Want a decent setup for College.
Jul 22, 2011 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MosinNagantMan

New Head-Fier
Hello, well first off I am by no means of an Audiophilie but I do like to enjoy my music. Upon preparing for college, I tried to get some over ear headphones for enjoying music in my dorm without disturbing my roommate. I didn't really do much research and got myself the Skullcandy Aviator which sound good for me (sound just as good if not, slightly better than my bro's Beats Pro LOL) but the problem is that they are so hollow that they leak too much sound.

Continuing without research I decided to buy used Beats Studios that turn out to be fakes, however, I do like the fit and the noise cancellation (though the quality with these isn't great, I'm sure real ones are better).

So now that you see how lost I am and how much I am in need of help lol.  I am probably going to buy a new 7th Gen iPod Classic, already have a Dell XPS with iTunes for listening on, just need the headphones right now.  I listen to classical and rock. Like I said my main priority is my roommate not hearing my music, as you can see my audio quality expectation are not high. Thanks ahead of time.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 8
My m-audio q40s have proved to be exceptional beat killers. Much cheaper too. I got mine in like new condition for about $70 in the classifieds

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I would highly recommend this AKG Q701 Premium Reference Headphones to you,good performance and looks so fashionable.It is suitable for students.to t 

That's a terrible recommendation. OP wants closed headphones that do not leak sound.
The Q701 is precisely the opposite of that, and what's more it is said to require good amplification--OP has not said anything about having or wanting to get an amp.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 8
SRH940
Efficient, closed back, isolating, will fit your listening preferences.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Consider Shure SRH840/940? These are popular for closed cans. The other choice would be Audio Technica M50, but i really don't know if these would be good for classical. You can probably search and read some things about them. I think some people say Superlux is good as well, but you have to get them modded for them to sound good. Consider the FIscher Audio FA-003 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back