!

Love the surprise crash... A even bigger surprise is your familiarity and interest in Warbler. That's pretty wonderful.

Thank you very much for the clarification. It gives @jelt2359 a reference to go by since very few have similar setups. @jelt2359 is a TOTL IEM legend so would be great to also get his perspective with BluHugo/Dave/BluDave. Hopefully the M scaler will be at least half the price of the Blu2.

I may have to take you up on your open offer for those around Socal next year if I get into full range high-efficiency speakers to experience the magic of your system. I sometimes partake in the fine tradition of tournament poker/Omaha in Oceanside/San Diego so it will be a good getaway.

Thanks again. Your becoming a legend in your own right in the Chord threads..

Edit: I wasn't aware you parted ways with your B&W Diamonds, the Voxativ must be special. Dallas trip was good risk/reward minus dealing with the TSA with all your equipment. The JL sub, wow. I guess after getting Chord products, you have to adjust to a new way of designing one's system without external amps and high efficiency speakers. It's a shift from traditional. Look forward to the day your involved in the IEM threads. I never equated single driver speakers with single driver Prelude. Interesting...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #145 of 220
Edit: I wasn't aware you parted ways with your B&W Diamonds, the Voxativ must be special. Dallas trip was good risk/reward minus dealing with the TSA with all your equipment. The JL sub, wow. I guess after getting Chord products, you have to adjust to a new way of designing one's system without external amps and high efficiency speakers. It's a shift from traditional. Look forward to the day your involved in the IEM threads. I never equated single driver speakers with single driver Prelude. Interesting...

Yes, I spent the last 30+ years lusting after the high end B&Ws and finally made the big step (always been a B&W guy). Couple years later I hear the Chord stack and the single driver speakers and my world is turned completely upside down. Like being the character in "Flatland" that is lifted out of the 2D plane and sees 3D for the first time. Once you hear it, you can't go back (absolutely intoxicating for me...my brain is responding differently to music than it was before). The Voxativ's were me trying to get the best of the Omegas and B&W in one package (it was getting embarrassing to be constantly switching between the two)

The notion of an IEM with no crossovers is very exciting! Looking forward to a universal being available to so I can audition these badboys with the Chord stack, and compare/contrast to the magic I hear with the no cross over speakers.

(and yes, please drop a line when you're in SoCal, happy to host a get together)

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #146 of 220
Earlier today I’ve posted a Prelude review on HF. I don’t consider myself to be such a great technical reviewer to begin with, as I’m often struggling to put signature details that I hear into the right words.
But I gave it my best shot nonetheless, as I truly think that the Prelude is a special IEM, that deserves all the attention it can get...
WP 01.jpg

So please, step into the Wonderful World of Warbler: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/warbler-prelude.22953/reviews#review-19972

Oh, and before reading I would advise to take the red ONE :wink:
giphy.gif

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #148 of 220
Anyone listened to both the Prelude and the new EE Phantom? I'm looking for a primarily DAC-less solution (That is, no external DAC. I will be using the iPhone X's internal DAC only) and have been told the Prelude is a great option specifically for no external DAC and also sounds great with one. Any relevant comparisons to the Phantom? I'm leaning towards getting the Phantom as I tend to drool over what will probably be #1, but if the Phantom might not match up to the Prelude on a DAC-less setup then I might have to suck it up and make the more objective decision.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #149 of 220
Anyone listened to both the Prelude and the new EE Phantom? I'm looking for a primarily DAC-less solution (That is, no external DAC. I will be using the iPhone X's internal DAC only) and have been told the Prelude is a great option specifically for no external DAC and also sounds great with one. Any relevant comparisons to the Phantom? I'm leaning towards getting the Phantom as I tend to drool over what will probably be #1, but if the Phantom might not match up to the Prelude on a DAC-less setup then I might have to suck it up and make the more objective decision.

I'll be able to compare them within the next few days when my Phantom arrives. I'll let you know. :)

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #150 of 220
I'll be able to compare them within the next few days when my Phantom arrives. I'll let you know. :)

That would be so awesome, thank you! I'd be interested to see how they compare straight out of a phone or computer without (and with, too) an external DAC, if it's not too much trouble.

And congratulations on the pair, excited for you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back