Want to get rid of Beats, and get something new.
Jul 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

JakeHT

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new here. Lurked a bit before.

Yes, laugh now but I have the Studio Dre Beats. I bought them when they came out for $300 cdn, they seem to be a little more expensive now.

I did some research before I bought them, and came to the conclusion that they were expensive for what they are, albeit having decent sound quality.

I do like them, they are closed (which I need) so they don't leak too much sound, the noise cancelling works pretty good, and they are amped. So it seemed really convenient to get them.

I really like heavy bass, they do a pretty good job, but I owe all of the sound quality to my sound card, auzentech prelude. They actually do sound okay with my EQ tweaked the way I like it. They sound like crap otherwise (like all headphones probably do)..

I'd like to sell them on kijiji or something, hopefully get over $200 for them, and switch to something else. I'd like to not spend anymore than $300.

So, i ask this, if it isn't too much to ask..

I'll probably need an amp, so I'd appreciate recommendations on a decent cheap amp. Keep in mind my source is my Auzentech prelude, so anything that can be plugged into that would be GREAT!

I would prefer, however not only open to:

- Closed headphone. I wear headphones so other people don't hear my music, or ****! Or any other kind of headphone that I'm not aware of that doesn't leak a lot of sound.
- HEAVY BASS is a must. I don't even listen to that much hip hop but honestly I just love bass.
- To be around 200, since I feel like an amp will be around 100? Guide me if otherwise.
- Have to have better sound quality than the dre beats. I'm sure this isn't hard to accomplish.
- Amp must be able to hook up to my sound card.
- Comfortable would be nice, I don't care what they look like since I only wear them indoors anyways with my computer.

Am I asking too much? I'd just like to try something new. I feel like my money wasn't as well spent as it could have been..

I've been recommended denon before, since they apparently have heavy bass.

BTW, here's a look at my EQ just so you can see that I actually love bass haha.

http://i.imgur.com/kKHAA.jpg

Appreciate any help. Will entertain any questions

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 31
Fanny Wang

Really, a whole lot better then beats and modeled by the same designer
They have their own amps

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 31
^ Don't be a jerk. Fanny Wang's are designed for women (literally)
Look into the sony XB series, I'm sure there is something there you might like. Also give Ultrasones a good look.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 31

Quote:
^ Don't be a jerk. Fanny Wang's are designed for women (literally)
Look into the sony XB series, I'm sure there is something there you might like. Also give Ultrasones a good look.

I wasn't even lying, I'd love to have a Fanny Wang

the Xb series would be good and you wouldn't need a amp for them.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 31
I'm just gonna ignore the fanny wangs lol

I'll look into the xb's

Doing some research still, and came across beyerdynamic dt770. They seem to be what I'm looking for. Any input?

Do the 80 ohm dt770 require an amp? My sound card can push quite a bit of volume, but I'm not really sure what kind of power headphones need.

Also, headphone amps seem to be more expensive than originally anticipated. I'm just looking for something to drive the headphone more, my sound quality would be handled by my sound card.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 31
Ah, yes the 770's are known for bass, I'm afraid I don't know how easily they are driven. I use a Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs Platinum Pro, it powers most of my cans pretty well...

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
I'm just gonna ignore the fanny wangs lol

I'll look into the xb's

Doing some research still, and came across beyerdynamic dt770. They seem to be what I'm looking for. Any input?

Do the 80 ohm dt770 require an amp? My sound card can push quite a bit of volume, but I'm not really sure what kind of power headphones need.

Also, headphone amps seem to be more expensive than originally anticipated. I'm just looking for something to drive the headphone more, my sound quality would be handled by my sound card.

Yes indeed, headphone amps can be rather surprisingly expensive.
As far as amps go, why don't you get a portable amp? There are a few amps out there that do not noticeably color the sound, but can provide extra juice. I don't know what your sources are, so I'm sure a nice amp will increase the bass without muddying it all up.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 31
You could pick up a DT770 with a FiiO E9. The E9 is currently $91 on Amazon.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 31
Draygonn, thanks for the suggestion. This is exactly what I'm looking for!

From my reading of the sony XB700, they seem to be also what I'm in the market for. They are quite a bit cheaper than the dt770s, however I'm sure the dt770 have a bit better sound quality. Although it seems I won't even need an amp for the XB700.

Can anyone compare the two?

Thanks for the help so far. I'm getting somewhere! Hopefully some hipster kid buys my beats haha.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 31
Rather than the XB700, take a look at the XB500. Runs ampless and has more bass.

Alternatively you can try out the Audio Technica Pro700 MK2. IMO, it's a more refined version of the aforementioned models. Review in my sig if you need it.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 31
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to give the xb500 a try, since they are pretty cheap, and from what i'm reading have more bass than the beats, and sound better.

I'm just reading so many good things about the xb500 especially their price.

I won't have to get an amp too, so that makes it even cheaper.

I'll give these a shot, they may just be my ticket. If I'm not impressed I guess I will go the route of dt770s or some other bass heavy headphone. They can be had under 100 bucks so it's not like i'm taking a huge risk in getting them.

Thanks for the help guys! Can't wait to ditch these beats haha.

EDIT: Wow, looks like I can get them for less than 50 bucks. If these are better than the beats than they're even more of a ripoff than I imagined lol.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 31
I believe I recently read an Amazon reviewer who remarks that there is no reason to buy the XB500 over the XB700 whether or not cost is an issue. Then again, this is an Amazon reviewer, and unless they're a head-fi member with a decent number of posts, we don't have anything to go on besides their claims that they're an "audio enthusiast" or "home theater investor" or something else just as ridiculous.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 31
Denon AH-D2000 or 1100.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 31
The XB500's are definitely not better than the Beats. A good bit worse imo--I liked Fanny Wangs more, but you might love them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back