Want to try something new but with the Shure Fit
Sep 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

swedeinlondon

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of Shure SE420 and have really liked them, although I've seen the reviews are quite harsh against them. A couple of weeks ago the headphones went in a pair of shorts in the wash... unfortunately one of the monitors starting cracking a lot afterwards so I started looking around for a new pair. 

I'm happy to venture out into other brands (had a pair of Shure E3c before). However, I've tried etymotic (hf3) and a pair of ultimate ears (same price range). Both had reasonable output but the noise isolation was not even close to the Shure headphone. I use the medium black foamy tips. 

So I think I'm looking for headphones with similar fit or even better where I can use the same foam tips from Shure. 

I've seen great reviews for the Sennheiser I8, are these compatible with the shure tips?

Any tips are appreciated!

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 8
The IE8s are quite comfortable, once you find the right sleeves and fit, but the Westone UM3x is much more comfortable and isolates a lot better.

I'm not sure how AndyT87 manages to get his Shure sleeves on to the IE8s without any modification - the nozzles are completely different sizes..

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
i am using shure tips on my ie8. they fit on easily with no modification. the tips were taken from an old pair of se102 that I had lying around.

Quite possibly you are but the se420 tips will not fit, there are two sizes of shure tips, one isn't really used any more.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 8
I owned Shure's for years. I finally gave up because I managed to keep destroying them. The tiny nozzle permits more, "meat" of tip in your ear. I don't have small ears and still miss that, but not worth going back for me.

I've owned 2 pairs of IE8s. I bought the 1st pair after destroying my Shure's on a business trip. I hated them. It never occured to me that I would have fit problems. That is how I found this site.

I tried comply, comply installed backwards, Sony hybrid, modified shure olives and finally fell in love with Monster SuperTips.

If you like the Shure's I would try to find something with a small nozzle. You could look at Comply's product selector to figure out what products use the same tips as Shure.

On another note, I LOVE both my Monster Gold and Coppers. Plus they include a ton of great tips. I have another post comparing them to the IE8, which I like too. But the Monsters have a nozzle almost as big as the IE8. If you care about fit, I'd run from the IE8. I ultimately found what works for me but it was an obsessive project.

Monsters were really easy to get to fit. But again, probably a small nozzle is for you.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 8
I was afraid that I the IE8s wouldn't be that fit. I'm really after the tight fit so I'd have to look beyond these. Also, not sure whether I can justify stretching the wallet for the UMX3...

Thanks for the tips in any case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back