Want to step up from a Millet Hybrid
Mar 9, 2007 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

JWFokker

500+ Head-Fier
I've had a Millet Hybrid for a while now, having built one with the very first PCB group buy, and now I'm ready to upgrade to another DIY amp. What would be the next logical step up the ladder? I haven't kept up with DIY headamp developments, so this YAHA/MHHA stuff is unknown to me, and I don't remember where the PPA and M3 stand in terms of sonic fidelity hierarchy.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Dynamight =)

Yep, if you want balanced and complex to build. Dynahi is for single ended.

M3 and PPAv2 are pretty high up there, very good amps. Haven't tried Gilmore's designs yet, but the Tangent's PPAv2 is very nice.

YAHA / MHHA are not as good as the SOHA, and boards and kits are available for it.

CKIII is supposed to be a nice amp as well, inexpensive too with decent parts at around $120.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 38
The Dynahi/Dynamight looks to be way out of my price range and desired level of complexity.

How do the M3/PPAv2/SOHA/CKIII/Bijou stack up to each other for price and performance? If I remember correctly, the M3 was similar but better than the PPA, but I don't recall how much either cost to do a basic build and I have no idea at all about these new amplifiers. I'd like to spend in the $150 range, and no more than $200.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 38
finished my millett last week, last parts for my M3 will be here friday (should be done with that friday evening) and the boards for my dynamight just came in.
half the fun of music is the build.

my M3 cost just about 200 to build with no power supply (the STEPS i made for the millett will plug right in)
i used nice stuff all around.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 38
You might also be interested in the Aikido:

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/newhardware.html

I have the PCB, but my free time has hit a brick wall lately. I will build one eventually. Still, it's a neat design and one of the few tube designs with a PCB.

You might also be interested in one of the kits, like the Bottlehead S.E.X. or the Mapletree Ear Purist.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 38
I'm a Mapletree fan, but the Bottlehead and Aikido are also well regarded. The SOHA is (okay, CAN be) very inexpensive. Also, Nate has an Aikido parts kit for sale (if he hasn't retracted yet).

"I'm getting an image... I see a small leather object floating above your head... wait, what is it?... it's coming in more clearly now... it appears to be... your empty wallet. But you are still smiling, somehow."
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had a Millet Hybrid for a while now, having built one with the very first PCB group buy, and now I'm ready to upgrade to another DIY amp. What would be the next logical step up the ladder? I haven't kept up with DIY headamp developments, so this YAHA/MHHA stuff is unknown to me, and I don't remember where the PPA and M3 stand in terms of sonic fidelity hierarchy.

Have you built a DB for your Millett? That's a major upgrade in itself. Steinchen has a couple you can buy from him right now, I believe, and will offer more when he starts the Group Buy for the SOHA buffers - coming very soon.

The SOHA is definitely an upgrade from a basic Millett; a Millett with a DB is superior, however.

The PPA and M3 - either one - would be a great choice for solid state, but will probably cost more than the tube options above. The CKKIII is in your price range, though.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 38
I'm sitting on a bare SOHA, not convinced that it will be much improvement over my Millett w/ dB. The advantage it has is a little more voltage, it does however still have a big electrolytic cap in the signal path. Still I am going to watch reports as the come in with the new discrete buffers.

The Futterman that Runelight is checking for interest would be a real upgrade. I think it could be built for under $300 depending on the configuration (case) they settle on. So head over to headwize and exert a little peer pressure
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sitting on a bare SOHA, not convinced that it will be much improvement over my Millett w/ dB. The advantage it has is a little more voltage, it does however still have a big electrolytic cap in the signal path. Still I am going to watch reports as the come in with the new discrete buffers.

The Futterman that Runelight is checking for interest would be a real upgrade. I think it could be built for under $300 depending on the configuration (case) they settle on. So head over to headwize and exert a little peer pressure
wink.gif

I don't think Runeight needs any peer pressure. He'll develop it when he has time, for sure. The man travels a lot doing seminars and such.

As stated, the SOHA is a modest, but easily noticeable improvement over the basic Millett. The biggest difference is an enormous amount of bass that radiates from the SOHA. It can be overwhelming - the Millett doesn't really approach the same level of bass. The SOHA tube is very superior, and it's a lot of fun rolling in different types and brands. The 12AU7 is more prominent than almost any other tube, save a 12AX7. The Millett doesn't have that much to pick from. So, if you don't relish loads of bass or tube rolling - I agree - not much over a Millett w/DB's.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you built a DB for your Millett? That's a major upgrade in itself. Steinchen has a couple you can buy from him right now, I believe, and will offer more when he starts the Group Buy for the SOHA buffers - coming very soon.

The SOHA is definitely an upgrade from a basic Millett; a Millett with a DB is superior, however.

The PPA and M3 - either one - would be a great choice for solid state, but will probably cost more than the tube options above. The CKKIII is in your price range, though.

I've got quad-stacked opamps on my Millett now, and at least when they were still working on the diamond buffer, prior to the first DB group buy, it was reported that stacked opamps were very nearly as good. The SOHA is nifty, but I'm looking for something more articulate. More nuanced and detailed.

Considering price, I've narrowed it down the the CK²III or the M3 (superior to the PPA, yes?). Now the decision lies on which gives the best bang for the buck in terms of superiority to the Millett. Is the CK²III a marginal improvement on the Millett, or is it a larger jump like the M3? I've seen it compared to the Dynalo favorably. Better bass was one remark. But then how much better is the M3 than the CK²III? If the M3 only marginally better than the CK²III, I'll likely go the less expensive route. I want a big jump over the Millett, and I can put up to $200 into it if I have to, but I'd rather not if the CK²III gets me 80% of the way there in comparison to the M3.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering price, I've narrowed it down the the CK²III or the M3 (superior to the PPA, yes?).

I've never heard the CK²III but I have extensively compared the PPA to the M³ and if you're looking for more detail and articulation the PPA is the amp to build.

Quote:

I want a big jump over the Millett, and I can put up to $200 into it if I have to, but I'd rather not if the CK²III gets me 80% of the way there in comparison to the M3.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to build either the M³ or PPA for under $200. Yes, of course it can be done, but it will be difficult in my experience. If that's a hard ceiling your best bet is going to be a TREAD powered PPA w/ the AD8610s. You can tuck it in a little Hammond like shown below and have a very capable transportable amp.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the CK²III but I have extensively compared the PPA to the M³ and if you're looking for more detail and articulation the PPA is the amp to build.

I have to agree with n_maher on this one. I built both of them at the same time using the same parts/brands just to make the comparison. Is one better than the other? That's hard to say as they are both fine amps. It really depends on what you are looking for. For me, I find the PPAV2 brighter and more detailed while the M³ smoother with more bass when using the same opamps.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which big electrolytic cap would that be?

C2 and C14 are polypropylene on my SOHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back