Want your personal opinion on interconnects and their effect on sound quality…
May 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #406 of 426
Do not take that picture down... I know its at the expense of astroid but if anyone has read and followed this thread will a test to.... I do believe that this needs to go into a best of head-fi compilation... Its makes head-fi a better place to be! No one should ever take any of it seriously....soooo

all you anti cable guys are clearly inferior to me... I have better hearing, equipment and experience.

May 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #408 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the source is important too, we have people here who say cables cant make a difference and using an ipod as a source. If I had a setup like that I would buy a low end BJC or Audioquest mini to RCA and have confidence that what I am hearing is the best my system is capable of. One thing I have learned is lower end stuff doesnt handle complex music very well. I got a chance to hear a Starving Student at a meet and I was amazed at how nice it sounded for 50 bucks in parts, but it was not dynamic enough to separate everything when the music became complex, ie: lots of instruments over lapping. I really love the CTH amp, I have a big collection of 12AU7/ECC82 tubes and that looks like a super fun build. Maybe when I get some money burning a hole in my pocket and I have time.

yeah, i realized that (that's why i edited my post).
wink.gif

when i was using my oritek omz, i realized it was bottle-necking the sound a bit because all cables sounded pretty much the same. either that or maybe because there tended to be added warmth with that dac. not dissing the oritek in any way, it's an excellent sounding dac and i loved it, but just didn't fit my needs. but that's when i found out how transparency is important.

but the oritek x-1 and x-2 interconnect cables are really excellent too if any of you ever get to try them. i'm using the x-1's now and it really takes the listening experience to another level.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #409 of 426
It alarms me when people are in the possession of a high end headphone, like 650 for example, and cannot discern the differences between sources and amps. It is no surprise to find that they are also in the anti-cable tirade, same with mp3 supporters - all non-believers because in their personal experince has not heard any differences when there are at least an equall number of people who claim that they can hear a difference... is a DBT the ONLY solution, as measurements clearly show differences. My point being that these headphones are simply amazing to enable some of us to hear differences in cables as these differences are usually very minute. I really love my headphones...These little beauties in my mind has proven to me that our understanding of science is not complete.

May 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #410 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It alarms me when people are in the possession of a high end headphone, like 650 for example, and cannot discern the differences between sources and amps. It is no surprise to find that they are also in the anti-cable tirade, same with mp3 supporters - all non-believers because in their personal experince has not heard any differences when there are at least an equall number of people who claim that they can hear a difference... is a DBT the ONLY solution, as measurements clearly show differences.

I think blind testing will only show you very limited results based on circumstances that do not apply to everyone and is certainly not going to give anyone a definitive answer to all the cable debates. It just shows you how one person did with one rig and 2 cables, nothing more. Measurements don't seem to show much either as this debate has been going forever and no one has proved one way or another if cables make a difference. That leaves you with one option left, experience. As for measurements, yes they show differences but most of the people providing these measurements claim that people should not be able to hear those differences. I really don't know what people are supposed to be able to hear as we are all different so once again I revert back to experience, that is what really counts right, going with the equipment that gives you a good listening experience?

May 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #411 of 426
Quote:

Do not take that picture down... I know its at the expense of astroid but if anyone has read and followed this thread will a test to.... I do believe that this needs to go into a best of head-fi compilation... Its makes head-fi a better place to be! No one should ever take any of it seriously....soooo

all you anti cable guys are clearly inferior to me... I have better hearing, equipment and experience.

/deleted

And about your last post, there are indeed some differences between cables, but they are located above 80KHz, when our hearing capabilities don't get past 20KHz.

You only want to see the numbers you want, but then you don't see further. You don't see what those numbers mean.

NOTE: Well you might feel offended with my picture response, but just having a laugh here with your posts
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #413 of 426
All this talk about OFC cables, pure silver etc...made me think. Inside of my Source and DAC...everything is exposed to oxygen and all of the component pins and solder is of some sort of cheap metal material (some silver content I think)...

So, Today I changed all of the solder on all of the PC boards inside my audio-gd compass to solid silver and all of the stems from various components (like volume control pot, capacitors etc) to solid gold. Now I can detect much more bass but the highs are rolled off somewhat. Likewise inside my PC I changed all of the "right-angle" SATA cables to straight-through ones so the signal has a straighter path, and I wrapped the GPU and CPU in solid lead (it is giving off a strange smell now however). Now I can detect a notable difference when I play FLACs from my Seagate drive over my older Western Digital. I almost forgot to mention that I quadruple-shielded the USB cable from the PC to the DAC and now the highs are much more seperated...and somewhat of a wider soundstage.

May 25, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #414 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this talk about OFC cables, pure silver etc...made me think. Inside of my Source and DAC...everything is exposed to oxygen and all of the component pins and solder is of some sort of cheap metal material (some silver content I think)...

So, Today I changed all of the solder on all of the PC boards inside my audio-gd compass to solid silver and all of the stems from various components (like volume control pot, capacitors etc) to solid gold. Now I can detect much more bass but the highs are rolled off somewhat. Likewise inside my PC I changed all of the "right-angle" SATA cables to straight-through ones so the signal has a straighter path, and I wrapped the GPU and CPU in solid lead (it is giving off a strange smell now however). Now I can detect a notable difference when I play FLACs from my Seagate drive over my older Western Digital. I almost forgot to mention that I quadruple-shielded the USB cable from the PC to the DAC and now the highs are much more seperated...and somewhat of a wider soundstage.

Hahaha. Best post so far. Be careful of those lead fumes, but if the result is sonic bliss I'm sure it's worth it.

May 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #415 of 426
Quote:

nah, no offence taken. I never take you seriously.

Yeah, I can see that. That is why you keep writing funny stuff. And at the end you never make sense...

May 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #416 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha. Best post so far. Be careful of those lead fumes, but if the result is sonic bliss I'm sure it's worth it.

I almost forgot to mention that I also recently re-cabled my HD650s with a new pure silver core teflon coated cable that is "hand" rolled between the thighs of virgins in Guatemala. This made the most drastic difference.

...and to further take care of the oxygen problem I have encompassed my entire rig (and myself) in a a giant ziplock bag and I have a pump connected on the outside right now as we speak, pumping out all of the oxygen and I'm already beginning to notice a diff"£r£Q%

May 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #418 of 426
karthur, audio-gd believes cables (obviously) and solder make a difference, that is why they use only wbt tin in their top-tier reference 1 dac, and even put 24k gold-plated rca sockets on the compass. I'm sure solder and stems are of sufficient quality already in the compass.

May 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #419 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by karthur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost forgot to mention that I also recently re-cabled my HD650s with a new pure silver core teflon coated cable that is "hand" rolled between the thighs of virgins in Guatemala. This made the most drastic difference.

...and to further take care of the oxygen problem I have encompassed my entire rig (and myself) in a a giant ziplock bag and I have a pump connected on the outside right now as we speak, pumping out all of the oxygen and I'm already beginning to notice a diff"£r£Q%

Hmmm... I tried all of that so I could be in audiophool heaven too but I did not hear any difference.

My system must not be expensive enough.

May 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #420 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
karthur, audio-gd believes cables (obviously) and solder make a difference, that is why they use only wbt tin in their top-tier reference 1 dac, and even put 24k gold-plated rca sockets on the compass. I'm sure solder and stems are of sufficient quality already in the compass.

I think your sarcasm detector needs new cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back